Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:00:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Silent Business - Victorian Assassins!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Silent Business - Victorian Assassins!  (Read 14475 times)
ChevyRay
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »

Thanks for the name suggestions, guys! Haha some really good ones. For some reason I really like "Silent Business", it kinda has a dark assassin vibe to it, but seems to also fit with the fairly cartoon-style visuals we've got happening so far.

Will see, plenty of great name ideas so far! Hehe

Thanks for the feedback too, glad people are liking the ideas/art. Can't wait to have something playable!
fidgetwidget
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »

Figured I should post an update now that I have something more to show.

Here is the walking animation so far (I am not happy with the last frame of the side animation). Let me know what you think!

mak'n a game. liv'n the dream.

http://fidgetwidget.ca
Maqrkk
Level 0

Coffee.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 06:44:32 AM »

The closest I can come to describing my feelings now is: Holy fucking fuck. This project is too good to be true. The art looks brilliant, the gameplay sounds ridiculously amazing. Do want. Now.

I like coffee, debugging and industrial hardcore. <3
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 11:38:35 AM »

This puts me in mind of Spy versus Spy. Loving the sound of the mechanics you're mixing in.

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 12:56:51 PM »

For some reason I really like "Silent Business", it kinda has a dark assassin vibe to it, but seems to also fit with the fairly cartoon-style visuals we've got happening so far.
I like it too, it caught my eyes immediately. It's kind of mysterious, it's short and just sounds good.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »

They're illegal in the Canadars.
What? That's stupid.
Don't you guys have to fight bears like every weekend up there in the frigid northlands?
(I actually don't know that I can carry mine legally where I live, either. I can have them, but I may not be able to carry them around without a permit. It's because of the "dagger" part, though, not the "throwing" part.)

Also, I agree that it needs stilettos, but I'm going to guess those are wretched for throwing.

I don't have a lot to say that isn't about knives. Sorry.
Oh, I approve of "Silent Business", though.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »

Hey Chevy just wondering how are you handling what happens if two players both select the same space to move to?
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »

How about "Nasty Business"?  That seems like what a Victorian constable with a ludicrously well-maintained pair of moustaches might say about it in the aftermath. Evil
ChevyRay
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »

Hey Chevy just wondering how are you handling what happens if two players both select the same space to move to?

This can happen with NPCs as well, since they are treated the same as players as far as movement is concerned. Priority will be given to the unit nearest to the spot, if they are equal priority will be chosen 50/50 at random, and the player that did not get the spot will be moved as close to that spot on his path of movement as possible (it will be a cycle until all units are placed).

Something like that.
ChevyRay
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »

Alright, got a SHIT load of work done today!

The game board is being generated on the server end, so the map is created and all the NPCs are being added to it in random empty spots (for now). Then, each player is assigned to one of those NPCs, and once that is done, all the information is mirrored back out to the clients where they duplicate the map on their end.

From that point on, the players just send action requests to the server; the server will check to see if the action is legal, and if so add it to the action queue. Once all the players have selected their actions, the server will choose actions for all the NPC players as well. Then, all the actions will be performed at once, and the results broadcasted back out to all the players so they can update their maps accordingly.

Next up:

• Properly dealing with simultaneous actions.
  • Add NPC actions and pathfinding between points.
  • Make a way to properly select and perform different actions on the client end.

Once I get the action system all set up and working how I want, things should really start to get interesting; then, I'll also be able to play around and start getting an idea for how the game is going to feel.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:08:29 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »

Sounds great! I also really like the way you're handling the problem of aggressive/passive actions. It's a really nice solution.

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »

Lookin' good man! Excited to play this with a bunch of people when it's done  Grin

ChevyRay
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »

Next up:

• Properly dealing with simultaneous actions. DONE-ish
  • Add NPC actions and pathfinding between points. DONE-ish
  • Make a way to properly select and perform different actions on the client end. DONE-double-ish

Also completed:

• Turns are now simultaneous. Once all players have submitted their turns (and the server has deemed them legal), they are performed and the results echoed back to the clients.
  • Added in a camera system that follows your player unit around. You can also pan the camera around a bit by moving the mouse to "look around" in each direction. Feels nice and smooth already and I've barely tweaked it.

Sooo next up on my list of things to do is:
  • Generate the house-blocks and door objects when the room is generated, and echo that information out to all the clients when the game starts (with the initial tilemap/entity data).
  • Figure out how crowd spots are going to work.
  • When I've figured that out, think up some way to create paths+behaviour for the NPCs (not looking forward to this atm ugh, but should be okay once i get it worked out).
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »

This is another game that could do with an

fidgetwidget
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »

This is another game that could do with an

Hans Zimmer is amazing, but personally I prefer this :

this too : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5zpHI49nrY

mak'n a game. liv'n the dream.

http://fidgetwidget.ca
ChevyRay
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 10:39:53 PM »

Some houses:

These are not all variations of the houses either. Fidgetwidget has cooked up different wall types, chimneys, windows, doors, and roof types. This week, I'm going to get together with a few programmer buddies in town and get them to help me with the code to generate the towns and houses' placement and variations within them.

:D
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »

Hand Joystick
i do awesome soundtracks.

(on good days)

hi
ChevyRay
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2011, 10:54:56 PM »

Oh, I know! This post actually popped up just a couple days ago:

Skull Pogo is a hugely addictive game that is also tremendously satisfying and frustrating. But that’s what makes it great. A must-play for soundtrack alone.

I just feel bad because it took me so fucking long to pay you last time. Embarrassed Actually, I have someone writing up some music for it now Smiley but I really appreciate the offer! <3<3
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 09:18:29 AM »

Oh, I know! This post actually popped up just a couple days ago:

Skull Pogo is a hugely addictive game that is also tremendously satisfying and frustrating. But that’s what makes it great. A must-play for soundtrack alone.

I just feel bad because it took me so fucking long to pay you last time. Embarrassed Actually, I have someone writing up some music for it now Smiley but I really appreciate the offer! <3<3

No worries! I still love you! I'll just harass you at GDC. (;

hi
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic