Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:38:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Masjin [1.9b]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [1.9b]  (Read 118226 times)
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: March 22, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »

Heading in the right direction?

Gameplay:
http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/j

Menu/Title/Lobby:
http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/k-1
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:59:18 PM by shojin » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: March 25, 2011, 03:20:45 AM »

Both sound really great, actually! I like what you did with the rhythm in the in-game music. The only thing I'm not totally sure about is the jazz organ; the idea is nice but I think the idea of an organ solo gets a bit lost due to there being so much else going on.
Definitely good stuff! Thanks a lot! Smiley

As for the game, as you guys probably have guessed, I haven't felt at all like doing all the things I promised. Getting audio in, and then polishing the menus/fixing bugs are the things I ought to be doing, but now that there is no deadline forcing me to do such I haven't had the motivation. Maybe I should try the self-imposed deadline thread at Creative?

I'm quite sure I'll eventually feel like finishing this, but just not right now. Working on other games for a bit usually helps with motivation. Sorry for being a total ass about this. Concerned

EDIT/ADDENDUM: My plan is that I'll try to arrange some multiplayer funtimes at this year's No More Sweden, and maybe later at some other jams. So technically the game ought to be fully finished at July!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:37:43 AM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2011, 02:16:26 AM »

Well, there was that. Good show.

EDIT: I'm working slowly on another update, mostly to cover some of the bugs left. This update will also (hopefully temporarily) remove the engineer and the missiles from the game due to the former having no use and the latter being buggy. I'm a bit out of item ideas at the moment, so if anyone has suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Here're some of my own:
- that darn mech suit
- medikit

What's fixed this far:
- The ore now shows up more. I'm totally not sure why it didn't show up properly but it should work now.
- The timer seems to reset for the game master if a new player joins. It's a mystery why this happens but I think I may have nailed it.
- A silly graphical bug in the control point. I also moved it a bit upwards to ensure that during most rounds it's partially over the ground.

What's to be fixed:
- I doubt I have the energy to fix the FPS problems, but YES, they're something I should fix.
- All kinds of horrid bugs I have no idea about that most probably result from the network code. Urgh! Screamy
- Polishing menus.
- Probably something I just forgot.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:28:09 AM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »

I Like this game verry much. It has great potential in becoming a much played game.

Good concept:
A mix between minecraft and team fortress is how i would call it.
Lots of work in all the different posibilities that makes the game
a good balance between tactic and skills.
The looks are also verry nice. It's simple and efective. Thats all you need.

I have some difficulties with the player controls, it doesn't feel intuitive to use X,C,V
Either A,S,D or Z, X, C would be more plausible in my eyes.

akavel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »

Wow, great fun with the game! Smiley
Some random ideas after a match (sorry if repeating things, don't have time to read through the whole thread):
- would be nice if the list of players had them colour-coded, to know how many players there are in each (that is, at least my version didn't have that)
- some easily findable help on basic keys (TAB, X,C,V, ESC) would be nice, bashing on the keyboard to find what can invoke some actions reminds me of old games, but not exactly in that nice retro way  Huh?
- ah, and I also did have problems with XCV - quite many times automatically rested my fingers on ZXC and got left without firepower Evil

Otherwise, I found that some other things which seem omissions at first (like the possibility to get stuck in a hole) can provide interesting opportunities for teamwork Smiley

Very amusing experience after all; thanks for some funny time, and wishing you best of luck  Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmileyHand Thumbs Up Right
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »

This... this is epic fun. Ran very solid and smooth for me. Would it be too forward to ask how you went about developing this game, Hempuli? Development tools, etc.

Two issues:

1) I think I would have gotten into the game much more quickly had more of the game, especially the controls, been explained somewhere, such as the ability to press "r" to respawn and "t" to talk. I still don't know what the big score numbers indicate.

2) It seems like it's impossible to get more ore after the ore in the ground is harvested? Is that how it's supposed to be?

EDIT: I also would prefer ZXC to XCV.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »

I use ZXC because I want not to hate German players using QWERTZ nor users of AZERTY. I think I'll make the controls changeable so everyone's happy.

1) I agree. I'll add a readme and a little tooltip to the game.

2) There has been a big bug with the ore appearing in really tiny amounts. I've fixed this, but yeah, currently you can't get additional ore. I'm wondering how I could make sources of additional ore without taking away the usefulness of mining.

I used MMF 2, a WYSIWYG game creation tool for this, and the networking code was done by Jamie in his Lacewing Protocol Extension (http://lacewing.aquadasoft.com/).

HEYYY! It seems I promised a new version of the game for tomorrow. Let's see how that goes! It'll be mostly bugfixing but I'll try to get a couple additions in as well. All item suggestions are encouraged! Also changeable controls are a must, it seems!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:01:10 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: April 01, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

Ok, here's the first part of the promised updates! There's nothing fancy here, mostly bugfixes and such. Tomorrow I'll try to add some content as well.

changes:
- Engineer and missiles removed
- Changeable controls
- A little info text for beginners
- Replaced control point
- Fixed that bug related to ore

VERSION 1.58 GET!
NOTE THAT THE DEFAULT CONTROLS ARE NOW Z, X and C!

Amagineer
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 01, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »

Running in wine, get lockup+errors on connect, but it's only temporary.
Code:
fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0x110000, 0x0) stub
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate (0x8002c), partial stub!
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate ((nil)), partial stub!
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x15ab80 "?" wait timed out in thread 0014, blocked by 002a, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x15ace0 "?" wait timed out in thread 0009, blocked by 0014, retrying (60 sec)
(Note that the fixme bits are probably not important)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: April 01, 2011, 05:05:57 PM »

I think I'll make the controls changeable so everyone's happy.

But they are changeable! (Although I'm sure you mean an official non-mmf-default way, which I agree would be nice)

Personally I use WASD to move, Space for actions, shift to shoot, and / to jump. I can fire a lot faster with my right hand, and shift is a nice big button.

EDIT: Ninja'd because I had dinner midway through typing this post.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: April 01, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »

I think I'll make the controls changeable so everyone's happy.

But they are changeable! (Although I'm sure you mean an official non-mmf-default way, which I agree would be nice)

Personally I use WASD to move, Space for actions, shift to shoot, and / to jump. I can fire a lot faster with my right hand, and shift is a nice big button.

EDIT: Ninja'd because I had dinner midway through typing this post.

I'll add the required movement changes tomorrow. It's 4 AM here and I'm tired! :D

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: April 01, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »

An in-game control switch would be nice too, even just so I could get weird keys to work. (like /)
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 01, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »

I use ZXC because I want not to hate German players using QWERTZ nor users of AZERTY. I think I'll make the controls changeable so everyone's happy.

1) I agree. I'll add a readme and a little tooltip to the game.

2) There has been a big bug with the ore appearing in really tiny amounts. I've fixed this, but yeah, currently you can't get additional ore. I'm wondering how I could make sources of additional ore without taking away the usefulness of mining.

I used MMF 2, a WYSIWYG game creation tool for this, and the networking code was done by Jamie in his Lacewing Protocol Extension (http://lacewing.aquadasoft.com/).

Thank you for the prompt replies and updates, sir! Those dev tools sound interesting. I was just so impressed by the ease with which players can join games, and by the smoothness of the gameplay.

I guess an ore bonus for defeating enemy players would be a little unbalanced. How about providing a minuscule amount of ore (say, 1 or 2) for every block dug by a miner?

Nero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 02, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »

This is a lot of fun! Smiley  Was barricading up the middle room in my last game.  It seems like the fighter's gun is the best weapon?  I've noticed a lot of people don't know the victory conditions, should explain that somewhere (maybe when you login or while waiting to respawn).  It feels like holding the middle room is a bit of a weird victory condition though, you have all those cool things to do throughout the map, but only 1 spot to fight over.  Maybe a few capture points would work better?  Something inside the bases too perhaps.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: April 02, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »

Yeah, I guess the contrl/capture point idea isn't quite as good as I hoped. Oh well.
Anyway, version 1.59 is now out. It does this stuff:

-New item, the medikit!
-Some polish
-More support for changeable controls
-Fixed a really stupid bug that made the game run even slower than usual(!)

VERSION 1.59 GET!

Filth
« Reply #335 on: April 02, 2011, 11:20:18 AM »

There seems to be some issues with the level creation whenever I try to host.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: April 02, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »

I'd hardly call that an issue, but I'll look to it! Cheesy

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 02, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »

On the issue of having the bases be the capture points... Still sounds fun, but I realized you'll have enemy units spawning on you all the time. How about having the base be either the spawn point or the capture point, and then having separate points for each team that fulfill the other function?

So, for example, if you listed the buildings on the field from left to right it'd be blue base/spawn point, red capture point, blue capture point, red base/spawn point.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »

Boo yah! Version 1.6 is out! There're some rather nasty updates here so be sure to download the newest version!

Fixes/Changes/Additions:

• Added the mech suit!
  • Added gravity grenades!
  • Added some decoration to the menus (not enough yet!)
  • Made the game selection list not blink and remove your selection
  • Made the UFO-like vehicle buyable
  • Fixed more bugs in the ore

Also you can drop items now by pressing down + throw, but now that I think all the bombs will still detonate! Whoops, I'll fix that later.

VERSION 1.6 GET!

Miika
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »

Hi, I was just playing masjin with my brother Tatu and we were experimenting with the new stuff and for some reason the Orb thingy isn't working for us. How is it supposed to work? I bought it and there was this sound and I saw a mini orb or something flash and then there was nothing. I also lost all my precious ore.

And the mecha suit harms the user when used to crush opponent or one of your own teammates. And it seems that every time you buy an orb you lose the "money" but if you relog the money is back for some reason
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic