Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:39:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Mod-Cave
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Mod-Cave  (Read 3918 times)
NFour
Level 0

Grow Old or Die Trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »

I'm curious as to how you'll handle multiplayer gameplay-wise. Will it be real-time, or semi-real time or...something different o_o

The generate-as-you-go part sounds delightful, though - it'd be interesting to generate parts of the world based on where you've been and such, like coming upon a razed village, and then, seeing that you've been there, generating a group of survivors in exodus for you to come across, and then coming upon a camp of the soldiers who razed the place, and finally the horde army they belong to...or something simpler, I dunno. In any case it sounds rad, and mod support is always a wonderful thing.

Not really sure what you mean by semi-real time, but excluding lag it should be real time >_<

As for generation events, I do plan on adding a couple of small events, maybe short chains but nothing too complex/long
although the "generators" can also just read from a file too, when the server calls a plugin for a map at [x,y], the generators from the plugins take full control on the output, so the developer can generate a fully new map of whatever type, a map that had been generated from a previous server run being read from a file, or a map that the developer may have written in a level editor, like a town or something!

Personally, I find the ASCII graphics rather charming.

This actually looks like something I was working on, only a lot better executed. Now I won't feel so bad about not using that idea.

I am kinda fond of them, they make the objects open to speculation plus its a lot easier on me Tongue
However it also makes it difficult to find text that fits the part you are trying to portray without stretching the idea too far and getting obnoxious
Ill probably end up with a ascii/drawn hybrid like you see in the pic >_>
NFour
Level 0

Grow Old or Die Trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

Added line-of-sight to the lighting + a gradient
And I got kinda carried away while scratching out my servers domain Tongue
Big box on the right is the incoming chat window, and the small one is the outgoing

You cant really see it here but the big black box is actually 1 big map  + 8 smaller ones surrounding it to preview the next map your about to move when you approach the edges

Kinda just re-realized that I still need to spice up the gui, since it looks lonely and empty and bald and bad... could use some advice there since Im under the impression that thats about the best java guis can get, but I really hope not >_<

Also worth noting, the generator + AI are now fully run off a plugin system, so the server is now basically the shell console thing I was planning, albeit a bit less fancy, but creations never live up to the mind bogglingly beautiful things that you originally concoct in your dreams Tongue

This really just leaves optimization and decent content
Hopefully that gets done relatively quickly between schoolwork >_>
NFour
Level 0

Grow Old or Die Trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »

What Ive done:
Wrote a glimpse of a simple room generator to hold the tribes, as seen above
Added an inventory
Made the gui look kidna better
Rewrote a couple unbelievably crappy things to make it faster

So really the entire basis of the project is finised, ie the shell of a server that runs fully off plugins
All thats left is for me to add is the starting plugin to make it a game, but soem of it is kinda already there

Hopefully I can get a pre-alpha thing out soon to test for speed issues with more than 5 clients
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic