Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:50:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 210049 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1300 on: October 24, 2014, 05:10:50 AM »

It looks amazing!!! what language did you use ?  Wink

Ironically, rather damp timber.

Apologies for being offtopic, overall feeling was akin to a coding sprint TBH

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 24, 2014, 06:32:55 AM »

I did the same with a sofa this Wednesday.

The instructions assumed two people but I did it myself. Feeling quite dexterous.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 24, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »

in-game sprite collision editor. boot up game with shift held down to access. arrow keys change tiling size, and collision types are along the right. also features useless eye candy like fading and blinking collisions on mouseover, etc. saves to an INI which is loaded by the game to do collision mapping of the level on initialization. at the moment, I chose tilesets by an open prompt, which is not ideal. eventually I'll have a list of all collision-worthy tilesets on the left.

may be simple for a lot of people, but I'm damn proud of it.  Smiley  if I were a smarter person, I'd do it so that I simply have to pause in-game to see and edit collisions. like clicking on a single tile while paused would edit the collision on all instances of that tile, then unpause. but I am not that smart (I'm a monkey an artist who can program, not a real programmer.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:23:49 PM by muki » Logged
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 24, 2015, 01:27:21 AM »

Playing with Lua and the experience has been a pleasure. I havent run into any snags yet.

I've been googling the merits of possibly using lua as a data store rather than xml/json/yaml. In my case allowing the data to co-exist with logic would be a good thing (fighting game engine)

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 27, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »

Programmed code for swinging on a rope in Game Maker.  Might make a grappling hook game out of it.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Uncle Scotty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1305 on: January 29, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »

1st-person turn-based movement prototype in Unity for a maze game or RPG like the old Might and Magic series or Eye of the Beholder. Came up with a simple way to do movement based on a physics check if a collider exists. I haven't had much luck finding an elegant solution for this online for Unity. Most suggestions involve creating a grid layout, which is a great approach if you plan to use procedural generation or pathfinding, but is a bit complicated if you want to create scenes by hand in Unity and are ok with just scripting enemy behavior. The code for my solution is posted in a thread on the Unity forums: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/first-person-grid-based-movement.46754/#post-1483892

magoghm
Level 0

Almost 40 years of fooling around with computers

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: January 29, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »

I'm working on the prototype for a tactical RPG.

As we intend to use a grid of squares for the playing area, I wrote a first version using an array to represent the battle area, then I realized that maybe I would need to store information  about other stuff (such as walls between adjacent grid cells). After thinking about it for a few days I decided that it would be better to store the information about the battlefield as a graph (vertices joined by arcs), and then I would have a more flexible framework to test different gameplay ideas. So, right know I am in the process of rewriting the code to use a graph instead of an array.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1307 on: January 29, 2015, 12:22:57 PM »

well i just ported javascript a* pathfinding to PHP, so there's that, yay

http://buildnewgames.com/astar/

i feel like i've accomplished something

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:48:42 PM by davidp » Logged

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1308 on: January 29, 2015, 05:39:11 PM »

Playing around with 2D Joints, fat ones. Debating about whether or not I should learn Haxe.

Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 01, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »

I'm also thinking whether to learn haxe, or follow along with the handmade hero videos, or both :D
Right now, I'm using stencyl, and you can do cool things with it, but you have less ownership over your work than if you just program everything yourself.
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1310 on: February 02, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »

True, but with Stencyl, you can code from scratch if you want to; so unless you have the desire to build your own game engine, it seems like the best option.  Kinda wish there was a good Haxe 3 book available; can't seem to find anything other than the manual.

jechadwell99
« Reply #1311 on: February 03, 2015, 04:01:15 AM »

Haxe is always worth learning. I'm using it right now as a way to use cool things like flixel without using actionscript. Here's what I'm doing now with it at the moment (right now!).

Yeah, it all needs some work.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 03, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »

Added a polygon class to my engine Karhu and added support for polygonical collision masks (using Box2D underlyingly) so that the fins of the submarine in my game Vatnsmyrkr (codeveloped with the engine) now have collision too~

Only problem ATM is that the sprite is mirrored within a certain angular range and I haven't updated the masks to reflect this yet, but that's easily done – support for erasing and adding new masks on the go was added few days ago, and I might as well improve upon the system in my wrapper and just have that sort of stuff automatically done under the hood if one changes the position of the collider.

The debug bounding boxes surrounding these masks are, ironically, a bit buggy. I'll fix that at some point. Not too important right now.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 07, 2015, 04:41:42 AM »

Been working exclusively on my submarine game lately, and a lot, so before going to bed yesterday my girlfriend and I decided we should give some attention to our game as well.

Lying in bed, I got an idea for how I could make the buggy slopes work properly and so I got up about three hours earlier than her this morning and started implementing it and it was presentable by the time she woke up just an hour ago now, and I've been tinkering a bit more with it.

It's slightly buggy still, especially when walking slow, but fast movement is perfect now, so with a little tweaking it'll be just fine!

The problem with my old system was that I was trying to do it without the physics engine whereas the regular movement is done with it. People had recommended that. Never got it working very well tho. So I came up with an idea on how to actually pull it off with physics.

First off I changed the cat's collider to a circle instead of the polygon I'd been using before, so that physics would be able to smoothly slide it up and down slopes. Movement on flat floor remained identical after this change, so that was a good start. Then I simply faked it all by making the cat move slower when moving down a slope and faster when moving up (since the physics engine is making her slide down, working against her own speed), and by constantly resetting the position when the player isn't pressing any arrow keys / gamepad controller stick.

Wonderful! I also fixed various little issues like the cat being able to move against a wall in mid-air and stay there instead of falling down (by checking the collision normal as well as the cat's vertical position relative to that of the collided solid) and some other stuff.

-----

BTW, does anyone know how to map gamepads to a Unity game (which this is) with generic names rather than button numbers (since the X button on a PS3 controller doesn't have the same number as an Xbox 360 controller's A button, for example), much like SDL 2 does it for you, so that both gamepads will work the same without me having to manually check the gamepad and hard-code mappings? If even SDL 2 can do it, surely Unity must be able to, at least through an add-on?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:00:13 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Gudgurkan
« Reply #1314 on: February 07, 2015, 05:52:30 AM »

Learning GBA programming because why not? Cool
My current progress is displaying an image on the screen.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 07, 2015, 05:54:39 AM »

Det heter gudsgurka eller gudagurka på riktiga dialekter, hör du. :''(((

That's cool, anyhow. What are the technical details? Like, language, compiler, available frameworks, how low or high level it is, any IDE and so on?

Gudgurkan
« Reply #1316 on: February 07, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »

Det heter gudsgurka eller gudagurka på riktiga dialekter, hör du. :''(((

That's cool, anyhow. What are the technical details? Like, language, compiler, available frameworks, how low or high level it is, any IDE and so on?

Eller Gydgjyurkan på östgötska, kärt barn har många namn Wink

I'm writing this in C++ and compiling it using devkitPRO. It's very low level and does a lot of pointer magic but I'm following a couple of tutorials that explain it pretty good. I think there exists some kind of IDE but I'm using sublime text.
serigalaamatir
Level 0

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1317 on: February 13, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »

I am now designing and programming some visual effects and special shot for my-artsy-defense-ish genre-game. Still need to learn Unity2D's nice features a lot. Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Jadilah amatir.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 09, 2016, 10:40:13 AM »

Entered the gbjam5

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: October 11, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »

Entered the gbjam5

You're using five colors. Waaagh!

The character's eyes and the bottom text are black instead of dark green. I figured maybe the text was just placeholder, but I wasn't so sure about the eyes.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic