Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:18:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Jules & Verne: Race to the Center of the Earth [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Jules & Verne: Race to the Center of the Earth [FINISHED]  (Read 12371 times)
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »

Nice graphics!

I played this alone, and during the digging I had increasing amounts of occasions where
A) A stone block turned to dirt when I dug there and disappeared
B) A dirt block turned out to be indestructible
C) A dirt block changed to a stone block, with similar results as in B.

In the end this prevented me from moving downwards. Also after the first few stages, I didn't get any monsters anymore, making the checkpoints obsolete.

I hope you keep working on this!

Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 03:37:12 PM »

Re:bugs -- that's really weird. That literally has never happened to me, at any point in the development process, and Ive's never mentioned anything like that happening either. Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know how to reproduce it? We are planning on continuing working on this, so hopefully that would be something I could get fixed...

Game was fun, even solo, but it seemed a bit long until you reach the end. Might get boring if one player is ahead, without any interaction between the players possible.

Yeah, good point. The Queen's Armory thing would've been a good way to solve it, but the deadline hit us pretty hard... I've got an idea for a fear mechanic that could help post-competition builds with that, where if you kill bunches more enemies than your opponent, you'll "scare" the enemies into your opponent's excavation shaft. Hopefully a little self-balancing, because your opponent will then necessarily start killing more enemies than you and scare them right back.

Is it just me or do the checkpoints get spaced out more towards the end? Also, at first I tried to replenish my health by interacting with the doctor. Maybe Refill health when you reach a checkpoint? Right now, it's better to die right after a checkpoint than running on with low health, hoping to reach the next. Making it so that a doc refills your hp when you reach him would fix both my confusion and that weird strategy.
After realizing it's a checkpoint I still didn't know if you just need to get on a doc's level or if you need to touch him to activate the checkpoint, so I suggest putting in a HEAL SOUND and refilling HP if you reach a doc to fix all these issues Smiley

Good point! I'll try to get that in -- it does right now make more sense to purposefully commit suicide if you're low on health and just passed a checkpoint than to keep soldiering on to the next one. By the way, the checkpoints actually appear approx. every 300 feet down -- but the enemies get tougher the deeper you go, so it takes more time and is more dangerous to move between checkpoints in the lower levels.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! Glad you guys are liking it, even in it's rough state.

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 09:52:16 PM »

Just played with my friend. Love the music and art! I got stuck on my way down though and couldn't progress so my friend ended up getting the furthest.

I didn't like that the characters couldn't fit down a single-tile space. It felt like I should have been able to. Also, maybe highlighting the tiles you would destroy with Dig might be a nice addition.. not sure.

Anyway, nice work! We had fun. :D

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »

The title screen got a big reaction. "Ok. This one is my favorite," someone said when the title came up. However, we ran into some bugs and overall the gameplay left us disappointed.

We only played once and quickly found ourselves in an unwinnable situation. One of the players got stuck by evenly spaced rocks across the whole screen, and they couldn't proceed.

We also ran into similar problems as Hempuli:
Dirt turning into stone.
Stone turning into dirt.
Dirt appearing where there was nothing.
Dirt being indestructible.

A few things we found odd or against expectation:
You couldn't fit into a one-square wide slot.
You could dig out 3+ blocks at a time.
You could dig non-adjacent blocks.

Some minor animation issues you're probably aware of:
If you walk into a wall, the character starts twitching.
Walking animation and walking speed aren't synced, leading to the subtle "foot sliding" problem.

Other thoughts:
Monsters did not present a challenge. We just ran past monsters without trouble. Maybe the gun is unnecessary? Without the gun, I think UP becomes unused and could be converted to JUMP. That would reduce the controls to just movement+1. (I'm always trying to reduce the number of inputs for some reason Grin).

Respawning at the top of the screen after dying felt unsatisfying. "You mean I have fall through all the holes I just dug?" I'm trying to think of alternatives, but I can't come up with anything.

The background could be used as an indicator for how deep you are. Things could gradually get more dark and scary.

Unfortunately we didn't play long enough to get a feel for what the gameplay was supposed to be like, but I hope to see some more from you guys!
sixteenbits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »

Play links seem to be broken. Am I missing something?
cheapshot
Level 0

Welcome to your DOOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »

just got around to playing this, and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for including my music. :D  Coffee

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic