Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:57:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Shrike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shrike  (Read 1944 times)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »

This is my 1000th post.

I am going to make a game. But first I'm going to make an offline prototype, in case it turns out to be a terrible idea.

The offline prototype will simulate latency. If it seems fun, then the final game will embrace latency.

P.S. I'm moving to a different city and starting a new job in a few days. This is going to be... interesting...  Crazy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:17:58 PM by John Nesky » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:36:56 PM »

SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK AND THE DEAD

Good luck Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »

A quick but terrible prototype later, I've decided that latency really does ruin platformer controls even if you're doing it deliberately. Back to the drawing board.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »

If you're trying to do online platforming, you should try asynchronous netcode. For the player himself, the controls work perfectly like he was offline. The other player is just receiving the somewhat delayed actions of his opponent. Of course, if you want the two players to interact directly with eachother (and I imagine you do), that can get complicated.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »

Of course, if you want the two players to interact directly with eachother (and I imagine you do), that can get complicated.

Yeah, that was the plan. Don't worry, I already have another idea: Competitive Ikaruga. You spawn bullet patterns on one side of the screen while dodging the opponent's patterns, and by the time the opponent's bullets reach your side of the screen the latency shouldn't be a problem.

I guess it's sort of like a symmetric Boss Rush, but I wanna see if I can work Ikaruga's polarity thing in there.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »

Alright! So today I had a chance to implement a non-networked prototype of the Ikaruga idea. Both players have 3 attack, a polarity switch, and four directionals.

http://johnnesky.com/Shrike_v_0_0_1.swf

Player 1: ASD, F, YHGJ
Player 2: M Comma Period, Slash, Arrows

I kinda like it so far, but at the same time I'm embarrassed at how derivative it is. Hmm.

Also the keyboard can't always keep up with all the buttons being pressed at the same time, but it will work better when the players aren't sitting at the same keyboard.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic