Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:08:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Masjin [1.9b]
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [1.9b]  (Read 118194 times)
caribou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: February 09, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »

A lot of fun this time again, the UFO is really funny to use and pretty scary when it's coming to you while you're just diggin alone underground. Who, Me?

It has a big inertia but it's also really fast.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »

We just had a game where we actually played with the maximum player amount of 10! Thanks to everyone who participated, it was a lot of fun and it's cool to see that the game can handle ten players. Though there were of course the basic load of bugs around, most obvious being Sandoval not seeing certain walls!

Filth
« Reply #282 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

...Did I miss a game? With ten players?  Cry

Loving the flashbang though it might be a bit too powerful, I don't really know since I haven't played with others. The item prices are a bit weird (Mines cheaper than bombs?) but I guess that's because it was just included.

Few suggestions:
-The self-heal shouldn't be visible when you are at full health
-Changing class or respawning should automatically leave vehicles and drop items (instead of just not allowing you to change)

About the sound effects: I'd go for something that you'd expect in SNES games, to me SFXR seems a bit cheap.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »

Ok, a bit smaller update today due to the approaching exams:
  • Missiles for choppers and planes (bought for 10 ore).
  • Bugfixes here and there, as usual.
  • Bombs and flashbangs now detonate instantly when touching ground if dropped from a vehicle. Also choppers and UFOs can also drop items now.

The next bigger update will be, as I've said, winning a round. That'd no doubt take a bit of time to implement, so I'll have it waiting. Other things we need are those sound effects and a way to get ore without mining; the current seams deplete rather rapidly.

VERSION 1.56b GET!

EDIT: Looks like Dhegg has been making some pretty cool constructions during the slower phases:

EDIT EDIT: Updated to 1.56b to fix a bug with the missiles, guess what, not working!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:31:37 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: February 10, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

Missiles don't explode when hitting slopes.
Speaking of slopes, I think you should be able to build them with the builder. You could use jump to switch shapes.
Paul McCrawfish
« Reply #285 on: February 11, 2011, 12:33:34 AM »

The digger is still completely operational, but the  builder is as immobile as a background tile.

I also spent a good fifteen minutes trying to break the jetpack, but it seems completely sound as far as I can tell. Nice work.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »

Thanks for that, parrot. Hopefully fixed it.

I'm having once again a with slower pace, partially due to a lot of school stuff and partially due to losing motivation. During the next days I think I'll work a bit on other stuff and make some small updates, like fining up the menus. Once I feel more like working on the game again, I'll get the round winning working and hopefully get the game to a state where I might be able to call it 'finished'. As I've probably said, I'll still keep working on the game though, I really want that dead reckoning in, but it'd be good to be sure that when the compo ends I'll have a somewhat finished version up!

Sorry about this. Sad

caribou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: February 14, 2011, 02:58:05 AM »

I just wanted to show you my support. People are having fun playing it even without any goal so i can't wait for the next updates.

I want moarr ! Hand Knife Right Durr...? Hand Fork Left

DrOctapu
Level 0

Brutally modest.

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 14, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »

I just wanted to show you my support. People are having fun playing it even without any goal so i can't wait for the next updates.

I want moarr ! Hand Knife Right Durr...? Hand Fork Left

This. The game's already awesome, and the glitches aren't awful unless someone (*coughmokesmoecough*) exploits them a lot. Take your time, Hempuli. Don't make a rushed, awful final version just to meet a deadline.

Add me on...
 Desura | Steam
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2011, 01:09:34 AM »

I've been meaning to give this a go for ages - I really like the Thunderbirds aesthetic to the drilling vehicle Smiley It was fun to run around on my own and play with things, and it all worked well. I like the plane a lot, especially the need to take care when changing direction or landing that you have enough room to take off again. Reminds me of playing Codename Eagle years ago.

I also had the scary warning from AVG, but only when I quit the game. I think it's because the new "Identity Protection" component in the more recent versions of AVG might not be entirely ready for prime time... It looks for "suspicious behaviour" - I guess an app spawning a sub-process in a temp directory and then doing "internet stuff" with it might count.

According to the ClickTeam forums you can fix this by not ticking "compress runtime" in your project settings. I'm not an MMF person so I don't more exactly where this would be, but it might be worth a try?

[edit: The really odd thing was that immediately after picking up Masjin as a virus, AVG went and detected my game - which wasn't running at the time, and which it was completely happy with until that point - as a virus too! Scanning any of them after the fact doesn't detect a virus either. Most odd.]

Oh, and I love the animated GIFs as a way of demoing stuff - so much so I tried it out myself.

Cheers,

Will
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2011, 04:53:43 AM »

Thanks everyone for the support! I think round winning just might make it today or tomorrow; my schooldays are now officially over, but all this School AfterParty -stuff with friends is taking up my time.

Will Wale: Hey, thanks for looking up that compression thing! I've just assumed that AVG dislikes MMF 2 and didn't bother searching. I'll try that out immediately. As I mentioned, there has been one another case where AVG though all MMF 2 apps to be virii, and even though that was fixed, I kinda lost my faith in its credibility.

Also, I really like how powerful GIFs can be when it comes to simple 2D games like this. It's like, you can show a picture of an explosion, or then you can show a set-up scene where a character gets bombed, with all the effects and so on.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: February 19, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »

Allright! Now all the school stuff is over! Tomorrow we'll get some sexy Masjin updatery!

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »

Go go victory-productivity!

Just dropping a line to say that I greatly admire your ability to bring a project of this scope to anything resembling playability. It is quite fun; good job! Keep up!

|
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »

Ok, I've completely lost my motivation to work on this game. Sorry everyone. I'll try to get winning in proper before the deadline but don't expect much.  Cry Also thanks everyone for the support, without you I wouldn't have got this far.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »

Conker534
« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

I could see this being a lot of fun. You should advertise this and make it popular. :D

Ashkin
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »

Hempuli. Do not give up.
This game is a wonderful piece of pure fun, and I love it.
In fact, I love your games so much that I was looking for Paradise Fort to download when I saw this topic. Kiss
ink.inc
« Reply #297 on: February 23, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »

(i'm being serious here)
Rooky
Level 0

Prince of London

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:48 AM »

You can't give up now. This reminds me more of TF2 than anything - and where would TF2 be today without the billions of updates and constant support of Valve? It'd still be the bug-ridden mapless Xbox 360 version. YOU CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO MASJIN YOU HAVE TO IMPROOOOVE

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 24, 2011, 09:10:57 AM »

Motivation is a funny thing. It can come and go without much reason. I think trying to work through moments like these of low motivation is an important skill and one I try to practice.

For me, a lot of what keeps me motivated is making progress. So if I stop working on a project and I don't make any progress, then I don't gain any motivation. So it's a downward spiral. However, if I can make small steps forward, even when I don't feel like, usually I'll build momentum and start rolling again before I know it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there are times to jump around with your head on fire and collect blocks, and times to melt those blocks down. And sometimes all you can do is play catch with your family to build up your flaming head of ideas again.

Of all the games that come out of the competition in the end, I think this is one that has some of the most potential for interest after the deadline. I imagine maybe a dedicated server with ranked stats? You've got a real TF2 meets minecraft thing going on that has a lot of promise.

But whatever you end up doing, continuing Masjin or not, GOOD LUCK! It's clear you do good work. Cheers.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic