Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:28:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationApples and Oranges [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Apples and Oranges [FINISHED]  (Read 17719 times)
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 08:37:09 PM »

Interesting, yet infuriating. Wink

The graphics and sounds seem to match the game well.

I found letters to be impossible the first few times around, and there were a few matches that I kept trying to do.  For example, I'd almost invariably try matching tomatoes with fruits, and wrapped candies with other C things, but eventually I got used to it.

I like that you provide tooltips on mouse-over to show what each icon represents, but at the moment the initial learning curve seems kind of steep.  Still, once I learned what each of the icons was, I had quite a bit of fun. Smiley

Hey cool, thanks!  It is definitely tough to get started.  That's partly why I have the four modes (with one being just a sandbox essentially).

I forgot to mention that I decided to categorize tomatoes as vegetables.  I waffled pretty heavily there, but decided that might be slightly less confusing to most people (even if it is technically wrong).  I think I'll switch it back, though....

Thanks again!
--Zack
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 02:17:45 AM »

I forgot to mention that I decided to categorize tomatoes as vegetables.  I waffled pretty heavily there, but decided that might be slightly less confusing to most people (even if it is technically wrong).

I thought the definition of 'vegetable' wasn't necessarily exclusive of the definition of 'fruit'? I'd call tomatoes both. ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 05:23:58 AM »

Tomatoes are legally vegetables anyway :D

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 06:18:56 AM »

This one is a lot of fun... kind of a mind bender, even.  I keep making matches without even meaning to.
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 08:18:22 AM »

I forgot to mention that I decided to categorize tomatoes as vegetables.  I waffled pretty heavily there, but decided that might be slightly less confusing to most people (even if it is technically wrong).

I thought the definition of 'vegetable' wasn't necessarily exclusive of the definition of 'fruit'? I'd call tomatoes both. ;-)

Actually that's a great idea.  I allow items to have multiple of the same property (for example a bee matches Black and Yellow and the candycorn matches Halloween and Sweets).  I think I'll do that and then everybody will be right!  Is it a fruit?  It sure is!  How about a vegetable?  Why not!

Of course I shouldn't make changes to it now (at least not in this thread) for fairness.  I do intend to keep working on it a bit after the competition though.

Thanks for the feedback!
--Zack
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

I was pleased by the gameplay of Apples and Oranges for a while...

But at some point, I just wanted to get into flow in it, but failed. I think I wanted to match stuff using intuition more than logical thought. Tried to group together completely different animals.

Maybe doing that would be nice: you group stuff by whatever criteria makes sense...

Anyway, thanks zradick!

Daniel.
Ludomancy
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »

Thanks for giving it a shot.
Matching by color is intuitive and if you switch your mindset to matching by type, that can be relatively intuitive as well, but doing it by letters is just hard.  I was hoping it would feel more organic after a bit, but I agree that it just continues to be difficult (even when you made the damn thing).  It helps me to say the names of the things out-loud, but it definitely sounds silly: "Pig"...  "Pig"...  "Pineapple"!
Cheers,
--Zack
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »

Great game! Addictive, easy to pick up, lots of modes and getting those starting letter tile is tricky! (in a good way) Great job zradick! Beer!

Current devlog: Infinite Puzzles.
Competition entries: Wall of the Words.
twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »

Wow, this game is pretty clever and quite simple but really addictive... I kept trying to find all kinds of different combinations. The common letters combos are hard for me to think about. Nice job!
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement.  I enjoyed putting together the framework and doing the pixel art.  It still leaves quite a bit to be desired, but I appreciate the feedback.
Thanks,
--Zack
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic