Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:37:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)[insert Awesome Game Name]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [insert Awesome Game Name]  (Read 9627 times)
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:42:08 AM »

I have no idea what it'll be yet, but it will be 3d and feature multiplayer of some sort...

Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »

Sorting out my working environment and such, at the moment I think I'll be using:

- Linux for most dev work (but periodically testing in win/osx)
- C++, (g)vim as the IDE, scons for building
- Custom engine (incomplete, but largely functional, I'll be working on it as I go)
- Midleware/libs:
   - Ogre3d
   - OpenAL
   - OIS
   - Chaiscript
   - raknet (or maybe boost.asio if I can make it work...)
- Blender for 3d
- Gimp for 2d
- sfxr for some crappy audio
- musagi or lmms or something if I try to make music

Still not sure on the actual concept, but some ideas are rolling around in my head..

I might look into collaborating, if any people with 3d art or audio skills want to team up...

Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »

Testing graphics and GUI stuff (not shown, but scripting, audio, and input seem to be working just fine as well). Most of this was preexisting as the testing thingy for the engine, but now it has a versus sprite thingy  Grin

And no it isn't a minecraft clone, the testing model is just a randomly subdivided/extruded cube room thing...

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »

fast progress o.o

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous. I love those colors.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »

At this right, you'll have a completed game by tomorrow.  I'd be just about shitting my pants right now if I were the competition.
Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »

fast progress o.o
At this right, you'll have a completed game by tomorrow.  I'd be just about shitting my pants right now if I were the competition.
Most of it is just the engine (which I've been working on for a month or two) doing its thing (the 'game' itself is less than 200 lines, just loading the 3d map and some basic testing stuff), but it does all seems to be fitting together nicely...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love those colors.
Thanks!

Okay, I decided to use enet (http://enet.bespin.org/) instead of raknet, since it's much smaller and simpler. I got it integrated with the engine nicely enough, still a lot to be done but I can send packets about on my machine (should work across networks too, but I've yet to test...).

Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »

Finally got a break in schoolwork and I can get back into this!

I'm leaning towards doing something sort of Splinter Cell multipler-style (sort of spy vs. security), but the "security" side only gets to use security camera feeds and autoturrets and such (maybe they get to go ahead of the spies and plant traps and such too... hmmmmm...

Art style will probably be fairly minimal (maybe some snazzy lighting/shadow effects, since stealth is important, but I wanna keep sys reqs low, so we'll see...)

I've got a good deal of engine work to do before I get to actual gameplay, so this is subject to change pretty significantly, but I'm liking this idea at the moment...

Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:43:42 AM »

Progress has been a bit slower than I'd like thanks to school, and networking being harder than I expected...

No gameplay at all yet...

But here's something. The red arrows are other clients (no interpolation or anything yet, so motion is choppy...), it handles all the adding of new clients and notifying them all when one joins/leaves and broadcasting data among them.

Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 07:03:09 PM »

Been busy with school, but finally putting in some work again...

Still not quite sure where this is going, but I felt like making a minecraft-style block/voxel rendering thing (should make level design easier, and allow for destruction and such...), so here's something Shrug:

Same thing but with minecraft textures for the heck of it:

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »

I'm still quite intrigued.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »

I'm also very interested to see how this goes. Good luck. Beer!

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »

Awesome, keep 'em coming.

Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »

Wrote up the physics subsystem (using bullet), and made the minecraft mesh thing update properly with it.

Also messing with visuals (thinking something Tron-ish)

(yuck, the image scaled badly...)

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »

I'm curious how you feel about bullet. How easy is it to get started with?

I played around with ODE a little at one point, more recently I read over some Bullet samples but didn't actually use it. Bullet seems a zillion times nicer to use but also the programming interface seems a little... ad hoc maybe?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 12:44:04 AM »

I played around with ODE a little at one point, more recently I read over some Bullet samples but didn't actually use it. Bullet seems a zillion times nicer to use but also the programming interface seems a little... ad hoc maybe?

It's documentation leaves a lot to be desired, and parts of it seem a little backwards, but it seems to work pretty nicely (I've been using it for probably a year now). Seems as though you can really do a lot of tricky stuff if you know your way around it, at the cost of an iffy interface compared to the competitors.

If you've used a similar engine before it shouldn't be too tough to get started (I used Newton and PhysX prior to switching to bullet), they all function about the same, once you know one it's just a matter of translating. It's been a while since I switched, but it seemed to go pretty smoothly (it was mid-project, and I basically find/replaced the PhysX versions of things with bullet's versions...).

suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 03:07:25 AM »

It's documentation leaves a lot to be desired, and parts of it seem a little backwards, but it seems to work pretty nicely (I've been using it for probably a year now). Seems as though you can really do a lot of tricky stuff if you know your way around it, at the cost of an iffy interface compared to the competitors.

If you've used a similar engine before it shouldn't be too tough to get started (I used Newton and PhysX prior to switching to bullet), they all function about the same, once you know one it's just a matter of translating. It's been a while since I switched, but it seemed to go pretty smoothly (it was mid-project, and I basically find/replaced the PhysX versions of things with bullet's versions...).

David Rosen compared bullet and ode over at the wolfire blog a little while back. found it
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/03/Comparing-ODE-and-Bullet

might be useful.

Riley Adams
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »

Yeah that wolfire post is a great explanation of it.

Working more on art style possibilities. You can now add and remove blocks a la minecraft... also started playing with particle effects, and made an explosion effect.

Dunno where this is going but at least I'm doing all the fun technical stuff I've been meaning to do...

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »

Suggo/Riley thanks.

(This Physics Abstraction Layer thing also sounds fascinating but I'm not sure I'd try to actually use it because it's just one more thing I have to get working...)

Riley maybe the game can have players fighting each other with technical effects. Particle effects vs light bloom! ONLY ONE CAN WIN

The sort of structures made of randomly scattered blocks look kind of cool. Can you maybe do something with making actual levels out of that? It makes me think of this old digipen project called glitch.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Conker534
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »

Wrote up the physics subsystem (using bullet), and made the minecraft mesh thing update properly with it.

Also messing with visuals (thinking something Tron-ish)

(yuck, the image scaled badly...)

God that is great looking.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic