Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:34:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)[FINISHED] Battle Lines V0.31
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Battle Lines V0.31  (Read 21142 times)
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »

I'll copy and paste the entire code for checking input. Basically, on the Input.released() command, it throws a new unit on the screen after adding it to an army array.

I think the problem lies in the Input.released("1P_ACCEPT"). When the key-repeat kicks in on Linux then Flash Player starts to receive cyclic key release events and thus Input.released() returns true (Flixel has the same problem).

Anyways, take a look at this piece of code: http://gist.github.com/847489. It overcomes the key-repeat problem by doing some book-keeping of a given key state. Do you think it would be much work to do something similar in your code?

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the link. Smiley I have some free time tonight so I'll try and make a revision to my submission .swf; I'll post when the fix is in and if you could verify it, that'd be greatly appreciated. :D

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »

Unbuntu people, can you see if this fixes the spacebar problem?

http://www.kavs.ca/versus/Versus_Unbuntu.swf

Not sure if it will, but it works fine on Windows/Firefox. Anyone else notice anything weird with the game?

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »

Unbuntu people, can you see if this fixes the spacebar problem?

I've got a message from a friend using Ubuntu that it's all right now. CTRL and SPACE work as intented. Grin

As for me, I'll be able to test it in about 12 hours. Smiley

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »

That's what I like to hear. Smiley

Apologies for the lazy coding, and I really appreciate you hooking me up with that source!

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 12:49:53 PM »

Glad I could help. Gentleman

RichVreeland
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »

this is a sweet little game! i simulated the best i could by controlling both sides... liked watching all the weak dudes come out, hehe ... the worst part about playing the games for this compo is forgetting to bring a friend over!
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »

We enjoyed this one. Everyone thought it was very cute!

Some thoughts:
  • We had trouble reading the white text on light orange on the TV we used. It wasn't a great TV, though.
  • It needs a replay button! We had to keep refreshing the browser.
  • We would have loved a dance party screen.
  • Eventually we found a strategy that we couldn't beat. Spam a little guy right away to capture the flags and then just send out single 200 level guys as fast as your money goes up. Nothing we tried could beat this.

It's good in its simplicity, but I feel like it needs something, some subtle tweak to keep it balanced or to add another level of strategy. Something to keep it from being essentially a numbers game.

Some quick brainstorms:
  • Maybe the order you send out units could be important somehow?
  • Perhaps higher level units could move slower. And faster units won't pass friendly slower units -- letting the stronger unit lead the charge.
  • Or each level of unit could act in a unique way. e.g., Level 2 units jump, level 3 units push enemies back but don't damage them, etc...

Ok, my ideas are getting a little overly complicated now. We liked the game because it's simple and cute!

Anyway, we had fun. Thanks for making it!
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »

Fluff! Amazing feedback! Thank you so much. Kiss I've responded in green below. This feedback is super valuable and is encouraging to receive. I'm glad you guys were able to have some fun with it. :D

We enjoyed this one. Everyone thought it was very cute!

Some thoughts:
  • We had trouble reading the white text on light orange on the TV we used. It wasn't a great TV, though.

Apologies for the orange background on white text; I should have put more thought into different TVs/Monitors. I guess the tutorial doesn't do a whole lot of good if you can't read it. Wink

• It needs a replay button! We had to keep refreshing the browser.

As for a replay button, if you press [ESC] it will exit back to the main menu. I actually used to call this out in the game over screen, but for some reason I removed it right before the end. It never seemed like a problem to me because I knew the keys, but that's important feedback to miss. :D I've just snuck in a small fix for this by re-adding that text for the game over screen, as well as adding a 'restart' option by pressing [R].

• We would have loved a dance party screen.

Yeah, dance party for the winning side would have been the way I'd like to have ended it, but project neglect meant that I had to settle for a purple screen with white text. Tongue

• Eventually we found a strategy that we couldn't beat. Spam a little guy right away to capture the flags and then just send out single 200 level guys as fast as your money goes up. Nothing we tried could beat this.

Yeah, the winning strategy I've found is a big guy coupled with a few weaker ones right behind. I think I made the $200 too strong by giving them that much damage. I'm actually disappointed with the combat in this build; it's all resolved by frame. I started to add attack-speed and things like that but ran out of time, so it's all in at a super simplified level.

[/list]

It's good in its simplicity, but I feel like it needs something, some subtle tweak to keep it balanced or to add another level of strategy. Something to keep it from being essentially a numbers game.

Some quick brainstorms:
  • Maybe the order you send out units could be important somehow?
  • Perhaps higher level units could move slower. And faster units won't pass friendly slower units -- letting the stronger unit lead the charge.

These 2 items fit in well together. At the very end of development, I tried to hack in a change that would make movement speed relative to the unit's health but it just wasn't feeling right. That would have allowed for strategies and skill involving stacking units ontop of eachother at just the right timing, which would have definitely helped the strategy side of things and made the game a bit more engaging. I'd have loved to add a 2nd lane to conquer as well. Having a fight on 2 fronts would have made this a lot more engaging.

• Or each level of unit could act in a unique way. e.g., Level 2 units jump, level 3 units push enemies back but don't damage them, etc...

I like the idea of having some variance, but I told myself I'd start with simple melee only and once that worked, add in archers and special units and such. Sadly, it remained in that state for the rest of development. Wink I like your idea about pushback/crowd control!

[/list]

Ok, my ideas are getting a little overly complicated now. We liked the game because it's simple and cute!

Anyway, we had fun. Thanks for making it!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic