Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:13:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Talvisota [no more]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Talvisota [no more]  (Read 3625 times)
Paint by Numbers
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »

I have spent too much time dicking around and not enough time making games, and I figure this compo is a perfect place to start. I'm starting up a little late because of the aforementioned dicking around.

Placeholder post until I can get up a mockup: Talvisota is a "claustrophobic icy fantastic-historical military tactics typing game". Basically it's a slightly surreal Advance Wars-esque strategy game that is themed around the Winter War in Finland. And attacking or casting spells requires typing words faster/more accurately than your opponent.

Note that it's not a serious RTS of the Winter War. That would be AMAZING, but I can't make a proper RTS, so it's a weird fantasy adaptation of the story.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:50:28 PM by Paint by Numbers » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:58:30 PM »

Note that it's not a serious RTS of the Winter War. That would be AMAZING, but I can't make a proper RTS, so it's a weird fantasy adaptation of the story.

...And that's a bad thing HOW?

This sounds pretty interesting! I always liked Advance Wars (I just sucked at it), and with a bit of fantasy thrown in, it could get cool! I imagine this as WWI tech with magic.

Also, typing-games to cast spells? Interesting.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »

Thank you, Inanimate! Thinking about it more, it will probably be like an Advance Wars or maybe Fire Emblem strategy + when you attack someone, the accuracy is determined by a little DDR-like typing minigame.

The "defense" and "agility" of the other unit is how much the other player has an opportunity to do a little typing bit of his own to try to dodge. So, light units pitted against slower ones would have a random chance to dodge, but they'd have their own, identical typing pattern to copy while the slow unit is attacking. If they succeed it raises their chance of dodging; if they fail, it wrecks it.

A normal unit, say a swordsman-soldier, would have very short, simple patterns. If they and their opponent (say another swordsman) do equally well on their patterns, we can pretend it means they have hit their weapons together and failed to harm the other - so the pattern to type would start over again, but harder. This would repeat quickly until one side screws up more than the other, at which point the game determines the damage based on how badly they screwed up.

A wizard casting a huge spell on the entire map to damage all enemies would have an extremely intricate and difficult pattern to do, with no chance for the other player to fight against it, since they're not actually in a fight with the wizard. Screwing it up more than a little would result in the spell failing and probably hurting the wizard, or at least draining him.

Possibly, bonus treasures could be found as secrets on the map that would grant you various interesting effects, like if you succeed on a pattern of letters, the pattern continuing randomly at a slowly increasing speed to potentially add on to whatever damage or effect you do.

Sorry if any of this contradicts itself or doesn't make sense. I'm kind of stream-of-consciousness game designing right now.
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »

I like how you took this idea.

Also, actually there was RTS called "Talvisota - Icy Hell", but that was so shitty game. I wonder if it was published outside of my country.

Then, typing words. I guess you mean English words, don't you? (Of course you mean but just asked)

I'll look forward for this.  Gentleman

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »

Few years ago there was a typing-game like this. Typing of the Dead. It was a zombie survival and you had to type names of the zombies to injure them and after a few writings of their name, they would die.
http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/39653-the-typing-of-the-dead-windows-screenshot-they-are-everywhere.jpg
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »

Then, typing words. I guess you mean English words, don't you? (Of course you mean but just asked)

Actually, I was thinking of using whatever language Finnish evolved from. Is there such a thing as Old Finnish? Basically what I'd like it to be would be the equivalent of English wizards shouting Latin or Old English to cast spells.

Few years ago there was a typing-game like this. Typing of the Dead.

What a strange series to make a typing game out of!
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »

Yeah, there's basically "old Finnish" but it's from behind 200 years or so.
Or then you could use Kalevala-style Finnish, but it isn't connected with Talvisota in any way.

...Did I get your point? =/

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »

Yes you did, and thank you! Grin

I think this game probably won't actually have a ton to do with the actual Talvisota.
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »

Happy to help.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:10:08 AM »

If you want old sounding finnish, definitely look into kalevala. It even has lots of spells in itself. And if you are into fantasy, why not use kalevala and finnish mythology instead of winter war? There is lots of things to draw from there.

Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 05:41:11 AM »

If you want old sounding finnish, definitely look into kalevala. It even has lots of spells in itself. And if you are into fantasy, why not use kalevala and finnish mythology instead of winter war? There is lots of things to draw from there.
I definitely second this.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 05:48:26 AM »

Typing of the Vakyrie Chronicle in old english! "Gwhyt my Eijnhenjar! Your my only hwupke!"

Hwaet brethr!

You should make it learn spells from people! this would be awesome! Think "You learned 'ur granma is a twat HURR DURR' spell"

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 06:16:15 AM »

I definitely second this.

This sure sounds like it could get interesting. You seem to have a veritable wealth of ideas here, PBN!
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »

I think that this is a very good idea. However I will probably still find a way to add in tanks and guns.

Does anyone know of a good online version of the Kalevala?
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »

Well, there is this smith, Seppo Ilmarinen who does several things from metals so you could have somekinda magical tanks etc :D

As of online version, only Finnish ones. If you want english, you probably need to go check some bigger library near of you. Shouldn't be impossible to find from a library with decent stock of books.

But Wikipedia should help too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalevala and just googling about finnish folklore.

Filth
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »

How about http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/?
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »

Project dropped because I'm too amateurish and real life is busying me up. Thanks for the kind words though, and I'm glad I got an online copy of the Kalevala out of it! Grin
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic