Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:40:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Sumo Wrestling, Tim Rogers Style
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sumo Wrestling, Tim Rogers Style  (Read 3408 times)
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »

I said I was going to make mah gam, and now I'm going to have to stick to my word. I read a Tim Rogers' Kotaku post that talked about, among many other things, how to make a 'proper' sumo wrestling game. Here's the quote:

The third would be a minimalist take, with Pong graphics: two paddles start face-to-face inside a square arena, several blocks apart. The player can move his paddle left or right, pressing one of two buttons to fire one of his two projectiles (representing his left and right hands). The projectiles fly forward. If the projectile hits the opponent, the opponent is pushed backward. If a projectile hits the wall behind the opponent, it bounces toward the back side of the opponent. If it hits him then, it pushes him one square forward. If the projectile misses the opponent, it continues toward the player who fired it. Now he has to dodge his own projectile as it comes back. If he dodges it, it will hit the wall behind him. If he lines himself up and takes a hit in the back, it'll move him forward. This is the only way for a player to move forward, regaining ground. If the bullet misses him after its second bounce, it continues toward the opponent again. If it hits, the player is pushed back. If it misses, it touches the back wall and disappears. The player can only have two active projectiles on the board at a time. Projectiles will all be the same color (white, on a black background). A ghosty trail behind the projectile makes it easy to understand which direction the projectile is heading. The key thing to note here is that, outside of the exact instant the projectile is fired, the player can neither tell nor care which projectiles on the field are his: the only important thing is knowing which way the projectiles are moving, and what to do about or with them (try to be hit from behind while avoiding hits from the front). If your paddle moves forward past the center line of the playing field, the opposing player will be pushed backward so as to maintain the minimum distance ("minimum" in so much as if you were too close to the other player, it wouldn't be fun anymore). Any player pushed back to the line behind his back will "fall out" of the ring, losing the match.

This sounds easy enough, I imagine I shouldn't flub this up that badly. I'll see how this goes before I go and attempt my own idea.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »

It's simple, but the gameplay could prove very interesting, especially in local multiplayer.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »

Wow, what an intriguing idea! Dodging the bullet and then letting yourself get hit by the rebound, how... well, ordinarily at least, paradoxical!

This is the most abstract take on Sumo Wrestling I've seen yet, as well. So you at least earn that!
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »

Wow, what an intriguing idea! Dodging the bullet and then letting yourself get hit by the rebound, how... well, ordinarily at least, paradoxical!
That made me finally read the Wall of Text in the first post.

Nice idea, and certainly not to hard to make! Good luck with it!

magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »

So as a fan of sumo I was excited by this but it seems to have never happened. So I made one myself.

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1299505935

I don't have sprites for the rikishi yet so go to options and click lofi, otherwise the dohyo graphic kinda makes the rikishi invisible.

but:
Left hand player: I/K for up down W/S to shoot.
Right hand player 8/5 for up down Up/Down to shoot.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

Cool stuff man! Might I suggest you change the controls, though? If you had W/S and Up/Down to move, and F/G  period--forward slash as shoot it would seem more intuitive.

Seeing your version definitely makes me want to work on mine.

magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1299545743

There you go. I was probably going to make the controls re-definable in the options menu. Though I am lazy and half assed so if you are working on one i'll just let you do it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic