Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:01:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Versus Games Idea Pool
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Versus Games Idea Pool  (Read 44801 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »

Also, it would be neat to see games that rely on audience participation in interesting ways; maybe something where P1 is an evil Dungeon Master setting up a devious trap-filled labyrinth for P2 to navigate; but the audience can see everything P1 sees, and they're free to shout it out, so P2 can use their noisy (and perhaps conflicting, or even intentionally misleading) advice to try to suss out where it's safe for him to go.
...hm. How about this:

- One player; 10 or so "observers".
- The one player is playing through a little level (generated by the game) of some kind, a platformer or a top down thing. The level is full of traps. The observers can see the traps; the players cannot.
- Half of the observers are "good". Their goal is to get the player to the goal. The other half of the observers are "evil". Their goal is to kill the player. The player does not know who is who; perhaps neither do the observers, they only know which team they personally are on.
- On the left half of the screen, everyone sees the player playing through the level, on the right half of the screen is a chat pane.
- The player *has* to use the advice of the observers to get through the level; however, the player does not know whose advice they can trust and whose they cannot. Meanwhile, the "evil" players have to figure out how to convince the player to trust them early in the level so that they can lure the player into a trap later; and the "good" players have to similarly figure out how to convince the player to trust them while identifying and exposing the evil players.
- Here's the trick: The player isn't actually the one being scored here. The "vs" is the good team vs the evil team. Meanwhile maybe over the course of several rounds, the "player" rotates and the observers switch teams. After five or six rounds, whoever was on the "winning team" the most often wins the match. "Best liar" or something.

Would be very easy to implement in Flash; lag would not be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:15:18 AM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Maqrkk
Level 0

Coffee.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »

Rock paper scissors, with lasers and zombies. Because everyone likes lasers and zombies. So yeah.

Both players get about 3 seconds to pick either rock, paper or scissors, and based on the results you get a quicktime event oppurtunity. If you win the RPS, you get a chance to summon a laser. The loser gets to summon a horde of zombies. The zombies can't attack, they're just a meatshield for the laser. You only win if you hit the other player with the laser.

This sounded great in my head, but now it's pretty terrible. Oh well.

I like coffee, debugging and industrial hardcore. <3
aDFP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 06:41:37 AM »

I was thinking of attempting an asymmetrical game, but with mechanical symmetry. Like a chase game where the pursuer can move left, right and fire missiles, and the pursued player can dodge left, right and drop bombs. Being hit with a bomb/missile would slow you down or take off health.

Despite the characters and the views being different, the gameplay would be exactly the same for each player, so you could actually have games where both players were playing the same role.

No real reason, just as an experiment.
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »

I've got some vague ideas. I want to make something that can be played by at least two players on a computer in the same room and I want to use Flixel because I'm used to it and don't have much time, so that means that I'm stuck with a keyboard and a mouse (with a single button  Sad)

So I got thinking, why not not have one player use the keyboard and one player use the mouse? Maybe the mouse player can point and click to shoot at the keyboard player and the keyboard player has to attack or escape from the mouse player?

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »

I don't know if I will participate, but let me throw an idea in to the mix. Two people play on one computer, one only giving input via the keyboard, the other only giving input only via the mouse. This could produce some interesing game play since Mr Keyboard lacks fine analog controll, where as Mr Mouse doesn't have many actions to choose from.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Snow
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »

I wonder if a game played on one computer across 2 screens would have enough interest. I have one interesting idea, however, it would either have to be lan or if played on one computer - cannot really share the same screen unless it was stretched across 2 monitors. Bottom line is the players shouldn't be able to see where the other is going as there is stealth involved.

I have other ideas as well if doing 2 player on 2 screens is not desirable.
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 11:08:30 AM »

I have other ideas as well if doing 2 player on 2 screens is not desirable.
Well, it would limit your audience massively I guess.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:07:05 PM by TobiasW » Logged

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »

Bullfighting
One person is the bull, the other is the matador.

I don't know if I will participate, but let me throw an idea in to the mix. Two people play on one computer, one only giving input via the keyboard, the other only giving input only via the mouse.

haha! two ideas that I'm going to steal. thanks suckers!
Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »

Jigsaw puzzle game but with 2 players. You have to crate a puzzle with the same pieces that when flip upside-down will change to another person's puzzle. Try it out man...  Screamy
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »

BLOODY SOCCER - a soccer FPP shooter with ubercool ragdoll physics!

Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »

A game with 2 or more top down shooters each with their own colors. A zombie will spawn with a random color and will chase after the people who are not that color, once killed it will change to the killer's color. More zombies spawn, people die, a winner is you.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 03:18:25 PM »

Pure Fisticuffs

A game where you and another victorian gentleman duke it out on a series of large hot-air balloons floating high above major landmarks.  The occasionally jetpacking Spaniard will fly by with a sword to help you out in your quest for total pish-posh perfection!

Gentleman
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »

DEMOCRALYPSE NOW

YOU SIR, are a candidate for an ELECTION (woo) before every turn, learn from the masses their opinion with POOLS AND INTERVIEWS, or set up a SEX OR DRUG SCANDAL on your opponents to gain the trust of the people, and ELECTION WIN.

i may or may not actually do this myself

Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »

A game with 2 or more top down shooters each with their own colors. A zombie will spawn with a random color and will chase after the people who are not that color, once killed it will change to the killer's color. More zombies spawn, people die, a winner is you.
I'm stealing this
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »

Three Blind Mice

Three players are blind mice, and one player is the farmer's wife.  The mice try to bump into the wife and freak her out, the wife tries to chop off their tails.

The mouse players can only see things they are directly in contact with or "pow" symbols when they collide with things/mice/walls/etc

hi
Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »

Tom Cruise and Jerry Seinfeld's big soccer showdown

Nintendo World Cup meets Mortal Kombat meets Street Fighter meets Tom Cruise meets Jerry Seinfeld! Partake in an epic battle between men! Guest starring Christian Bale and Morgan Freeman as goalkeepers.
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »

Pure Fisticuffs

A game where you and another victorian gentleman duke it out on a series of large hot-air balloons floating high above major landmarks.  The occasionally jetpacking Spaniard will fly by with a sword to help you out in your quest for total pish-posh perfection!

Gentleman

I think I may derive a game from this, if you don't mind.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »

Pure Fisticuffs

A game where you and another victorian gentleman duke it out on a series of large hot-air balloons floating high above major landmarks.  The occasionally jetpacking Spaniard will fly by with a sword to help you out in your quest for total pish-posh perfection!

Gentleman

I think I may derive a game from this, if you don't mind.
Go right ahead!  Smiley

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »

Someone should also make a remake of

.  (Think top-down smash bros.)

hi
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »

for further inspiration i recommend to check out this thread...

Most Unique Games You Know
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16782

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic