Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:18:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)TTTCW (Thubalup Thubalup Thump Crack Whump) [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: TTTCW (Thubalup Thubalup Thump Crack Whump) [FINISHED]  (Read 18543 times)
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:03:04 AM »

Thubalup Thubalup Thump Crack Whump (TTTCW for short) is a two-player (local play only) game of medieval jousting.

Setup:

On the title screen you can configure both players. You can change their names (letters and numbers only, no space!) and you can indicate whether a given player is Sir or Lady (just click a proper text above their head).

You can always return to the title screen by pressing ESCAPE key.

Gameplay:

The aim of the game is to dismount the opponent. You can do it with your lance but the opponent can deflect your lance with their shield (to deflect the lance the shield must be in the same position - shield up if lance is up, etc.). The exactly same rules apply inversely so have to use your shield to deflect opponent's lance and not get dismounted.

If you score in a given round, your score indicator will flicker.

Controls:

In the game you control lance and shield of your knight. Both lance and shield have three valid positions (up, middle, down). When no button is pressed both lance and shield assume middle position. Now the buttons:

Left player:

• [ Q ]   lance up
  • [ A ]   lance down
  • [ W ]  shield up
  • [ S ]   shield down

Right player:

• [ I ]    lance up
  • [ K ]  lance down
  • [ O ]  shield up
  • [ L ]   shield down

Standard keys:

• [ ESCAPE ]  return to title screen
  • [ SPACE ]     start, continue, etc.
  • [ P ]  pause game
  • [ + ]  increase sound volume
  • [ - ]   decrease sound volume
  • [ 0 ]  mute all sounds

Trivia:

• This is my first publicly available, complete game ever. So please, be gentle.
  • The music comes from the website of Jon Sayles (there's some really nice medieval music, go check!).
  • Ouch sounds for Sir were performed by me. Ouch sounds for Lady were performed by my wife, Joan (hi Honey! Durr...?).

Technicals:

• The game is built on top of Flixel and uses Box2D to simulate falls of dismounted knights.

Known bugs:

• On Linux there may be some noticeable sound lag. It's not Flash's fault (some drivers problem, I believe).
  • On Linux there may be some annoying screen flickering. It is Flash's fault (try updating the Flash Player version).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:40:23 AM by goshki » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »

What's the acronym stand for? How does the game play?

Totally Tubular Tournament Chess World? (knights, horses, physics... okay the last one doesn't fit.)
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »

What's the acronym stand for? How does the game play?

Totally Tubular Tournament Chess World? (knights, horses, physics... okay the last one doesn't fit.)

Haha, not even close! Grin It stands for Thubalup Thubalup Thump Crack Whump and it is my random interpretation of sounds that can be heard during jousting tournaments! There are galloping horses, lances hitting shields, lances cracking on knights and finally knights falling off horses and hitting ground! As to physics, I'm going to use it mainly to model gorgeous falls and I'm fine with it. Wink

That said, I've hacked together the first playable prototype: Thubalup Thubalup Thump Crack Whump - prototype 01

It features:

• controllable knights
  • knight/lance, lance/shield collision handling
  • scoring system

There are some glitches but all seems sound and fair. It feels much rock-paper-scissors right now but the controls scheme is not final and I'll be working on it (but feel free to comment if you think of something more predictable/skill-based).

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »

The graphics!  Kiss

I will have to give this a go tomorrow when i have someone to play it with haha.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:29:42 AM »

Hm... I've received some signals that sometimes the controls do not work the way they are intended (i.e. the knight falls off the horse althoug he was protected by the shield). Could anyone please confirm?

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 06:28:36 AM »

Interesting real-time RPS.  Are the player customizations going to effect gameplay at all?  I only played a half dozen rounds or so (against myself), but didn't run into the problem you've described.
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »

Interesting real-time RPS.  Are the player customizations going to effect gameplay at all?  I only played a half dozen rounds or so (against myself), but didn't run into the problem you've described.

Nope, character customizations will be strictly decorative. I think this game could be most appropriate for small house parties where friends compete with each other in a hot-seat fashion. Therefore rules should be as simple as possible, and the gameplay as skill-based as possible, just like in Wii Sports for example.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 07:51:25 AM »

Simple and fun.. loved it! Smiley

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »

Nice game. Some times the knigth on the right side does not get knocked off when he is blocking middle and the the left knight is striking low. It happens about 1/3 the time.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »

Hahah awesome; I like where this is going. Smiley

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 11:25:29 PM »

Nice game. Some times the knigth on the right side does not get knocked off when he is blocking middle and the the left knight is striking low. It happens about 1/3 the time.

Yeah, I've seen this. But the score was updated properly? Wasn't it? Beg

Right now I'm delving into Player.IO to see how much will it take to make it online. Basic Flash/Flixel (client)/C# (server) integration with Player.IO is a snap. The harder part will be moving all the physics code to the server because I have no experience with C#. I've found the Farseer library. It's a C# port of Box2d but I have to figure out how to reference it in the server code. Anyone has done it before?

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 02:50:49 AM »

Right now I'm delving into Player.IO to see how much will it take to make it online. Basic Flash/Flixel (client)/C# (server) integration with Player.IO is a snap. The harder part will be moving all the physics code to the server because I have no experience with C#. I've found the Farseer library. It's a C# port of Box2d but I have to figure out how to reference it in the server code. Anyone has done it before?

Meh, looks like using Box2d in Player.IO server code is unfeasible/utterly hard/unreasonable. So it's time for plan B! Focusing on offline, one-computer multiplayer for now and deferring online multiplayer for later. Also I guess it's going to be totally enough if the server solves knight/lance/shield collisions in a simple Flixel-like manner and the knight fall ragdoll animation is handled on the client side. After all, this animation is just for the lols!

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »

Today I started implementing menu system. Typically in Flixel menus are made as states but I'm to try another route. I want to the menu to be totally independent from the current state so you can switch states in background or update the current state while walking through various menu screens.

raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 06:01:36 AM »

Doesn't the left player have an advantage, because they're turned away (and thus it's harder to see if their shield is centered/down)? I guess both players "facing forward" like the right player looked wrong? Sad
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »

Doesn't the left player have an advantage, because they're turned away (and thus it's harder to see if their shield is centered/down)? I guess both players "facing forward" like the right player looked wrong? Sad

I just couldn't visualise the left player facing toward the "camera" and yet be able to move his shield up and down (it goes way below horse's back). Yet I see your point although I thought players are rather going to concentrate on opponent's lance.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »

You don't have to simulate falling physics on server side, do you?

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 11:20:40 AM »

Of course not. Smiley They're just for the lolz after all... Wink

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »

Of course not. Smiley They're just for the lolz after all... Wink
So making multiplayer for this game won't be so hard, hm?

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 11:18:38 PM »

So making multiplayer for this game won't be so hard, hm?

I guess I'd be able to restructure the code in one evening to make it capable of online multiplayer (I mainly have evenings to work on the game). But it poses a dillema: focus on an offline (on one keyboard) multiplayer that I have now and finish the game before the deadline or try to add online multiplayer and risk not finishing the game because of the scope (I expect a ton of online-related technical and design issues; having gameplay controlled by the server is just a tip of an iceberg).

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 05:47:37 AM »

You are right, it's better to finish singleplayer game than not finish multiplayer.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic