Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:58:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Witch Battles
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Witch Battles  (Read 23032 times)
namre
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »

Art update!  Well, hello there!

Here's an update on the character animations:

As you can see, I've added the movements before the actual casting animation. I've also shown how the spell materializes from the character's hand.

I'll be adding a few more edits to this set soon. Like the slight shifting of the body, and the posture as she extends her hands. Then again, I think it looks fine as it is. I think I'll leave it at that for now and just add it if ever I have some remaining time before the compo ends.

Right now, having the basic animations is priority. If it looks okay and it looks like she is doing what she is supposed to be doing then we'll settle for that.

Also, I will be gone from Today until Sunday because I'll be joining our local GlobalGameJam, so no updates until then. See yah soon, guys.  Beer!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 03:55:18 AM »

I liiked the Super-Deformed version better

namre
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »

Hi guys. Sorry for the late updates. After the Global Game Jam, my work piled up like crazy that I had to finish them.

Anyways, here's an update on the art side: I've updated the previous casting animation that I did and added a few more frames to make the movement believable as well as head movement. You can see the new and old one side by side below:

Just a couple more frames and I'm finished with this animation. Still have a lot to go like the "spell reading", "getting hit", and "dying animations". And if I have time, maybe a victory animation as well.

22 more days to go until deadline :D
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »

Looking good, the head turning adds a lot!
namre
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »

Looking good, the head turning adds a lot!
I agree! I was actually hesitant to add the head turning at first but it turned out great. Might shift her posture a bit too.
namre
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »

Art update!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Well, hello there! Hand Thumbs Up Right

I've finally finished the casting animation! Phew! Check out the before and after shots side by side below:

I might take a break from animations and work on the background again. I'm also planning on buying a new Wacom tablet in hopes that it would help me work faster.

20 more days til the deadline!

EDIT: Oops. I need to edit the animations for the dangling hair too.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:47:13 AM by Accidental Rebel » Logged
namre
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »

Art update!  Hand Thumbs Up Left  Well, hello there!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Hi guys. Been very busy last week, this week I'm a little free so I'm gonna use the time to finish all the important art and animations.

Background now has the statue:

Fireball dissipate animation

I still have a lot to do :D Stay tuned!
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »

Nice impact - I like the flat side where it's splashed against something/someone.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »

Very nice impact. Makes me jealous of your mad art skillz :D

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
namre
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2011, 04:32:12 AM »

Very nice impact. Makes me jealous of your mad art skillz :D

Nice impact - I like the flat side where it's splashed against something/someone.

Thanks, guys. I actually wasn't confident with it at first, but I guess it's okay. :D

Now I'm excited to work on the other effects :D

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »

That sounds awesome! How far do you want to make the speech recognition aspect? Are there small speech commands, or do I actually have to chant a whole spell?
We will require players to chant the whole spell to cast it. The stronger the spell, the harder it will be to cast.

I am also excited on Milestone 3, where players need to look for and memorize the spells. Spells will be randomly generated so players are required to learn how to say them. By doing it this way, every match is a fresh start for everyone, nobody knows how to cast spells unless they learn it.

Or do the combine approach where a syllable = effect, combine effects eg A+E+I does something different, yet similar to O+E+I like.. "first syllable determines spell type, second determines strength/mana cost".. etc

destiny is truth pre-op
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2011, 04:12:50 AM »

I'm still alive. Life has been superbusy though, so plans for how the game is going to be by the compo end date are getting dodgier.

Today we have speech back and fixed (with pyspeech - I can compile CMU Sphinx now but as much as I'd like to dick around with it, we must prioritise), chant generation, and spellbook display started. In general you can now throw fireballs and raise shields against them, and all that works reasonably.

I'm open to suggestions for interesting sounding public domain text to use for creating the chants. Currently I'm using some generated lorem ipsum, which naturally throws out some pseudo-latin.

The chant generation right now is dumb - harder spell == more characters. I don't imagine it getting more complex than that by the end of the competition, but I think it will work adequately for what it needs to do. I think the pitch based stuff is probably going to be jettisoned for now, as well as any other Grand Plans for any sort of magical language making.
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2011, 04:34:29 AM »

? I hope not.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2011, 06:06:31 AM »

I have to write something in this thread so it'll appear in my "Show new replies to your posts." and I won't miss any update  Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic