Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:09:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Meow vs. Rawr!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Meow vs. Rawr!  (Read 3926 times)
mintpuffs.
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »

Yay! competition time!  Grin

Not exactly sure what I'm doing, but...

I'm thinking a cutesy tower defense game where one player is building towers to fend off the other player who's controlling the invading monsters.

One player would be Team Meow (the defenders), and the other Team Rawr (attackers).

And since I can't program at all, there wouldn't be any online things going on. OTL
Sorry! I'd probably accidentally take down the internets if I tried. xD

So yeah. No content at all yet.
Just making this thread for motivation and feedback and so I have somewhere to post all those "ohgodicantdothisD:" panic posts once I start trying to code this thing.

Here's a crappy doodle though!

I'd love ideas and any help possible ^_^ especially people who's played a lot of TD games because I'm pretty much a newbie at those.
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »

So, cute stuff? And Tower Defense? I like! Beer!

How would the controls be for two players local?

MrRoboman
Level 0

That egg just hatched a man!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »

You can do it!
mintpuffs.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »

So, cute stuff? And Tower Defense? I like! Beer!

How would the controls be for two players local?
Thanks!

Well, my initial idea was that the defending player would use the keyboard to move some sort of avatar around and place towers. Player 2 would use the mouse to buy and upgrade monsters and draw a path for them to travel on...

I think, heh.
Still figuring things out, so any ideas would be loved! ^^
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »

If the game keeps this style, theme, and cuteness, I might explode, spraying forth rainbows and splattering candy.
jwk5
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »

I love your art style! I also like tower defense games (I am addicted to SquareSoft's Crystal Defenders). What program are you using to make the game?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »

Don't be afraid of asking for technical help with coding stuff. Also good luck. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »

this looks fun. maybe I can suggest going a Plants vs zombies route (i think crystal defenders does this too) but use lanes to battle in instead of drawing a path. it should clear up some of your coding or even simpler look at Swords and Soldiers for Wii-ware. its an RTS only in 2D. maybe you give the player a 2d world and guy A is selecting what monsters to send out and the other player is working on defending the tower at the end. also this might give you some ideas.
http://www.squidi.net/three/entry.php?id=103

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »

I would suggest using Construct, it is pretty powerful and has an "event sheet" system that's pretty easy to implement behavior in. Game Maker is a viable choice as well that has a bigger community to learn from.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »

We're all counting on you, making gams is fun!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »

I think going 2D, like Swords & Soldiers, would be simplest, most fitting to the style, and still have a great deal of fun. I look forward to seeing where you take this!
mintpuffs.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! Smiley
I will definitely do my best not to let you down.

I be using Construct ^^ Though I might move back to Game Maker if Construct won't stop fighting with me D:
Maybe some simple online support would be easier to add in Game Maker, too? Anyone who knows?
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »

A towerdefense multiplayer online game is everything but simple, if that's your first online game...

mintpuffs.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 11:28:32 AM »

A towerdefense multiplayer online game is everything but simple, if that's your first online game...
I didn't mean it would be easy to make, just that maybe I could try some simple form of online support, maybe turnbased or even just an online highscore list. ^^; But I don't have the slightest idea how online gaming works, so I guess I should just focus on making a great offline game instead.

Unless someone knows a great online tutorial for GM or Construct. One that even idiots like me could understand.  Tongue
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »

There's a series of youtube tutorials about making a td in gm.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic