Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:21:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBunny Bomb Barrage [Demo/Screenshot available]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bunny Bomb Barrage [Demo/Screenshot available]  (Read 2068 times)
Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »

The Game:  Bunny Bomb Barrage

The Objective:
The Crimson Rabbit Collective are bombing the last Magical Star Tower left, attempting to destroy magic with technology. Survive a barrage of increasingly difficult bombs and rockets, while traversing to the bottom floor of the building and collecting as many magical star bits along the way. Destructable terrain means you have to make use of holes caused by explosions to escape.

Players:
1 (Goal is to add local and network multiplayer of up to 4 players)

Genre: Platform Jumping/Survival/Collection

Inspired by a level in Little Big Planet for the PS3 where bombs drop and you have a similar escape goal.

Right now the game is very bare bones, so please forgive the cruddy placeholders and graphics. Also, by the third level of difficulty, your framerate should still stay around 30 on a regular laptop or PC. Tested on a cruddy PC, it didn't go below 25 so that's fixed. The terrain engine I'm using was provided free on the Gamemaker forums by Meganoob. It has been modified.

Feedback on your computer specs and if it runs slow or not is appreciated. No FPS monitor in this version, so just a general description is fine. Runs well on my 1.6ghz laptop.

Feedback on the general concept is appreciated. Eventually players will be able to whip their ears to either stun eachother or pick up and toss bombs that have not yet exploded (Though this will likely sometimes get them killed).

Controls: Arrow keys to move and jump.

Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f89p082wwu2uhpj

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:10:45 PM by Kit630 » Logged

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »

Updated the screenshots, updated the graphics and story. Parallax scrolling background. Updated "story" description. Demo available, optimized, framerate shouldn't be as bad.

Lower half of the demo tower is missing, was testing the parallax y scroll.

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »

I like the premise, but the bunny seems move a bit too slow for my tastes. Also, I wonder if you could solve the lag with ChevyRay's Seamless Screen-Scaling tutorial?

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:31:39 PM »

The main character reminds me of this although never the less the game looks fun (although my netbook is a pile of crap which won't run anything so I'll have to wait to try it out)
Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »

@tim-bo-jay: XD Yea, wow. It does look a lot like a digimon character now that I look at him. Also, I've been reminded of the Rabites (or however you spell it) from Secret of Mana. Maybe I'll add little feet to differentiate haha. Hope you like it when you get the chance to give it a shot.

@lasttea999: Thanks for the feedback, I'll tweak the walking speed and see if I can get it right. I don't think a bit faster movement speed will harm the gameplay at all. As well, thanks for the mention of ChevyRat's tutorial. I'll give it a shot. Not sure if it will help with lag (I think it's just from the sheer number of objects on the screen once the second and third bomb waves come) but I will give it a shot either way. I still need to do some more optimizing.

On another note, I brought this to a LAN party and added a two player mode, though the selection process and title screen are dull and ugly, so I won't release it until I have a proper menu and game over screen. The players thoughts on it were favorable. I'll try to fix some of the FPS issues before releasing the next demo.

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:38:59 AM »

I like the premise, but it tends to get a little repetitive. Maybe if you add some more bomb types (like missiles, bomb arrows, plasma shots, etc)
But that's a surely fun game to play Smiley Congratulations!

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »

@saint11: Thank you for the feedback :D I do have it so that rockets start coming down as well after two or three minutes. As for other types, that will definitely be added. I don't think there is enough floors in the demo before the rockets start coming, but they make it hectic as hell lol.

Making good progress on this though, will have a lot to show next update.

Edit: And I did add plasma shots thanks to your suggestion. Tier 3 difficulty, they start falling. they go through bricks without destroying them, but can kill you :3
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:08:10 AM by Kit630 » Logged

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »

Link: [/b] http://www.mediafire.com/?f89p082wwu2uhpj

New version out, graphical improvements, and scaled back the beginning difficulty. Controls are now the arrow keys. Two player and multiplayer not yet available. Added plasma bolts on the third tier difficulty, which each tier increments every minute or so. By suggestion, added plasma blasts as an extra bullet type. Now there are bombs, rockets, and plasma. Also increased movement speed by suggestion.

Bombs bounce and explode after time, and you can touch them before then.

Rockets are impact explosions, no touchy.

Plasma travels through blocks without destroying them, but will kill you on touch.

Enjoy!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic