Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:22:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsThat versus idea sounds awesome...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: That versus idea sounds awesome...  (Read 4428 times)
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »

...but I have just about no experience with actual game creation and would like to wait before I enter a competition. I do, however, want to try and make a competitive game within the time span of the competition.
What do you think? Is it a good idea to try to meet the challenge without actually participating, or should I just enter the competition anyway?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:58:38 AM »

Just go for it.

Interacting with other devs and tossing ideas around can really get you going on your project, and half of what makes these compos great is the help/hype feedback loop.
Lots of people don't end up completing their games or change their ideas utterly.
And many unfinished compo games have gone on to become great games with some post-compo polish.

Even if you don't particularly care about the deadline, you can still use the theme and the community to inspire you.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »

I agree. Everyone has to start somewhere, and the compo theme and timeframe helps to give you focus, and the feedback and encouragement you get from other entrants helps to keep you motivated. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Gentleman

Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:50:35 PM »

Awesome. I think I'll try to do that. I've kind of been putting thought in to what I would like to make and I think I'll be trying it out. Thanks!
ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »

Listen man, my advice to you and anyone else who wants to make games is to just go for it. Your life will change, for the better.

Buy a copy of Game Maker, or download Flashpunk or whatever, and just fucking get started. No excuses. Because if not now, then when? Admittedly, you might not finish your first project, and what you do finish will probably be shit, but that's okay. Just get started, and learn as fast as you can. And luckily for you, TIGS is (in my opinion) the best community to do that in.
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »

I agree. I am totally going to try and do this. I also already have MMF2 and have messed with Game Maker before (I even started learning some GML before losing my pro edition!). Anyway, I've made my topic in the Versus section ( http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17198.0 ), so please tell me what you think!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:31:07 AM »

John's right! MAK GAMS PEOPLES! It's not THAT hard!

ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:33:31 PM »

You will get angry. You will bash your head against the keyboard. You will cry like an oversized man-child. You will contemplate suicide.

But it's all worth it in the end.
jwk5
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »

Awesome. I think I'll try to do that. I've kind of been putting thought in to what I would like to make and I think I'll be trying it out. Thanks!
Even if you don't succeed at making the game before the contest is up you've at least started making a game and there is nothing to say you can't continue working on it long after the contest is over (there's also nothing to say you have to finish it at all, I have tons of unfinished game projects that were made for the fun of experimenting with game making not necessarily to complete a game).
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »

Echoing what everyone else is saying here, but you'll be amazed at how much you learn just by opening GM/Flashpunk/whatever and just running with it. Start small, but as you refine your skills things just start to flow. You will reach a point where you realize 'hey, I now know how to code whatever kind of game I want!'. That confidence feels gooooooood.

Good on you for taking part in the compo, too! Good luck!

Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »

Thanks again everyone for all of your encouragement. I think I'll like it here.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »

Yeah, in 1 month you can easily learn everything needed to make a simple game.

hi
Conker534
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »

Listen man, my advice to you and anyone else who wants to make games is to just go for it. Your life will change, for the better.

Buy a copy of Game Maker, or download Flashpunk or whatever, and just fucking get started. No excuses. Because if not now, then when? Admittedly, you might not finish your first project, and what you do finish will probably be shit, but that's okay. Just get started, and learn as fast as you can. And luckily for you, TIGS is (in my opinion) the best community to do that in.

Read this listening to http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/alone
 Tears of Joy
ink.inc
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »

Read this listening to http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/alone
 Tears of Joy

Yeah, it's a good piece of music, right? You can't believe how pumped I was when Shojin mailed it to me...
Conker534
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »

Damn the link. I saw it and i felt I had to press it.  Good song man I can't wait to see it.

But yeah dude, inspirational post. xD
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »

...but I have just about no experience with actual game creation and would like to wait before I enter a competition.

How do you plan on gaining experience if you don't just try and do it?

This is a non-rhetorical question.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic