Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:16:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)The Snap [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: The Snap [Finished]  (Read 57507 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »

This music video wraps around 60 seconds in.

It does feel like it doesn't have enough guns and violence though.
OMG Kylie !!!

Yeah, I've watched this video at least 20 times already since I discovered it a couple years ago. Time to go watch it times 21 through 25.

Incidentally, I think "

" would also provide a fantastic basis for a video game. I imagine two people at opposite ends of a field, they can see each other clearly but when they start trying to move toward each other a maze made out of those flickery walls materializes keeping them apart... doesn't really sound like a Vs. game though.

Didn't someone on this forum make a 2D platformer using the time loop idea at some point? Like, not something like P.G. Winterbottom or Company of Myself, something with a fixed-length loop that kept doubling back on itself. I remember this but it may have just been a Feedback thread for a game that was never finished...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:11:24 PM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »

Day 0

Mac build (r16)
Windows build (r16)

---

Today experimented with 3D physics engines. I was thinking, since someday I really would like to have the option of expanding this into a fully 3D sort of thing, I would implement this with 3D physics and just snap it to a plane. I tried out the Bullet physics engine and it seems actually fantastic, a big improvement over ODE in several ways. I got as far as being able to modify the "CCD" demo to make it 2D/planar. However the more I thought about it the more it seems like trying to learn to work with Bullet would be a big and possibly unbounded time drag, and I don't have a whole lot of time to work with here. Also at some point I decided I don't actually want to use the physics in my physics engine, not for the compo at least, and I only want the physics in there for collision detection. So I'm just going to stick with Chipmunk, which is what Jumpcore (my personal "game engine") uses by default.

Started a new project, and as promised, my end-of-day builds actually are linked above. However, all they do right now is produce a blank screen...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:19:51 PM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 04:16:31 AM »

Whaaaaaaaaaaat Durr...?

This game sounds like it will be most delicious chaos! Drop everything else you're doing, I want full commitment to this project!

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »

Day 1

Mac build (r19)
Windows build (r19)

Status: It draws a black screen with a green square. If you use the WASD keys the green square moves around.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:19:39 PM by mcc » Logged

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »

And FYI as of tonight I am now duplicating the content I post here at my blog thing

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »

Day 2

Mac build (r21)
Windows build (r21)

Status: Option of 1 or 2 players; in 2 player mode there is a blue and a green player. Each player can now fire bullets (the small squares). Player 1 moves with WASD and fires with IJKL; player 2 moves with FXCV and fires with HBNM.

But there's no collision logic on the bullets yet, so they just bounce around and accumulate in the corners of the screen.

Thoughts:

- I cannot help but think. What if I just stopped here? Like, maybe added damage from bullets and said, okay, here's my 2p arena shooter. How on earth would anyone play this? The WASD/FXCV scheme would require the players to configure themselves in extremely odd ways to reach the keys; Player 2 would basically have to be sitting in Player 1's lap. Perhaps we can think of this as an activity for couples.

- These controls can't stay even if the Twister problem is fixed. Firing diagonally is really difficult with the IJKL aiming.

- Maybe I'll have to rethink my position on physics. The more I start moving toward actually implementing the time/replay mechanic, the more it starts to seem like implementing physics would be really, really easy. (In fact it may be easier to implement full physics than not implement it-- the current build has some really weird behavior due to the fact I'm using Chipmunk for collision detection but then in my first-pass way of doing movement I'm treating it in ways a physics engine does not expect to be treated.) The big problem with physics though is that the world I present-- 1 black screen, 2 autonomous squares, bullets that are destroyed on impact, unmoving walls-- gives very little opportunity for a physics engine to show off its presence. Of course I chose this gameplay idiom specifically because it imposed simple physics and made the mockup easy to finish, but it means if I try to think of "what are cool flourishes a physics engine could add?" I don't have a lot of room to maneuver.

I'm increasingly starting to wonder what this game would be like if instead of a top-down/Combat! sort of thing it were a vs. 2D platformer where the players had free-shooting guns (like in All Of Our Friends Are Dead, or something) and were free to run around and jump and fire at each other. That would give the physics engine a lot of neat stuff to do and might simplify things like how to present the controls. I have doubts I could get this done for the competition deadline though so maybe that will have to be something to consider later.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »

Day 3

Mac build (r23)
Windows build (r23)

Status: Same as yesterday but now there is rudimentary gamepad support. Player one is still controlled with WASD+IJKL. Player two is controlled using the dual analog sticks of the first HID gamepad found. In my tests I used a Sony Dual Shock 3 using the tattiebogle driver and it worked; I wouldn't especially expect it to work on anyone else's system until I've added the ability to actually configure controls.

There are buttons in the main menu for setting the controls. They don't work yet.

Doing the geometry wars thing and controlling my little square shooting its little bullets using the dual analog sticks was actually startlingly fun considering the game doesn't actually do anything yet. I'm feeling better about the whole top-down shooter plan than I was yesterday.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 02:52:51 AM »

Day 4

Mac build (r36)
Windows build (r36)

Status: Gamepad support is now complete and controls are now configurable. To set the controls for a player, click "Set p#1 Controls" or "Set p#2 Controls" at the main screen and follow the instructions. Controls are not saved when you quit the program yet. I recommend using a gamepad's dual analog sticks to move and fire if you can.

So far I've tested the controller code with: Keyboard; a Sony Dual Shock 3 (on a mac, using the tattieboogie driver); and a vintage "Gravis Gamepad Pro". But I haven't yet tested anything on Windows, and also different brands of gamepads behave very different in SDL so the fact that I know these two gamepads work doesn't say much about whether other gamepads work.

So I'd be extremely curious, if anyone out there has a gamepad, if you could test and see (1) could you configure your controls without incident (2) could you then play the game (…to the extent it can be played right now) and have it work. I am particularly curious whether this code works with the XBox 360 gamepad, and in particular, I'm curious whether the 360 d-pad works. The 360 gamepad does its d-pad in a weird way that requires an entire code path to itself to handle, but I don't have one to test with.

A little amusing thing: I don't impose any rule that different players each have to have their own gamepad, so I realized it was possible to set player 1 to control with the analog sticks on the Dual Shock and set player 2 to control with the d-pad and face buttons on the same controller. Despite my jokes about Twister before, I'm actually sort of considering encouraging people to play this way with two people! I attempted the 2 players, 1 controller thing with my spouse and it was actually weirdly workable and fun in a silly way (the configuration we settled on was player 1 had d-pad to move and right analog to fire, and player 2 had left analog to move and face buttons to fire).

EDIT: I found someone with a 360 gamepad. It works, but the d-pad does nothing. Oh well. Another thing I'm noticing is when you're setting controls it's way too sensitive about when it goes ahead and sets an analog stick axis, so it's really easy to accidentally set your controls "sideways" if you accidentally push up a little and then left a little when you first touch the stick. I'll fix this tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:13:41 AM by mcc » Logged

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 02:16:16 AM »

Day 5

Mac build (r39)
Windows build (r39)

Status: Fixed the problems with the controller code I discovered after posting last night. Analog stick setup is less stupid sensitive now and the 360 controller is now fully supported.

I also changed a whole bunch of stuff you can't see.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »

ahahah this concept is excellent.

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »

I love that the previews have gradually more and more squares on the screen. The progress is PALPABLE.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »

Big update!

Day 6

Mac build (r46)
Windows build (r46)

Status: Time loops now! Every ten seconds a copy of you will spawn on the screen and begin replaying your actions from game start. Also, there is sound.

Things are still pretty primitive. You cannot interact with the copies. Chipmunk physics is now disabled so there's nothing stopping either you or your bullets from going off the screen. There may be a problem now where framerate chugs every few seconds while lots of bullets are being fired. And you can't time travel yet. Still, this is the first demo where you can see a sense of what the eventual game might be like.

This update includes what I think may be my favorite line of code I have ever written:

Code:
forever now;

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »

Day 7

Mac build (r50)
Windows build (r50)

Status: The snap works. Press space bar to jump 5 seconds back in time. (When I'm playing with the gamepad, I map this to right trigger.) Bullet physics also work now, or at least, bullets can collide with things.

Limitations: You can coexist with the past but you can't change it. You can shoot "past selves", but (1) they can't shoot you, their bullets just pass through you right now and (2) shooting them really has no effect since bullets don't do damage yet. There's no kind of visual effect associated with the snap right now so squares just kind of appear and disappear jarringly and it looks "wrong".

Is the sound effect on "shooting" too annoying?

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »

Watch as mcc, in the process of making the game, accidentally discovers how to send computer data back through time.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 09:09:18 PM »

Day 8

Mac build (r51)
Windows build (r51)

Status: Collision detection improved. You can shoot "past selves", and they can shoot you. Being shot has no meaningful effect yet, but you can do it.

You still can't collide with other players or copies of yourself, players just pass through each other. I'm really not sure what should happen when you do that. Clearly if you're just sitting there and a "past self" player runs into you, you should be pushed out of the way. And something should happen if a snap causes another player to spawn on top of you. (Telefragging? Cuz telefragging sounds lame to me.) I'm not sure there's a sensible way of dealing with this, other than either turning Chipmunk back on or reimplementing large chunks of Chipmunk in an ad hoc fashion.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »

Day 9

Mac build (r56)
Windows build (r56)

I adapted some code from my other project and added a shader postprocessing step where I can apply an arbitrary amount of blur to the screen at every pixel. I'm eventually going to try to use this to add motion blur and some other effects. For now, to test it, I set it up where it's applying waves of blurring that sort of march across the screen. To make the effect more obvious I turned the "blur" up to a cartoonish level, but you can adjust the blur factor by pressing F5 and mouse-wheeling over the little control that appears. When you turn it down to -32 or -40 you get an aesthetically pleasing wavy effect that actually looks like a proper blur.

I'm not even totally sure if I can get away with using this effect. It slows my mac to a crawl whenever the window/screen is bigger than 1024x768 (though, there's a reason for this, and maybe I can work around it) and it seems like maybe overkill for a game where literally everything is a single-color rectangle. Hopefully I'll be able to adapt it into something interesting though...

Chris Pavia
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:36 PM »

When I first saw those screenshots, I thought that you were implementing a system where the more a player snapped through time, the more 'blurry' they got (maybe cause the snapping makes them more unstable or someting?).
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »

When I first saw those screenshots, I thought that you were implementing a system where the more a player snapped through time, the more 'blurry' they got (maybe cause the snapping makes them more unstable or someting?).
Well the plan is to make players appearing or disappearing due to time travel "blur out" and "blur in".

What you suggest would be pretty cool though, and would solve a current problem (how do you visually distinguish your "current" player from your past selves?). But it would maybe make more sense if it worked the other way-- that is, the current players are clean and crisp and past selves are blurry. I think I mentioned earlier something that worries me is that people will just camp around time 0 and pump bullets into their enemy's defenseless past selves at the moment of spawn. So maybe if the further back in time an object is relative to your own subjective timeline the blurrier it is and the harder it is to interact with, or maybe shooting a past-time [from your perspective] object makes it blurry and immune to further shots (thus putting a limit on how much you can pile-on someone at a single point in their timeline).

A more sophisticated version of this game alternately might use blurriness / flickeriness to indicate something that's in a state of "paradox" or indeterminacy-- something like a measurement of what Continuum called "frag". However I'm trying to avoid complex time travel mechanics like this (even the "shoot something and it blurs out" idea might be moving away from my original idea a bit) and also supposedly my claim is that the model I'm going to implement is free of paradoxes.

It might be interesting to prototype some of these different ideas after the competition is over though!

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »

Day 10

Mac build (r59)
Windows build (r59)

Status: Only had a little bit of time to work on this today. Spent it on trying to implement motion blur. It isn't going well.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 03:50:44 AM »

Wow, are they skulls? I need to try this thing when I get home

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic