Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 01:36:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Super Cake Fight [finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Super Cake Fight [finished]  (Read 11563 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »

SUPER CAKE FIGHT is a game where players barf and bake with the eventual intent of including each other in the resulting cake. Players inhale ingredients and then spit them into their cauldrons to make their cakes, and try to prevent each other from succeeding by vomiting cannonballs. Eventually, a cake will be completed, and the successful baker will attempt to stun, swallow, and barf the opposing player into the cake to WIN.

Pink uses Z, X, C, and S.
Green uses the arrows.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:03:38 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:35:05 AM »

I made a couple of proper animations for the player sprite:

I started learning Flashpunk, which is slow going, but it feels good to be able to run things in Windows and OSX. I've decided to make a little single-screen platform game where players race to collect the ingredients to build a cake. Players will inhale the ingredients into their mouths (like Kirby) and then spit them into a cauldron. Players can also choose to hit each other with bats, or bat the other's ingredients around. When a cake is complete, a player can win by batting the opponent, inhaling him, and spitting him into the completed cake.

So, basic Bubble Bobble-y jumpy game with Super Mario Versus-style anger.

|
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:40:06 AM »

I'd imagine batting a foe would knock out their ingredient, like how hitting an enemy in SSB can knock away their item.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »

I'd imagine batting a foe would knock out their ingredient, like how hitting an enemy in SSB can knock away their item.

Yes, I am going to try and transport the frustration of losing your gems in Powerstone to a tiny, tiny (160x140) screen.

First (boring) screenshot of a level I made in Ogmo and loaded into the game. Player is just a static image right now, because I wanted to tackle the level building first, since it terrifies me. I'm used to the (admittedly shitty, but brainless) room editor from Game Maker, so it is possible that I feel inordinately proud of this screenshot. STILL.

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:25:20 AM »

Some progress!

It is slower than I would like it to be, but you can now move the little gentleman around and jump. Known issues:

- Possible to jump through the corners of the level
- Occasionally, the monster will get stuck on the corner of a block. Probably just need to shrink his hitbox.

Next steps: swinging the bat and bopping the other person!

It's a little bit humbling after looking around at the likes of Masjin, etc., but it is my very first piece of anything in Flash.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:41:28 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:27:36 AM »

Er, that is a really awkward movement scheme. Z could go left, C right, and X jump. More natural that way.
Rooky
Level 0

Prince of London

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 05:07:59 AM »

Yeah, I found that the only way those controls didn't hurt my hand is by jumping AT ALL TIMES which is sortof impractical. Z+C to move and X to jump would work, and then perhaps M+. to move for player 2 and , to jump?

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I tend to think of keyboards as really baroque arcade controls, so I like to make mine two-handed, but with two players on a keyboard it becomes significantly more awkward.

Spent a long time putting the baseball bat in today (and fighting with Flashpunk's origin functions), and I realized I was creating the potential for keyboard-conflict griefing. So! I am trimming the design of the game. Originally I wanted four player verbs:

- Run
- Jump
- Inhale
- Bat

I've figured out how to collapse the last two into one button by putting a cannonball into the level that can be inhaled and fired at the other player. That should put more tension between collecting cake ingredients and thwarting the other player, too; players will have to choose which to inhale.

I'll save the bat animation for another game, since I rather like it.

|
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:22:41 PM »

I love the player graphics, level looks really damn boring though. It would be awesome if you could figure out how to make the levels look as nice as the characters, because they look pretty ace so far.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »

Maybe I should make some nicer tiles and a background? I didn't want it to be too busy, and I also wanted to mimic Bubble Bobble, but the only way to the future is over the corpses of fetish-y limitations.

Or do you mean different platforms / objects in the level?

EDIT:

Made a new tileset, and some ghosts / waves / clouds for the background. Will try to load it in tomorrow.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:43:59 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:40:36 PM »

Put in parallax scrolling and worked on making the tiles better. I call this stage "GHOST OCEAN".

To do:

- Implement inhale / barf mechanic
- Collision detection for other player
- Ingredient spawning / cakes
- Title screen
- Sound / music
- How to play screen
- A few boring sub-menus

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »

The player can inhale now. Next: inhaling items and spitting them out!

|
farmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 10:32:39 PM »

This is looking awesome. Are you going to have moving platforms or maybe some dynamic elements to your levels?

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »

I eventually want to have some hazards that will make you lose your currently inhaled item, but next stop is player interactions, items, and the win condition. I feel like I'm getting my feet underneath me as far as Flashpunk goes, and I'm finding more analogs to what I knew how to do in Gamemaker.

It's getting exciting! Less about reading tutorials, and more about implementation.

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »

OOL kicked my ass this week. Found out how much I was co-opting from tutorials and bad, bad Gamemaker habits. But! Got one ingredient in the game, got the player creating the "inhalation" object, and the two are interacting. Sack of flour still not subject to gravity; that's next up. Revised to-do list:

- gravity for item class
- "spit out" mechanic
- cauldron (this one will be simple)
- "cake" condition (when all items have been collected: i have made a constants class to handle this)
- bowling ball item
- player v. player interactions
- menu
- etc.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:41:55 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »

objects now set some global variables; the game can progress. players can put flour in the cauldron to spawn an egg. if duplicate flours are put into the cauldron, the duplicate respawns without updating the game.

difficult time figuring out how to reset the flour to its original spot, but i did it! also checks to see which cauldron the ingredient goes into, even though there's only one currently.

more animations in, too. also, object gravity and friction.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:42:13 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 02:37:43 PM »

I thought it'd be a lot more busy than it really is; I still suggest making the background more simple, though.

Also, those are some neat controls. I like them, they were just very 'unique', so I had to get used to them.

Fun game so far! Can't wait to try it with a pal.  Smiley
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:26 AM »

Fixed a LOT of bugs that didn't show up until I added all the items in and tried to play it with other people. In this version:

- items no longer get confused about who is inhaling them.
- cannonballs respawn properly
- there is a title screen, and
- a stage select, because now
- there are two levels: Ghost Ocean and Face Forest

I will see if I have time to add a little song and some sound effects tomorrow. If not, this might be considered the final version.

Hooray! First Flashpunk game. Things I am too tired to figure out right now:

1. How to compile a standalone executable.
2. How to get the splash screen to display properly (it's REAL BIG at 160 x 140).

Also, I know that Face Forest is crazy to look at; I will probably tweak the colors later.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:42:45 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »

FINAL (COMPO) BUILD

Put some sounds and music in. I'm sorry if it's a big download; I am not quite sure how to trim it down at the moment. I need to learn how to make a loading screen. Hope y'all enjoy it!

|
LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »

Haven't played it until now. Its awesome!

Download my games at www.gamersdelight.eu
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic