Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:38:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 210060 times)
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 29, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »

Testing out sdlbasic because I want to try out something different then c++ just for the fun.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #881 on: March 29, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »

A little proof of concept demo for a basic FOV algorithm. Interactive Version at JSBin

t-recx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 29, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »

A gui framework for XNA:

xapa112
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 30, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »

I'm learning Python, so i'm making some basic sripts.
Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 30, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »

A gui framework for XNA

Those are some nice-looking controls.
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: March 31, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »

Encapsulated my framerate-limiting code into a Throttle class.
Code:
Throttle throt(33);
while(myGame.isRunning())
{
    auto deltaMs = throt.wait();
    myGame.doSomething(deltaMs); // will run no more often than every 33ms
}

Makes use of my Stopwatch class which makes use of C++11's std::chrono.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #886 on: March 31, 2013, 05:06:49 AM »

Beware if you compile with MSVC, the granularity of std::chrono is very bad and will be in the next version too. Source: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/719443/

I've hit some time precision problems because of this recently. The simplest solution is to use boost::chrono instead as it is very precise, but it forces you to use boost::thread instead of std::thread if you are using timing facilities like std::condition_variable or std::this_thread::sleep_for/until().

Just know that current std::chrono implementaitons are not yet all equivalent. Unfortunately I think it will be true until next year  Tired

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 31, 2013, 05:57:48 AM »

A gui framework for XNA:

damn you really went all the way on that +D

nice work!

Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 31, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »

Beware if you compile with MSVC, the granularity of std::chrono is very bad and will be in the next version too. Source: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/719443/

I've hit some time precision problems because of this recently. The simplest solution is to use boost::chrono instead as it is very precise, but it forces you to use boost::thread instead of std::thread if you are using timing facilities like std::condition_variable or std::this_thread::sleep_for/until().

Just know that current std::chrono implementaitons are not yet all equivalent. Unfortunately I think it will be true until next year  Tired
Nope, I'm using GCC on all platforms and it's plenty accurate. But that might be a problem, because I was wanting to package up my various helper classes and release them as "handylib". I don't want to use boost so that leaves me rolling my own cross-platform timing system if I want it to be MSVC-compatible. I'll see.

My current version of GCC for windows doesn't support std::thread, so I've rolled my own crude threading wrapper for Windows and eventually POSIX. It leaves much to be desired- in particular, you can't yet pass an arbitrary thread function (must be void(void)). I don't intend to use it for much except animated loading screens, though.
t-recx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 31, 2013, 06:16:23 AM »

Those are some nice-looking controls.

damn you really went all the way on that +D

nice work!

I'm keeping a repository here if someone happens to need it. It's completely undocumented at the moment tho.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #890 on: March 31, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »

Nope, I'm using GCC on all platforms and it's plenty accurate. But that might be a problem, because I was wanting to package up my various helper classes and release them as "handylib". I don't want to use boost so that leaves me rolling my own cross-platform timing system if I want it to be MSVC-compatible. I'll see.

If you do this, you would only have to write a clock like std::chrono::high_performance_clock yourself and still use std::chrono for the rest.

My current version of GCC for windows doesn't support std::thread, so I've rolled my own crude threading wrapper for Windows and eventually POSIX. It leaves much to be desired- in particular, you can't yet pass an arbitrary thread function (must be void(void)). I don't intend to use it for much except animated loading screens, though.

Yeah if you just spawn a thread at some point and it's not the basic way your system work, it's ok to not use std/boost::thread or anything else.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 31, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »

Testing out sdlbasic because I want to try out something different then c++ just for the fun.

Ooh! I've used to use it years ago for PSP development Tongue
Didn't go far, though as I spotted the interpreter is slow as hell.

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 31, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »

Working on a platformer game for android.
Off topic, I really want to learn C++ game development as most of the game development jobs require fluency in C++. So where to start?

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #893 on: March 31, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »

I really want to learn C++ game development as most of the game development jobs require fluency in C++. So where to start?
A four year computer science degree will put you well on your way. (make sure the school uses C++ in its coursework)

Also, this: Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

Some books to read: Stroustrup, more Stroustrup, Effective C++, More Effective C++, Code Complete, Game Coding Complete, Gang of Four, Refactoring, and Knuth

that's a list of the biggies. there are many many others you could read, but you probably want to reach your goal within this lifetime.

Also, probably one or two books on game engine programming. if there's a particular specialization you're interested in (AI, graphics, animation, etc), obviously that's what you'll want to focus on, but it's always good to read broadly.

so, lots of big thick books.

also, write lots and lots of C++ code. practice, practice, practice.

learning to program is like learning a martial art. it takes years if not decades to really gain a true mastery, although you might be fooled into thinking otherwise from seemingly rapid initial progress. start with fundamentals - get the core C++ stuff down pat while working with existing libraries and engines - libSDL is great for this, then eventually get into writing your own engine stuff.

when you can write your own game from the ground up from scratch (and probably have a few self-developed games under your belt by this time), i'm sure you'll have a pretty nice resume to hand to a AAA company at the GDC career fair, along with a few cool demos.

(mod: feel free to fork this)

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Twinklebear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 01, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »

After reading a blog on working with C++11 tuples I got curious about using them and variadic templates to generate Lua bindings. It's sort of coming along but I'm still stuck on a few things, currently I must define a wrapper function that gets the arguments from Lua, calls the function and then pushes a result back since I'm still working on figuring out how to generate this wrapper function in a way that can be handed off to Lua.

The code I've got so far is this Gist if anyone's curious. I'll probably go bug the folks at the Lua IRC for some tips at some point heh.
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 01, 2013, 01:01:56 AM »

I really want to learn C++ game development as most of the game development jobs require fluency in C++. So where to start?
A four year computer science degree will put you well on your way. (make sure the school uses C++ in its coursework)

Also, this: Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

Some books to read: Stroustrup, more Stroustrup, Effective C++, More Effective C++, Code Complete, Game Coding Complete, Gang of Four, Refactoring, and Knuth

that's a list of the biggies. there are many many others you could read, but you probably want to reach your goal within this lifetime.

Also, probably one or two books on game engine programming. if there's a particular specialization you're interested in (AI, graphics, animation, etc), obviously that's what you'll want to focus on, but it's always good to read broadly.

so, lots of big thick books.

also, write lots and lots of C++ code. practice, practice, practice.

learning to program is like learning a martial art. it takes years if not decades to really gain a true mastery, although you might be fooled into thinking otherwise from seemingly rapid initial progress. start with fundamentals - get the core C++ stuff down pat while working with existing libraries and engines - libSDL is great for this, then eventually get into writing your own engine stuff.

when you can write your own game from the ground up from scratch (and probably have a few self-developed games under your belt by this time), i'm sure you'll have a pretty nice resume to hand to a AAA company at the GDC career fair, along with a few cool demos.

(mod: feel free to fork this)

Well I just completed my 4 years computer science degree. I studied C++ in first three semesters and after that switched to java(which i regret now), I have done OOP and Data structures in C++ but have never tried any graphical or game programming in C++ though I have done that in Java and AS3. Is it fine to start off with a C++ game programming book then?

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #896 on: April 01, 2013, 02:54:00 AM »

I'd start with Code Complete then. It's not at all specific to game development, but still entirely relevant to any software engineering endeavor (which is a good thing). Game Coding Complete will complement that a bit with some more game dev specific things.

Also, make a simple game or five in C++, start to finish. That's probably going to be the best way to really learn how to do game programming in any language. Check out SDL and SFML. Gamedev.net has loads of articles and tutorials for free.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #897 on: April 01, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »

So many schools are pushing C# and Java now, where we had to manually request C++, it's something only for computer engineers and mechanical engineers.

I'm not sure what's going on nowadays, state level universities still push C++, technical universities seem to be pushing Microsoft and Sun Microsystems.

And then my overseas family members are learning other languages like Pascal an Ada, not even touching Java or C#

(And this is what I'm programming Smiley

)

Loose 2D Skeletal animation in C# ^

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #898 on: April 01, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »

Just a few minutes ago I was programming this basic NPC:

Which is in this running-update demo kind of game I'm doing.

George Michaels
Level 0

I like big butts and I can not lie

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 02, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

Still working on implementing multiplayer. Just finished my third rewrite!

I had a bug where Player 1 would join properly, but Player 2 would fail to get the level & gamemode info. The way I'd written the connection code was to broadcast Player 2's connection to everyone and then spam connect packets back to Player 2 for everyone else on the server. Found out that ENet was giving me packets out of order, making Player 2 process the Player 1 connect packet (which is just an ID) before processing it's own connect packet (which contains all the necessary info)..

It's fixed now, so I can finally get back to work writing position and action packets Smiley

Yeah, that.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic