Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:12:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Kung Fu Spirits
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kung Fu Spirits  (Read 2601 times)
Sengir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:40 AM »

Hello everyone, I'm would make a game about Kung Fu and PvP fighting, but not a Street Fighter's clone, I would add something interesting about the gameplay, or about the controls support (Xbox360's control pad).
There are 7 spirits to choose, from 7 differents Kung-Fu schools, every spirit has a different color.

Any interesting idea to reach my purpose?

Here you can see a screen for the layout.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »

Haha, that looks awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »

This looks great!
My ideas:
Add screenspace effects (bloom + vignette + noise/grain)
Make it Bushido-balde style (one hit = kill)

shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »

Yeah, I love that style.

Perhaps go slightly along Bushido Blade lines - when you hit an opponent's limbs the colour fades and they first become slower then unusable, so you have to adapt your fighting style to compensate. The first thing I actually thought of was the ability to take over an opponent's limbs but that'd be pretty hard to work outside of a ragdoll game.

Oh, Sos half beat me to it. Smiley
Sengir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »

Or maybe the character can change his combat style during the fight...so you can choose the right style if the situation requires it...

I also tought the char could disappear according to his life...when the lifebar is early empty the char is invisible so it's difficult to locate it but it's also good because he can beat the other one...I don't know I'm just shooting out ideas at the moment...

Other ideas are always welcome!

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »

There is an unfinished one-hit samurai fighting game myself and another TIGer made forever ago that revolved around adapting the proper stance to block certain attacks. There were three stances, each having an attack type, so it followed an RPS model. If your opponent threw a high attack you could block it no matter what your stance was, but there was a short delay before you got into blocking position; your stance vs. the enemy's attack affected how long that delay was. Also, the playfield was segmented into five or so 'slots', so that dodging and spacing and such were quite a bit simplified.

I do like the stance idea quite a bit because it communicates intention to your enemy. Nidhogg does the same thing to really good effect; you can play a lot of mind games just by positioning your character and your sword in certain ways. You don't see this as much in traditional fighters, where perhaps only positioning or attacking + cancelling contributes to any ability to "fake out" an opponent.

jwk5
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:18:31 AM »

Bushido Blade is one of my favorite games (especially the second one) so the possibilities here definitely has me interested, and anything martial arts is gold in my books. I really like the concept sketch there, it brings a nice colorful (but really easy to read) look to the fight. I look forward to seeing how this game pans out, keep at it! Beer!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »

I love that HUD, and I hope to see an awesome game come out of it!
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »

That is a sexy mockup screen.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Sengir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 01:41:40 AM »

I want to thank you all for the advice and commenting, here you can find a scheme for the interface, I think it could be a little innovative :-)

There are no differences between kicks or punches because there are only hits, and every martial arts school have their own. For example for tiger school the lower hit could be an hand blow, but for the crane school the lower hit could be a kick...

suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22:09 AM »

I really like the idea for the controls. It is simple yet combination's as you have shown can increase the complexity to whatever level the player is up to. Can't wait to see more.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic