Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:09:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel Art Advice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Art Advice  (Read 3910 times)
jarodl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm working on an iPad game and I'm wanting a retro, pixelated art style. I've never attempted anything like this so I was hoping to get some feedback. These are the three buildings that the player will be protecting. I'm hoping to have the background art done soon so you might have a better idea of the look I'm going for.

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jarodluebbert/5367909367/lightbox/
Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »

I think you're looking for the Workshop sub-forum.
jarodl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:16:05 PM »

Dang. My bad. I completely missed that.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »

Hey, if you're new to pixelling that's not a bad job at all. I'm assuming you're going for a relatively simple style... I'm far from an expert in these affairs, but a couple of things I notice right off the bat are that 1) the displays and little sliders look pretty flat; maybe putting shadows under their edges or something would add some depth, and 2) the green on the displays should perhaps be a bit brighter and more saturated, to give the impression that it's an LED sort of situation and not printed or something like that, which is sort of how it looks to me at the moment. Another solution might be to create a slight glow around the text and stuff, like by outlining it all in a shade closer to the display background, if you see what I mean.

Just my rambling attempts at suggestions, I might be totally off base.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:05:06 AM »

It's good as it is, but if you're going specifically for a retro style, you might want to limit your palette a bit more, and lower the resolution then run it at 2x res. Coffee

hi
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:33:36 AM »

Wot JR said!  They're good, but I think right now for me they don't look like buildings, really, just like big info panels/boxes. 

Maybe not a bad thing in its own right, of course.  Were you going for them being, say, 2-story tall buildings?  If so, I'd recommend rethinking some details closer to a 1:1 scale as-such, but I'll spare you the trouble of more details, if that's not the case.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic