Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:41:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Gasbags at Dawn [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gasbags at Dawn [FINISHED]  (Read 11911 times)
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »

Well I managed to sneak a couple of hours of extra work time out of the GDC biz, so here's a finished version. It's not *very* finished, but it does work, you can win and lose, and there's jaunty music to boot:

Download Gasbags at Dawn 1.0

I had to rewrite my font code because I didn't have the tool I normally use to generate bitmap fonts on the laptop. Plus I had to buy a new power adapter since the one I brought had no earth pin Sad Truly eleventh hour stuff Smiley

Will
NewlandArcher
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »

Great style, music was a super addition. Glad to see you found a way to insult your users who merely want to quit the game, that's always nice. Smiley

Very well done, hope the presentation goes well!
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Hey this looks great, but I can't get it to run.  When I try to run it, I get an error message saying I need MSVCR100.dll and that I should try reinstalling.

I did reinstall but to no avail.

I'm on Windows 7

-PENCERKOFF

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

Thanks for giving it a try at least! The installer is supposed to download and install the VC2010 redist, but maybe something screwed up. Can you try installing:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

and running it again?

I'll double-check that I didn't break something in the install script this afternoon.

Cheers,

Will
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 01:11:12 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Indeed that did it.  Took a second to realize that you can stop pumping after you first get started.  I played through most of two rounds before this happened:

I think it was coincidental, but I think I hit alt on accident just before this happened.

If you fix your download, be sure to modify your first post with it at the top so no one has to search for it.

Fun game

-PENCERKOFF

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »

Finally back in the office after GDC and a week working for a client in Berkeley, yay!

I managed to get a look at the installer last week, and it all looked as intended. I think maybe what happened is it silently failed to download the VC2010 runtime and then didn't let you know.

I've reworked the install script to ensure the prerequisites exist (or are successfully download and installed) before allowing the game files to install.

Unfortunately my hosting plan hit the bandwidth cap so there's no way to D/L the game at the moment. I should have this fixed in a day or so.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for trying it out. Do you think the pumping thing would be more obvious if the prompt was bigger? VFX/SFX might work too - if you stop hearing the noise (and 'W' then makes the burner light instead) it should be more apparent what's going on.

Cheers,

Will
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game.
Unfortunately we ran away when faced with the installer. Sad

twitter: @docky
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »

This news makes me a sad panda. I had a zip file version but then there's the issue of ensuring you have the VC2010 runtime installed.

Is there no good way to distribute C++ windows apps?
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 01:47:52 AM »

Just a quick note to add that I've uploaded the improved installer - same download link as before:

Download Gasbags at Dawn 1.0

If you were able to install 1.0 successfully, you don't need this. If you had the problem Pencerkoff reported:

Hello this is Pencerkoff
When I try to run it, I get an error message saying I need MSVCR100.dll and that I should try reinstalling.

then give the new installer a try. It'll tell you if it can't download the VC2010 redist, and make sure that it installs successfully before continuing to install the game.

@Pencerkoff: Thanks for reporting the Box2D crash - I haven't seen that before. I don't think the ALT key would matter - the physics sim runs on a fixed time step, so the Windows menu loop shouldn't get in the way of the update. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

Cheers,

Will
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 02:15:58 AM »

Looks quite interesting Grin
Downloading.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »

This news makes me a sad panda. I had a zip file version but then there's the issue of ensuring you have the VC2010 runtime installed.

Is there no good way to distribute C++ windows apps?

Maybe you can link the runtime statically.
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »

You can if you pay for the full version of VC2010 - maybe I should bite the bullet and do that. There's still DirectX to worry about though.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »

I didn't know that you need the full version for that. Another option would be to use mingw-gcc, but I guess switching compilers for a project isn't much fun. I guess it depends on whether you want to invest money or time Smiley. And it doesn't solve the DirectX problem either, though maybe you can develop against an old version that most people already have.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic