Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:31:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Vergessen [not currently being worked on anymore]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Vergessen [not currently being worked on anymore]  (Read 106514 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »

An interesting complication might be that players who take damage actually get injured and can't move as fast, shoot as accurately, etc.  So a crafty (and soulless) player might hesitate juuust a few seconds in coming to help, allowing his "friend" to be tragically bitten on the leg by a bear -- this would give him an advantage if/when he needs to kill her, but she'll also be less help, and he might need to get medicine or something to keep her alive.

You are a heartless bastard.

Have sex with me. Immediately.

On that note, I am definitely implementing some sort of permanent damage system. The gameplay possibilities are just too rich to not do it. I'll see what mechanic I can cut out so I have time to implement this one.

SOME FEATURES I WANT TO INCLUDE:

-grid based destructible terrain, for mining/discovery and making shelter
-simple grid based building system, for protection against weather (might cut this out though)
-permanent damage system
-hunger and thirst system
-weather system
-monster system
-day and night system (might cut this out)
-AND MORE
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:20:46 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »

definitely should try to do something that affects mobility, if anything just slow down the animation rate to match,  I really like the concept and look of this game btw Smiley

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 02:27:17 PM »

You had me at backstabbing.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »

Requesting ability to offer your partner one last cigarette before he dies, pan up then fade to black and roll credits.
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »

the game then determines how much food the living player would be able to collect on his own by calculating how many assets are available in the area, then determining if that player won or lost.
This sounds unsatisfying to me. I guess you could possibly make it work if you showed a montage of the player's simulated actions, so you watched your character collecting up the remaining accessible food.

ink.inc
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

the game then determines how much food the living player would be able to collect on his own by calculating how many assets are available in the area, then determining if that player won or lost.
This sounds unsatisfying to me. I guess you could possibly make it work if you showed a montage of the player's simulated actions, so you watched your character collecting up the remaining accessible food.

I could give them the option to play through it, but that wouldn't be very fun for the other player. Yours is a pretty good idea. I'll see if I can implement that in time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:02:20 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »

I kinda feel the boredom of the dead player would actually add to it.

Like, the traitor might hopefully start to feel guilty for killing his partner and for making him just sit through the end of the game.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »

Just want to say I think this entire concept is incredible :O

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »

Do you understand the amazing that you have instilled in this idea?!? I will hunt you down and initiate an irl fistfight if you don't freaking finish this game, brohamlet.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »

By the way, I have a horrible question and you should probably just ignore me.

What happens if the game performs this calculation, and finds that the amount of remaining food is

N - K

Where

N is the amount of food the player needs to survive
K is the amount of "food" that you could potentially make by consuming one human corpse

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »

Considering the nature of this game, cannibalism doesn't seem too out of place.
Conker534
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »

I'd play it. I'd play it allll night.
ink.inc
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »

Do you understand the amazing that you have instilled in this idea?!? I will hunt you down and initiate an irl fistfight if you don't freaking finish this game, brohamlet.

Quote from: Me
My ultimate goal for this project is to have it end with an irl fistfight that has everyone involved in tears

Mission Fucking Accomplished

//cannibalism is a good idea

Yes. Yes it is. And yes, the player left alive will have the option to commit cannibalism in order to secure his continued existence. It was one of the first things I thought about including.

...That says a lot about us, as people, I think.

It's a GUI within a GUI!!!

The planet you're trapped on is called Vergessen. It is a medium sized wastoid of a planet with one moon. The severe weather changes and extremely hazardous flora and fauna prevalent on the surface have made the planet nigh unsuitable for inhabitance. Attempts to colonize it have never been made.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:32:24 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Conker534
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:52 PM »

VERYSEXY.
ink.inc
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2011, 11:05:35 PM »

By the way, thanks for all the support you guys! In all likelihood, if I didn't join TIGSource a year back, I probably wouldn't be working on games at all. Tears of Joy

Recently, I've been doing some reading on the Donner Party Expedition. Learned about them in middle school, but I'm only really looking them up now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

For those who don't know and don't care to check out the link, they were a party of pioneers trying to make it to California in the 1800s. Unfortunately, they got trapped in the Sierra Nevada mountains... in the dead of one of the coldest winters in recorded history. It's a bit morbid to read, but it's a veritable wealth of REALLY dark gameplay ideas.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:16:37 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:24 AM »

Still wondering what I should name my entry...

-Vergessen : name of the planet you're trapped on whatever you do, don't run this through a german translator...
-Eris : name of the goddess of dischord
-The Betrayal : its what you inevitably do

I dunno, maybe it'll come to me later.

Some random frames of the female character I did; right-most one's a bit gimpy and clearly unfinished.

If you'll look really closely, you'll notice that I'm sort of cheating with the pixels by using alpha values (transparency). But I'm working with so few pixels that it looks weird if I don't.

I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of where I want this project to go. Tomorrow, I'll be doing more animations (running, jumping, crouching) and making more art assets, as well as continuing work on the framework of the game.

Tired now; need to go to sleep.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:42:24 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Mr. Wonko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 03:11:46 AM »

Interesting concept, but I don't think I'd enjoy playing it... With all the betraying and backstabbing.

whatever you do, don't run this through a german translator...
Don't need to, I'm German. Wink
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 03:47:59 AM »

-Vergessen : name of the planet you're trapped on whatever you do, don't run this through a german translator...

I forgot what that meant Sad

-Eris : name of the goddess of dischord

THIS! I'll become your folower, and buy you a years supply of a hot-dog yeah, just one
EDIT: It's also a planet (the most distant is solar system)

-The Betrayal : its what you inevitably do

This is too easy...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:14:05 AM by Sos » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 06:24:49 AM »

Vergessen is the best name. Go for that.

Those are some extremely slick sprites, too. I can't wait to see them in motion.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »

whatever you do, don't run this through a german translator...
Well this sure doesn't look like an Elder Scrolls game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic