Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:59:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Relationship the game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Relationship the game  (Read 1706 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »

First compo, I'll try to finish it. Inspired by final fantasy chronicle awesome multi player.

The goal is to maintain a relationship gauge with another player through certain activities. If the activities are not done right, the relation depletes. Players have also individual task and objectives to carry on that harm the relationship but give them more power to do the collaborative task. There will be a combo scoring system into activities that also harm the efficiency of the other player but is important to carry on the mutual task.

That's the guideline for now
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:23:07 PM by GILBERT Timmy » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »

Mmm, interesting concept. Could you explain better how it focuses on the competitive aspect?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »

It was early note, i thought up some mechanics to guide me. But the initial idea was to capture the emulation between friends and the rivalry that arise in cooperation.

It's always fun in game like bomberman when you team up against someone else only to betray the second after, or we all know the kind of rush we have for items like energy or score in game like street of rage or FFCC.

Right now I was thinking up of a better name: "The BEST friend" were friend compete to be the truly best friend. Player are scored about how they handle the relationship (+ efficiency at work) and the better friend is the winner.

I'm looking for an over the top ambiance similar to phoenix wright if possible, seemingly simple things blow out of proportion in a tongue in cheek tone.

EDIT:

There is a balance with 3 resources: task completion quality, personal performance, relation.

Basically to be the best friend you must out perform the other player, but if you outperform the other player you may weaken the relation. Also if the other player under perform it hurt the completion quality.

Helping the other player performing well would help the current task but decrease your chance to be the best friend but increase your relation.

Doing your own goal decrease relation, decrease task, but build up performance.

This is the system currently, I'm still balancing the hi level mechanics to have a good RPS system.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:48:12 PM by GILBERT Timmy » Logged

yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »

Sounds like a sort of... continuously iterated Prisoner's Dilemma.  I.e. it's a competition where directly competing makes you lose.  Which is awesome.
jwk5
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:06:09 AM »

I was hoping you'd be entering this contest, you are one of my favorite posters here on TIGS so I was pretty interested in seeing what kind of game you might enter with. This definitely sounds like it could be interesting, I will have to keep tabs on it! What tools will you be using to make it?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

While I will finish the game, I will not making it in time, My workflow is currently broken beyond measure and I'm not learning c# (unity) fast enough. I'm also in a transitional phase IRL that does not help me Sad

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic