Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:47:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUntitled Sandbox Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Untitled Sandbox Game  (Read 2012 times)
decepto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

Hi everyone,

Gentleman

This is my first post here. If you frequent allegro.cc's forum, you might know me as Decepto. My real name is Nicholas Carlson.

I've been working on a game engine on and off since August 2010. On the surface the engine appears to be similar to that of Minecraft. I can't say I haven't been inspired by Minecraft, but I'd like to take the engine (and subsequent game) in a different direction.

I'm looking for ideas on what people would like to see. Give me your wildest ideas! I'll do my best to implement the best ones.

You can download the current binary here:

rogueminer.com/download/

UPDATED LINK

Point of interest:
* take a look at /data/scripts/level.lua. The blocks array holds the world block data. 0 is off, 1 is grass, 2 is wood and 3 is stone.

Here's a video:

I would love some feedback. Whatever's on your mind, just let it out.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:29:02 PM by decepto » Logged
Conker534
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »

Coolio!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:35:59 PM by Conker » Logged
NFour
Level 0

Grow Old or Die Trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »

You could make an outrageously crazy and chaotic platformer where you have to jump your way up those randomly placed cubes in the sky while at the same time avoiding cubes falling from above

Maybe the wood cubes fall after you hit them too to make your path even more challenging Tongue

Thats just kinda the first thing that popped into my head when I watched your video, but it seemed like fun
Nice engine by the way
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »

1. A tool for Roleplay Games - kinda like how Death by Sleep is a story telling tool, someone gets dungeon master style control over everything including NPC control (maybe in an RTS style) while the other players take on the roles of characters/questers in the world.

2. A Space style take on the MC genera, you have to fly to different planets seeking out resources and so on...although I guess there is a danger there of becoming too much like Salvage...so yeah...number 1!
decepto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »

2. A Space style take on the MC genera, you have to fly to different planets seeking out resources and so on...although I guess there is a danger there of becoming too much like Salvage...so yeah...number 1!

This sounds like a fun idea, even though I've never played Salvage.

You could make an outrageously crazy and chaotic platformer where you have to jump your way up those randomly placed cubes in the sky while at the same time avoiding cubes falling from above

This is a great idea for testing out the physics engine. It should be easy enough to implement.

I had a couple ideas for directions in which to take the game:

Grow meets Harvest Moon

Some of you might not be familiar with grow. It's a flash game where the order in which one applies upgrades determines how the world grows.

So, imagine you start off on a very small world, say 32x32x32 blocks. You then have to grow and harvest crops a la Harvest Moon or Minecrafts mining. The harvested crops are then "fed" to the planet somehow. Maybe through a magical well of some sort.

Depending on what you feed the planet, it will grow in different ways. Maybe it will increase the size of the planet. Maybe it will change the planets biome. Maybe it will cause different types of crops or mobs to randomly spawn.

The point is, no two games would be the same. The world will dynamically change depending on the players actions.

An Acrobatic FPS Platformer

One of my favorite things to do in an FPS is rocket jump. QA3 was great at this. When friendly fire was turned off, a player could perform some amazing maneuvers by rocket jumping from wall to wall. Here's a

showing what I mean.

I think a puzzle FPS platformer similar to Portal where rocket jumps are the main tool would be fun to develop.

A Tower Defense -- Minecraft Mashup

I can imagine a game similar to Desktop Tower Defense where you have to run around in first-person mode placing blocks to direct mobs. You could also "build" towers by placing blocks in correct configurations. Perhaps the player would be able to commandeer any given tower, allowing them to fire when and where they choose.
decepto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »

I've added new binaries. If you are running Linux or Mac, would you mind downloading the game to make sure that I have dependencies sorted out. Thank you!

http://www.rogueminer.com/download/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic