Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:11:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Crazy Dungeon Shenanigans!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crazy Dungeon Shenanigans!  (Read 2643 times)
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:20 PM »

Hello folks! I thinking i'm going to go for some sort of Kagero Deception style game, where one player is in a dungeon, and the other player lays traps/controls mobs in real time.

However! I cannot promise anything. I am going to use this competition as an excuse to learn more C++, but at the same time learn networking (probably using SFML or RakNet).

Thats all i have so far. Hope you like the idea!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Tiger
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:12:58 PM by Nugsy » Logged

berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:51:11 PM »

Sounds great!  Grin Can't wait to see something!
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »

Came up with some more mechanics.

- One person will play as an Adventurer, in the classic sense of the word. Think Legend of Zelda.

- Dungeons will be randomly generated.

- At the beginning of a round, the Dungeon Master will place traps from his/her inventory around the room on a grid.

- Mobs will spawn randomly, or be placed on the level by the Dungeon Master.

- When play begins, the Adventurer must do one of the following things: (I haven't decided which yet).
a) He must try to reach the exit.
b) He must find some special item, then leave the way he came in.
   - The item may randomly move every 60sec.

- During play, the Dungeon Master is a ghost, invisible to the Adventurer. He can fly around and posses mobs, thus controlling them. Mobs do not move or attack on their own, the DM must posses them to do this.

- The DM can also posses traps, setting them off at his will. Example: Walls that raise from the floor, thus blocking the player.

- The Adventurer moves faster than the mobs, so the DM must use his mobs tactically by trying to force the Adventurer to run into a trap etc.

- Upon completion of the round, the winner gets to choose an item from a set of three to add to their inventory. The loser gets one random item (nothing brilliant).

I think there are a few more things that i haven't mentioned. If i remember them i will edit this post.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »

Learning C++ and networking at the same time? You fool, flee while you can!

Eeh, I wanted to say: Nice mechanics, I like it!

jwk5
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:21:13 AM »

I really hope you go through with this one, the Trapt/Deception series was so awesome! The thought of a multi-player Trapt/Deception-style game definitely has me interested!
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »

This sounds really fun.  I wanted to avoid asymentric games coming into this competition, but many of these games are making me change my mind.  I really like this one. 

Balancing the number of traps/enemies made me think of all the coins the player typically finds on these kinds of creatures.  I don't know whether this would be a round based game, but maybe the money you collect from your opponents creatures could be used to hire more to protect your own dungeon.  So many fun ideas...  I look forward to seeing what you do with this.
Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:09:39 AM »

These sounds like the kind of Shenanigans I'd like! Gameplay seems very fun from your description. How do you control the DM / adventurer?

As TobiasW said though, be wary of the dangers of network programming! I wish you good luck in learning though, and hope you won't get in too much trouble  Wink May I inquire what OS(es) you use and intend to release the game on?
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »

I like different role versus games.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »

I'm doing a similar game: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17350.0
great minds think alike  Shrug

Your thread was buried so reading only the first page I thought it was a concept not already proposed, as you posted it before me I think I can suspend the development of my game If you want, or continue if you like some challenge I suppose  Shrug
Oh I'm going to do it with flash as I want to use an older framework I have, so it will be a browser game, not something downloadable like yours.

Best luck with it  Coffee
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:44:48 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

I thought my thread would have been lost by now haha.
I've been ill since Thursday so i haven't had chance to check up on this.

Eclipse, your game sounds different to mine, in that there are more players. I wouldn't mind if it was exactly the same to be honest. Create what your heart desires! Haha.

In other game related news, i have a few things to say.

The game will most probably end up being local only play. I don't think i'm going to have as much time as i would have liked to be able to learn networking and become more proficient in C++. Recently it has become far more feasible for me to test local multiplayer games, which i previously avoided making. What do you guys think about this change? Will you have someone to play the game with?

Ideas relating to this change:
- The DM uses the mouse for input, the Adventurer uses the keyboard.
- Before the DM's setup period begins, the person playing as the Adventurer will be told to move away from the screen (or be punched by the DM).
- The DM will place traps at the beginning of the round (like before), except now they will link the traps to a series of buttons that run down the right hand side of the screen.
- Any number of traps can be linked to any one of these buttons.
- The DM also places gold for the Adventurer to collect.
- Gold pieces cannot be within a certain radius of one another. This prevents the DM clumping all of the gold together in a corner and placing all their traps in this corner.
- After the DM has set up his traps, he will click the ready button, and then move away from the screen. The Adventurer now gets a chance to set up his character by selecting items from his inventory.
- During play - when one of the DM's buttons is clicked, all traps associated with the button will activate.
- The Adventurer will play the same as before, pretty much like Link from any top down Zelda game.

I may have missed some points out from the above list, if i think of them i will update the list.
I'd like to hear some feedback on this change. Good? Bad? Horrifying? Crazy

Small edit:

Quote from: Daniel Eddeland
May I inquire what OS(es) you use and intend to release the game on?
The game will be released for Windows. Gentleman
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:06:33 AM by Nugsy » Logged

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 09:44:34 AM »

great! I just hope to finish it in time, I have tons of work to do these weeks Sad

I'm sure even if the concept is similar the games will play and look quite differently Wink I'll keep an eye on this thread to try to make my game as much as different I can anyway  Durr...?

keep rockin'  Hand Metal Left Cool

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »

I love the Deception / Trapt / Whatever they are calling it this time games. They had such a cool idea! This sounds like a crazy fun re-imagining of them, and i can't wait to play it myself.

(If I might make a request: please keep the hilariously bad NPC names)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic