Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1390741 Posts in 66779 Topics- by 59513 Members - Latest Member: besteffortgames

April 12, 2021, 04:33:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 170936 times)
fláráðr ljós
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 08, 2021, 07:46:35 AM »

Spent a week ripping out the FBX SDK from my art pipeline and writing a Blender exporter script that writes directly in the binary format used by the game. Absolutely nothing changed visually but exports are no longer choking on large (over 1 million poly) meshes and it's one less external dependency with code outside my control.
ThemsAllTook
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1401 on: April 08, 2021, 08:54:43 AM »

Neat! I wrote an export script like that a while back, but it broke in Blender 2.80. Performance wasn't great in my case for objects of a lot less than a million faces... Were you able to get the Python API to handle that much data in a reasonable amount of time, or did you find some other route that lets you work in a more efficient language?

fláráðr ljós
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 08, 2021, 09:33:18 AM »

The naive implementation is reasonably fast. I'm looping through all the vertices, appending their binary representation (8 floats, consisting of their position, normal and UV coordinates) to a bytearray and then writing that into the file. If it's a skinned mesh, each vertex will additionally contain 4 bone weights and indices. It's actually slower to export animations than it is to export hipoly meshes. It's still reasonably fast for my current use case, i.e. it takes a couple of seconds to export a total of 372 animation frames of 72 bones across 10 different animations, but it feels like that's slower than it should be. In any case, I'm sure it's faster than any of the built-in exporters.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic