Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:22:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Time Travelling Missiles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Time Travelling Missiles  (Read 2565 times)
increpare
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »

multiplayer turn-based strategy game.  Not sure exactly how it'll turn out (need to do lots of testing), but the basic idea is that you have normal units and then rockets that you can launch to attack a location, but it attacks the location two turns ago.

problems:

• paradox - i've made it that a missile silo can't target itself, so there's no grandfather paradox, but there is one possible that sounds like:
            a attacks b
            c attacks a before a has attacked b
            b attacks c before c has attacked a
       in the game right now this is only possible if two of a b and c are owned by the same player, so it's a bit unlikely, but still I'm not sure how to deal with it.
    edit: If I extend the 'cannot target self' with 'cannot target any unit of the same side' then this won't happen.  I think I'll go with that. scratch that, it doesn't work nicely.
  • not sure how I feel about the graphics at all (the interface in particular, but also the colours and general style)

to do list:
   sort out paradoxes
   balance game
   ai
   network play
   sound/music
   lots of small things
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:15:13 PM by increpare » Logged
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »

We're all looking forward to playing this tomorrow!  Wink

(seriously though, how the heck do you make good games so damn fast?? ENVY  WTF)

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »

cactus was his master, in a trip of enlightment in the himalayan mountains.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ChevyRay
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »

Excellent, good to see you joining in the fray. Looking forward to seeing what you make, Stephen!
increpare
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:44:59 PM »

Updated the first post:

multiplayer turn-based strategy game.  Not sure exactly how it'll turn out (need to do lots of testing), but the basic idea is that you have normal units and then rockets that you can launch to attack a location, but it attacks the location two turns ago.

problems:

• paradox - i've made it that a missile silo can't target itself, so there's no grandfather paradox, but there is one possible that sounds like:
            a attacks b
            c attacks a before a has attacked b
            b attacks c before c has attacked a
       in the game right now this is only possible if two of a b and c are owned by the same player, so it's a bit unlikely, but still I'm not sure how to deal with it.
    edit: If I extend the 'cannot target self' with 'cannot target any unit of the same side' then this won't happen.  I think I'll go with that. scratch that, it doesn't work nicely.
  • not sure how I feel about the graphics at all (the interface in particular, but also the colours and general style)

to do list:
   sort out paradoxes
   balance game
   ai
   network play
   sound/music
   lots of small things
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:16:05 PM by increpare » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »

Man that sounds intriguing. I see lots of time experimentation around here.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »

Good show, Stephen. I can't wait to play this.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
increpare
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »

Have all the basic mechanics I thought of originally in.  it doesn't quite work yet (flash).  HMMM.  Will need to think more about it tomorrow.
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »

It's pretty weird, but very interesting. Cannons seems to deploy after a few turns isn't it? And maybe you can make something to SEND units to the future, so they wont be attacked on the past, or something like that. I dunno, it's hard to think about this kind of "pastrategy" game  Undecided

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
increpare
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »

It's pretty weird, but very interesting. Cannons seems to deploy after a few turns isn't it?
yeah

future/delayed missiles might work, but would ... erm ... yeah I'm having trouble thinking about it as well.  Two-way time-travel would complicate things even more - I'm trying to keep the time travel stuff comprehensible to me at least.
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »

Ok, I've played it a little more and NOW I get it completely. The thing I suggested was nonsense lol.

But I have LOTS of non-sense suggestions :D
---------------------------------------------

Every player has ONE chronobomb. When they launch it, timetravelmissiles won't be operative until next turn of the player who launched it.

Different units :medic, chronobubbler (deploys a bubble that shield units inside against future missiles), chronoartillery(can move, he can shoots weaker missiles to the past).
Player can choose their units, spending points, before battle.

Units HP?

All this would change the game a lot, and probably its gameplay won't suit your idea. But brainstorm it's brainstorm Tongue

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic