Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:21:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Quake - [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Quake - [FINISHED]  (Read 9861 times)
Nix
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »

Guys I need some help with the keystrokes. See windows only allows a maximum of 3 keys down at a time before it jams. is there anyway around this? or is it too chancy?

That's a problem with your keyboard.
iffi
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »

Guys I need some help with the keystrokes. See windows only allows a maximum of 3 keys down at a time before it jams. is there anyway around this? or is it too chancy?

That's a problem with your keyboard.
Yes, some keyboards are better than others when it comes to this. For example, on the keyboard I'm using right now I can't hold down both shift keys and Q, W, E, R, T, or Y at the same time, but it works if I press U, I, O, or P instead. On my other keyboard, however, I can hold down both shift keys and Q, W, E, or R without a problem (though T and Y still don't work).
As far as I know, the best way around this is to either design your game to require as few buttons as possible held down at one time, or at least to allow customizable controls or gamepad support.
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »

...As far as I know, the best way around this is to either design your game to require as few buttons as possible held down at one time, or at least to allow customizable controls or gamepad support.

I've been looking into this for a few weeks, I've decided to have penalties for pressing keys too long.
for future reference I wonder if theres a way to connect two keyboards and reliably detect which one is which, using code
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 12:25:02 AM »

See First Post for Download Info
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:38:40 AM by Glinka » Logged
RSD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »

Really original version of quake XD you should include a single player mode 2 Smiley

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 01:43:45 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while.

The game often tried to scroll because of the large vertical resolution required and lack of fullscreen or resolution option. Sounds were annoying. We didn't really get into this, as it felt mostly like a joke.

twitter: @docky
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while.

The game often tried to scroll because of the large vertical resolution required and lack of fullscreen or resolution option. Sounds were annoying. We didn't really get into this, as it felt mostly like a joke.

I can see how you could percieve it this way. I can tell you that it was in NO way serious, but it WAS intended to be a fun game.

If it didnt go fullscreen automatically you're probably using a version of Windows higher than XP. In that case you could resize the window to around 80w x 50h chars.
Your're right, it would be tough to get into a game with these kinds of issues, but I wouldnt have written 10 thousand lines as a joke XD.

Ascii improperly done just isnt much fun.
I guess.

Also, due to the deadline I couldnt have the audio options completed.
- The crowd volume should have been adjustable
- The F10 menu was a bit impromptu

You can delete the audio files that are the most annoying I guess.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:32:02 AM by Glinka » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic