Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:34:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Grapplefight (working title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Grapplefight (working title)  (Read 2072 times)
squidlarkin
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:08:05 AM »

Super early prototype available here

--(original post follows)--

"I totally want to see a versus grappling-hook oriented duel game. That'd be @#$%ing awesome." -ChevyRay

It would! And I think I can do that. I'll have to resist the urge to reuse my existing grappling platformer engine... (unless reuse would be ok?)

Not sure if I have the wherewithal to make it playable through the webitubes, but I'll see what I can do. And I reserve the right to change the project to something completely different if it strikes me.

And since I don't hang around here much, here are a couple of versus games I've already made, to whet your appetites:
Cave Sporey
Hot Bees
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:07:27 PM by squidlarkin » Logged
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:13:21 AM »

The grapple hooks thing sounds like it could be pretty interesting

also, your links are broken

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »

Grapple Hooks?

Aaaaaalright, bring it! Do your worst best!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »

Reusing old code is totally okay.

Also, please place the correct message icon on your thread's first post. Smiley

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
squidlarkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »

Sweet! In that case I might have something super-rudimentary but playable up as early as tomorrow.

Also, I'm open to recruiting an artist, if anyone's interested.
squidlarkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:30:46 AM »

Here's something:
http://porknougat.zxq.net/grapplefight0.0.1.zip
Not much yet, but there's your grappling and your shooting. Player 1 is WASD+mouse, player 2 uses a dual-analog gamepad, and most gamepads probably won't even work right. Doesn't matter much, since you can't actually hurt each other yet anyhow.
squidlarkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »

Has anyone tried the prototype yet? Would love some feedback on the feel of the controls, the scale of the characters, the amount of recoil and so forth.

Also had an idea about the scoring system: what if instead of actually killing the other players, you just get points based on how much damage you do? And maybe you'd get double points for hitting someone with a higher score than you, to keep anyone from getting too far ahead.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »

Feels pretty good. Will the rope bend around corners or keep with only the end having any sort of collision detection?
ghosted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »

Just had a quick flutter and couldn't help thinking the grapple really doesn't behave like you'd expect. But maybe it'd be nice to embrace that. I purposefully stopped using the movement keys and just tried to get around by flinging myself and quite enjoyed it. If you combined that with a race to reach the top of a tower the flinging, grabbing and momentum of it all could be quite amusing (especially if you could grapple each other).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic