Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:40:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738235 times)
increpare
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »

When I started my current project, (which I decided) I figured I could get by storing the various graphs and trees I was interested in in adjacency matrices, but I'm starting to get a bit irritated with having to refer to pretty much every little thing as something as manifestly exhibiting of redundancy as

word[ROOM_OBJECT_DESCRIPTION[items[rooms[houses[house].room[f]].item[g]].description]]   

Lips Sealed

Hopefully I'll be able to go on without having to recode everything, but gosh it's annoying.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 02:57:24 PM by increpare » Logged
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:54:23 AM »

It seems that you need to read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Demeter

increpare
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:23:50 AM »

It seems that you need to read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Demeter
Roll Eyes
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 08:28:33 AM »

It seems you're grumpy  Smiley

increpare
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 04:35:59 PM »

AAAAH, so I spent a good one-and-a-half days fixing what I thought was a silly bug in part of the rotation code of the engine I'm working on.

So, this evening I sit down to write a clipping algorithm, but it was doing really weird things and I couldn't get it to work.  It turns out the angle function I was using was wrong and that, somehow, it hadn't messed things up too much until now.  And, it's not looking like it's going to be too easy to fix either, going to take a couple of hours anyway probably   Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
Zaphos
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:01:35 PM »

What does an 'angle function' do?  atan2?
increpare
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:57:41 AM »

What does an 'angle function' do?  atan2?
It should have given the clockwise angle between the (1,0) vector and a given vector.  So I had somethign like atan2, only I did something really weird to correct the angle, instead of returning 180-atan2 if y<0.

Edit: OOPS, I had no idea that atan2 did that (I was using acos I think in my original implementation. Gosh.  Should really use that instead for the time being.  This is almost as bad as spending a couple of years with PHP before learning of the stripslash function ...

So: thanks!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:02:41 AM by increpare » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:46:27 AM »

fuck everything. especially sony's psp memory stick library programmers. fuck them good.

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:47:55 PM »

I hate the warnings in gcc that tell me I don't have an extra newline at the end of my documents.

I hate how SDL does weird magic for your main function and how it reroutes your stdout to a text file instead of the console.

I hate having to use the win32 api, it consistently defines constants and functions with names that I would like to use in my programs.

I hate wxWidgets, I wish there was something better that wasn't so darn huge.

Angry
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »

I hate how SDL does weird magic for your main function and how it reroutes your stdout to a text file instead of the console.

You can disable the stdout redirect.  (There's a configure option.  You need to compile SDL from source, but the main part is statically linked so you can still use an official dll for dist.)

I hate having to use the win32 api, it consistently defines constants and functions with names that I would like to use in my programs.

X is worse.  It also defines macros with commonly used names.  You're in for a fun time when it starts renaming your stuff.
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »

You can disable the stdout redirect.  (There's a configure option.  You need to compile SDL from source, but the main part is statically linked so you can still use an official dll for dist.)

Bollocks, compiling the library myself with a define of NO_STDIO_REDIRECT to gain back functionality the library strips away is plain hogwash, good sir. The designers did indeed make some less than satisfactory decisions. Gentleman

I agree on Xlib, probably the worst library ever, so confusing.
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 10:00:11 AM »

Hello, I'm Gravious, I'm 31, a programmer and I'm grumpy.

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »

I'm hungover.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »

"expected `;' before '(' token "

Tired

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 03:59:24 AM »

"Unexpected Indent"
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 04:36:33 AM »

I'm grumpy that so many good games have been released lately. Maybe now that the summer is upon us, I can get some work done again.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »

Tracking down a missing semicolon in a header file = annoying.

Having to have that semicolon there in the first place (at the end of a class definition) is stupid anyway.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »

This guy is grumpy, and I love code folding.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001147.html

increpare
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

Having to have that semicolon there in the first place (at the end of a class definition) is stupid anyway.
verily

This guy is grumpy, and I love code folding.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001147.html
I don't like cold-folding. It stresses me out.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »

I've liked code folding sometimes, but only to hide functions that I don't care about right now (eg. if there's a huge friggin' file and I'm sick of scrolling ten pages down every time I open it to get at the one bit I need).  Probably I could get around this with another technique, like quick searching in a hardcore editor (vim / emacs).

Folding out subsections of a single function/method is frickin' bizarre and would totally make me grumpy.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic