Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:46:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopLooking to improve
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking to improve  (Read 5580 times)
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:01:43 AM »

Hi folks, I'm doing the art work for Powernoughts, and after posting my first mockup I realise I could really use some help:

Any suggestions on how to make it look more vibrant, make it 'pop' more? The ships on the lines of blocks look like they get a little lost, maybe change the colours some? And I need to do something about the drab background colour of the playring field, but without detracting from the important stuff (items and stuff bouncing around).

Isolated game element sprites

Any pointers, tips, suggestions very welcome.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:16:11 PM by Destral » Logged

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:13 PM »

I just edit the palette. Try to go outside just one color for each range and try not to oversaturate your palette.

You can use a background, if you do make sure you prioritize your color. So that you have a desaturated and not very intense background, that way your foreground sprites and tiles can be more colorful and catch the eye.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:59:30 AM »

Wow this got kinda out of hand. I guess I liked doing these.

As you can see in my "revamp", enough contrast and hue shifts help this image a lot.
As for the "player sprite" I think mixing in some neutral or complementary colors will make it pop. This way you can keep the laser/light thingies vibrant.
Kramlack
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »

Pretty much as Green said, there's contrast issues between the shades on yours that make it hard to read, as well hue shifting will help you a lot.

As far as the actual character sprites go, I'm a stickler for simplistic shading, so that would be my advice.

I'll try and get some examples done shortly. Sorry, no can do at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:34:52 PM by Kramlack » Logged
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. For a while I was uncertain what you all meant by 'hue' and 'saturation' (yeah, I'm a noob), but then I realised it's the other two sliders in the HSL tab of graphics gale.  Durr...?

So I've started playing around with those, and yeah, what a difference.

@thedaemon: Who knew such a small change would make such a difference!

@green:  Kiss Wow.

ink.inc
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:58:11 PM »

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Use this.
namre
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »

Wow this got kinda out of hand. I guess I liked doing these.

As you can see in my "revamp", enough contrast and hue shifts help this image a lot.
As for the "player sprite" I think mixing in some neutral or complementary colors will make it pop. This way you can keep the laser/light thingies vibrant.
Addicted
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:33:17 AM »

Ooh, shiny! Smiley

Thanks a lot. I've actually been doing some more work this weekend taking all the advice here to heart. I'll be sure to post some updated sprites this week.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the improvement.

and sorry..
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »

and sorry..

Why are you apologising, those look fantastic! I hope to one day be half as skilled  Hand Thumbs Up Left  Gentleman

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 11:25:03 PM »

and sorry..

Why are you apologising, those look fantastic! I hope to one day be half as skilled  Hand Thumbs Up Left  Gentleman
Good! Now study this, see the difference in your sprites? these use color for shading a face, or a larger part of the shape. With pixels you can't really detail each pixel for a different part, you group things.

Green: Nice work! I'm glad you did it, I was afraid to. Smiley
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 12:13:35 AM »

Good! Now study this, see the difference in your sprites? these use color for shading a face, or a larger part of the shape. With pixels you can't really detail each pixel for a different part, you group things.

Green: Nice work! I'm glad you did it, I was afraid to. Smiley

Why were you afraid to?

Quote from: Derek - In the Workshop Rules Thread
1. It is understood that if you post artwork here, it is being made available for critique and feedback, including edits of the art.

(snip...)

4. On the other hand, getting overly defensive over your artwork when people are being perfectly constructive is also not acceptable. You are here first and foremost to improve.

By all means, I appreciate all feedback, and edits are a great way to illustrate the explanations you give. The reason I posted here is because I know I'm a noob, and there are many amazingly talented artists with tons of practice in something I want to become better. I'm grateful for the explanations, feedback, and encouragement. Don't feel you have to go easy on me, I'm a big boy now. Smiley

namre
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »

BTW, Destral. What is your influence on the ship's designs? They're really cool. Kinda reminds me of a mix between transformers and ancient Incan Totem heads.
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:23 AM »

...a mix between transformers and ancient Incan Totem heads.

That just about sums it up. I wanted something that felt mechanical but with an ancient statue or stonework kinda vibe. I guess I should write down the setting for this at some point.

But yeah, think 'Ancient God statues meet giant futuristic engines of destruction'.

namre
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »

...a mix between transformers and ancient Incan Totem heads.

That just about sums it up. I wanted something that felt mechanical but with an ancient statue or stonework kinda vibe. I guess I should write down the setting for this at some point.

But yeah, think 'Ancient God statues meet giant futuristic engines of destruction'.
Lol. It's a weird combinations but it's awesome.
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »

Before:

After:

Been working at this pretty hard all week, among other assets for Powernoughts. While some of that 'stone effigy' feel has been lost, I definitely feel that all the feedback gave me a significant boost to exp gained. :D

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »

Miles better!  My only crit now is the floor traps should have a lighter border.  Like the same shade of middle-gray that's used for detail inside.

hi
Kramlack
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »

I tried not to edit yours much. Starting from left to right, the first being yours, the 2nd being some lines drawn for where I changed certain aspects, the third is the final result and the fourth is just some further tinkering I did (changing the colours, adding a bit of depth, etc).

I took the lines off the sides of the caution lines because I assumed it was painted on, and that in real life, you wouldn't have a black outline(?), so that's the reasoning behind why those vanished. As for the shading changes, it's mostly just a more realistic approach, where the dark spot is the imprint of the screw, and the light shading below it shows off that it was pushed inwards. In my final version, I changed the colours to hue shift from light blue -> gray, just to give it a bit of flare.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too confusing, but I think you'll be able to get the idea from just checking out the images at x2.

EDIT: I just wanted to say that the new version of your stage looks much better than it did before, congratulations on that.
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 07:43:56 AM »

@J. R. Hill: Thanks! Smiley

@Kramlack: Yeah, yours looks a fair bit sharper. I'll have to go back and tweak those, probably sooner rather than later. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic