Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:39:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)extreme tag
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: extreme tag  (Read 6610 times)
BoxedLunch
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »

EXTREME TAG
decided i'd make a game about tag. it'll play much like tag, with a player being "it" and only being able to pass on the role by tapping somebody else. but this game will have the added risk of each player being a literal human time-bomb, and as long as your it, your life-meter keeps ticking until you are dead.

the game will be an arena platformer, with vertically/horizontally wrapping screens, allowing for combat at all angles. the combat will mostly be non-damaging melee attacks that are focused on pushing opponents into whoever happens to be "it" at the time. there will also be power-ups such as guns for ranged combat, timer increases, invincibility, and possibly more.

i'll keep this topic updated as it progresses.

===========================================================================
VIDEOS

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:10:15 PM by boxedlunch » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »

Woah, this thread passed by me.

The idea of pushing around people, and the time-bomb, makes this a game that would work REALLY WELL with huge amounts of people! I'd love to play with like, thirty two people, or other crazy large numbers like that.

Looking forward to seeing how you use your signature style, too!
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »

This sounds super interesting. Seconding Inanimate's "thirty-two people", or better yet, two hundred and fifty-six.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »

4 of the player sprites. i plan to add a few more so everyone gets assigned a random one each round.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:02:38 PM »

Will the fish open and close its mouth? If so, it is my favorite.  Kiss
BoxedLunch
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:04:29 PM »

Will the fish open and close its mouth? If so, it is my favorite.  Kiss
I'll try and give each some form of idle animation.
mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »

Very much digging the idea of the indirect conflict of pushing people into the 'it.'
namre
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

Who will be the next "it" if the one who is currently "it" explodes?

4 of the player sprites. i plan to add a few more so everyone gets assigned a random one each round.

Fishes are awesome. A person with a fish for a head is more awesome.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:05:37 PM »

Fishes are awesome. A person with a fish for a head is more awesome.

Well, you have to take into account the fact that these people have no arms or proper torsos, so the fish is the body and the head.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »

i plan on having a quick moving blob that floats freely around the screen until it hits somebody. that or I'll just go with whoever happens to be closest to the exploding "it".i'm pretty sure the blob would be a more fair option though, considering it gives players at least some fair chance.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:18 PM »

Arg, I started working on a game earlier today that's basically the same game as this but with tiny forest animals. Oh well. Tongue

My games on  GameJolt.com

BoxedLunch
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »

just finished the basic sprites for the first 4 player types, now i've just gotta finish the next 4 and add in some combat/"it" sprites for them.
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »

please make it so that when 'it' runs out of time he explodes in an enormous mushroom cloud

please i'm begging you

p.s. that could also prevent people getting unlucky and hitting the 'it blob' early, since the explosion would knock everyone all over the place Evil

p.p.s. alternately, instead of a blob, maybe the dead player hangs around as a ghost, who is faster than everyone else but only lasts until he passes his curse on. as revenge, of course.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »

p.p.s. alternately, instead of a blob, maybe the dead player hangs around as a ghost, who is faster than everyone else but only lasts until he passes his curse on. as revenge, of course.
since the start, i was considering an after-death interaction thing, in the form of players having an air burst attack which they would have to let recharge (so they aren't too powerful), but it would act similar to a punch from a normal player with the added advantage of being able to float around the field. this way the remaining players could influence the game in the way they want.

anyway, i got some info on gamepad support so I'm working on that, I'll post a video once i finish the platform engine.
Conker534
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »

Tired
 Hand Shake Left

..can't stop
BoxedLunch
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »

made a crappy prototype video. the platform engine in it isn't very good yet, and since i'm playing with a gamepad, i haven't added in certain things due to my all of my knowledge of gamepads is all in the past couple of hours. i'll release another one when i add in a few more features and polish.

mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

The screen wrapping looks like brilliant fun.
namre
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 06:54:45 AM »

Hail the fish head kid. I'll always pick that character.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »

I'm attempting to make some functions for the gamepad that aren't normally in game-maker. not quite sure whether i should be happy that i'm making something i've never done before, or pissed that game-maker didn't have these in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:37:00 PM by boxedlunch » Logged
BoxedLunch
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 05:33:59 PM »

the other four player sprites

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic