Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:58:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Frudglebutt! [DONE... well, kinda!]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Frudglebutt! [DONE... well, kinda!]  (Read 14146 times)
Conker534
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »

Awesome characters.  Wink
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 06:42:02 PM »

Looks great!  It's pretty difficult to keep track of all the rules while playing though.  Maybe some visual reminders (in-game) about what cards can be played on, and what extra actions each enable would be helpful.  Actually, I can't help but wonder if the card-graphics could be substituted with some other facade to make the rules even more clear(?).
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 02:04:50 AM »

As your game was previously known as "Bunny Girl" beta carotene was a pun. It's the thing that gives the orange color to carrots  Smiley
gah, I should have seen the connection there, well, maybe I'll put a bunnygirl character into the next version.

Wow the character animation and controls are incredible. How did you do the tails?
Thanks! as for the tails I have a script that takes a chain of bones and makes it behave all rope like, I originally made it for hair, but I've found it useful for lots of stuff thats 'ropey'. it's a mess but I'm happy to share it if you want. Smiley

Looks great!  It's pretty difficult to keep track of all the rules while playing though.  Maybe some visual reminders (in-game) about what cards can be played on, and what extra actions each enable would be helpful.  Actually, I can't help but wonder if the card-graphics could be substituted with some other facade to make the rules even more clear(?).
yeah this is a serious issue, I only got round to seeing the game actually played by multiple people on tuesday, and it was next to impossible to keep track of everything going on. and your suggestion was mirrored by a couple of people there.
stuff like having your avatar flash when it's your turn, cards changing colour depending on wether they can be placed on the pile or not, having a little time between turns and maybe even a messagge like "player X failed their turn, Player Y GET READY!"

but tbh I'm thinking thr rules are perhaps a bit to complicated as they are, I'm super happy with how the core controls worked out and I'm tempted to make the card gameplay much simpler and like you say, change the cards to something a little more distinguished.

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »

Thanks! as for the tails I have a script that takes a chain of bones and makes it behave all rope like, I originally made it for hair, but I've found it useful for lots of stuff thats 'ropey'. it's a mess but I'm happy to share it if you want. Smiley

That would be great! I'd love to see how that works. I'm just getting started with Unity myself so I appreciate any learning opportunities!
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »

The movement and animation are so smooth; this is turning out really great!
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »

I'm just getting started with Unity myself so I appreciate any learning opportunities!
it's a real mess so I'd be weary of trying to learn from it, but here you go, just drop that on the root of a bone chain Smiley

I know I said I wouldn't be working on this in a while, but I got one thing out of the way, and thought "I'll just fix one thing" then one thing became a whole list and... well... NEW VERSION TIME!

Download Latest (V0.2, Beta II):
Windows - OSX

most important things about this release are that the game finally has a bunny girl, and that there are 2 new game modes. the shithead (now just 'card') mode is pretty much unchanged, but you can tweak game settings to make it a little more bearable if you insist on playing it Wink

as for the 2 new modes, you have Survival and Feed the Thing!
survival is pretty much hurt each other for points, I think it should be pretty fun and a nice less complex and confusing mode. I mean, card fucked me up and I made the bloody thing.
Feed the thing, though I haven't tested it properly with other players (will do after a sleep), I think is going to be the most fun mode. you must be first to reach the thing, and whilst you own the thing you can feed it cards, but thats ALL you can do, no shields, no attacks, no traps. but feeding the thing is the only way to get points, so if you own the thing, you're everybody's target :D

less important but still good new things are missles now fire 3 at once instead of one, and don't look quite so crap, card pickup points now have timers to limit how often they can be used (can turn it off in the settings though) and a few other neat little tweaks and fixes Smiley

screenage time:

seriously, if I update this again before Lottie's Dungeon, someone shoot me.  Embarrassed

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »

so got round to playing the game with some folk today, and made some improvements (I knoooow what I said last post, pretend I didn't  Embarrassed)

Download Latest (V0.21, Beta II.I):
Windows - OSX

Made card graphics, better trap model, + other visual tweaks to tie the cards to their behaviours better.

most importantly though, you have the option of displaying your hand and health right over your character, since looking back and forth at the hud is a big distraction. also, instead of having buttons for 'move card selection left, move card selection right and use card', there are now just buttons to use each card Smiley same number of buttons, but much less distracting.

just reducing the number of things you have to think about that aren't playing the game :D

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »

most importantly though, you have the option of displaying your hand and health right over your character, since looking back and forth at the hud is a big distraction. also, instead of having buttons for 'move card selection left, move card selection right and use card', there are now just buttons to use each card Smiley same number of buttons, but much less distracting.

just reducing the number of things you have to think about that aren't playing the game :D

Great choice of controls, imo. I like this better.
I want to play this with someone, so I'll try to test it out with some friends tomorrow.
Nice work!

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »

it's a real mess so I'd be weary of trying to learn from it, but here you go, just drop that on the root of a bone chain Smiley

Haha, thanks! I'll have to model something with a long bone chain now to test it out properly! :D

Also I'm looking forward to what other names this game takes on before the end!
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »

for fluff, got a new fixed up version of the ribbon script I put together at the UK TIGjam last month, now supports nested ribbons and fixed a gross glitch, here y'are :D

anyhoo, it's that time again:

Download Latest (V0.3, Beta PINUS):
Windows - OSX

this version is really just a bunch of new avatar models, and the game now saves stuff like created character profiles, input settings and game options. so you only need to set that stuff up once (unless you are happy with defaults and random/default charas, then you need to set it up zero times!)

here's the new avatar models:

I was going to add a new level, maybe with some air jets that blow you around and some spinny saws to give damage it you are pushed into them, also I coded sound and put some sound effects in but it sounded horrible so I decided for the time being it's best mute.

was going to fix that stuff, but I started watching Buffy season 2, and damnit I had to know if Angel was going to get his soul back, would they find the floppy disc with the translated incantation? would Ozz ever appear in 2 episodes in a row before season 3? would Spike get into a fight whilst in the wheel chair?

all these questions needed answers. and whether I was right to seek them out instead of putting more polish into the game before the compo deadline is not something you or I can say, only history, and our children will know.

I'll work on it more some other time though Smiley

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 07:23:58 PM »

for fluff, got a new fixed up version of the ribbon script I put together at the UK TIGjam last month, now supports nested ribbons and fixed a gross glitch, here y'are :D

Aw, thanks! I really dig that ribbon effect. New characters are looking good, as usual.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:56:55 AM by Fluff » Logged
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »

Ok we tried this with two people on keyboards the other day. We all liked the movement, controls and interaction with walls -- all very intuitive and smooth. It's fun just running around, spamming cards randomly. But, ultimately, the card system left us confused and unsatisfied.

We didn't know:
How many cards are there?
What card produces what effect?
What is the purpose of this effect?

We weren't able to make effective use of any of the cards, despite there being some with cool effects.

Maybe it was the perspective, or the fact they both share finely-tuned movement controls, but we really just felt like attacking each other directly Smash Bros style and knocking each other around.

This led to a brief discussion: Do you keep trying to make the card system work or switch to a less original, but more proven style of gameplay? How the cards work now, a simple fighting mechanic would probably be more satisfying. But then does the game lose some of it's novelty? Does it lose some of the reason to play it in the first place? We couldn't decide what was better.

Thanks, and good luck!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic