Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411840 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 07:09:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 741680 times)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: October 20, 2012, 08:06:13 AM »

VSC# 2010 is a surprisingly nice IDE but Expression Blend is a fucking piece of shit... Why can't I simply remove the circle from radiobutton? Why can't I simply change the colors for all the button states (normal, clicked, hover...)?
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3641 on: October 23, 2012, 07:09:24 AM »

Facebutting the wall, still trying to get my (GM8) levelgen code to function properly. After two months.

I know the steps I'm taking, and the order they SHOULD be taken in. I've tried messing around with object's phases, like "Create," "Game Start," and "Room Start." For the life of me, I do not know why I can't get this simple sequence of levelgen steps to execute correctly!

Lips Sealed

I would love to carelessly press forward from here, but this is like, the foundational backdrop for half of my freaking projects, here. Incredibly simple stuff, too!!

Facepalm Being stuck at an early/simple place like this makes me feel like a complete idiot.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:15:08 AM by baconman » Logged

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3642 on: October 23, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »

Do you have a tilemap you can set/get tiles in? That's generally the simplest way to go about level generation, because you can either have every room as a separate tilemap (like in GBC zelda games), or subdivide the tilemap into rooms (like spelunky does).

There's also the option of just sticking with hand-made levels. It's easier, it gets better results in the short term, and you can sell smaller games to have the money (-> the time) to make bigger games. My 2c.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: October 23, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »

Forgot how little a fan I am when it comes to using Java. I'm fine with it but sometimes the way to do things with the API is annoying.

anyways, writing a OBJ file importer

B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3644 on: October 24, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »

Using Monodevelop with Unity. I have auto-formatting on. Works fine on my desktop, and used to work fine on my laptop, but tonight whenever I close a brace on an if() statement, the brace doesn't show up and the first character in the statement of the if() gets deleted. Pressing the close brace button again will delete another character.

:boggle:

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: October 24, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »

oh everything that doesn't come in the latest android version is deprecated even though the recommended methods don't work with half the devices and the new methods is 2-10 times the learning curve the old ones. but it's GOOD PRACTICE
RedKnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: October 25, 2012, 04:27:33 AM »

oh everything that doesn't come in the latest android version is deprecated even though the recommended methods don't work with half the devices and the new methods is 2-10 times the learning curve the old ones. but it's GOOD PRACTICE

care to share what's deprecated?
since I only concentrate on 4.0/4.1 I hope it doesn't change too much of how things work
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3647 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:34 AM »

Do you have a tilemap you can set/get tiles in? That's generally the simplest way to go about level generation, because you can either have every room as a separate tilemap (like in GBC zelda games), or subdivide the tilemap into rooms (like spelunky does).

There's also the option of just sticking with hand-made levels. It's easier, it gets better results in the short term, and you can sell smaller games to have the money (-> the time) to make bigger games. My 2c.

It tries to do the rooms thing like Spelunky does. But maybe you're right, it might just come down to handcoding all of the levels, and then just randomizing certain elements of them where I safely can. Kind of disappointing, because that ProcGen part is one of the things I was hoping to learn about doing the most...

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3648 on: October 25, 2012, 07:22:08 AM »

Good god, lack of documentation and silliness...

I was trying to draw only part of the indices in my GLES2 draw call.
The thing is glDrawElements gets number of indices as just the amount of indices, but the offset in bytes. So I had to multiply the offset by 2(my indices are short) and it fixed it. :/

Good god, that was an annoying bug. I blame the lack of proper documentation...

Master of all trades.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3649 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:40 AM »

Good god, lack of documentation and silliness...

I was trying to draw only part of the indices in my GLES2 draw call.
The thing is glDrawElements gets number of indices as just the amount of indices, but the offset in bytes. So I had to multiply the offset by 2(my indices are short) and it fixed it. :/

Good god, that was an annoying bug. I blame the lack of proper documentation...

Hah, I've run into that exact same problem myself. OpenGL documentation is usually pretty good, but occasionally something weird like this just doesn't get explained properly.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3650 on: October 25, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

Well it was more confusing because I am using the Java version of GLES2, which makes it even more confusing you need to pass bytes and not instances.

Master of all trades.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: October 25, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »

care to share what's deprecated?
since I only concentrate on 4.0/4.1 I hope it doesn't change too much of how things work

Was annoyed with something they did with the notifications. And earlier with turning dialogs into dialog fragments, which introduced a hell lot more work. It's become common practice to just ignore deprecation notices, go through with stuff, and make a new app if it ever breaks. Like I can see why some stuff is better practice, but it is incredibly annoying to go through a tutorial or re-use an old module, to find out that it's deprecated.

Though you should probably focus on some of the older versions, at least 2.3 and above. It's the OS of choice for low budget phones, and a lot of hardcore early adopters like myself still have an old phone.
st33d
« Reply #3652 on: October 26, 2012, 06:57:28 AM »

Today I am not a programmer. Today I am the marketing department. Today I email every goddamned flash portal in the known universe.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugghhhh, so boring.

(This is after spending the last two days writing an article for Gamasutra about marketing as well - I don't know how people do this for a full time job.)
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3653 on: October 26, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »

(This is after spending the last two days writing an article for Gamasutra about marketing as well - I don't know how people do this for a full time job.)

Neat, I'd be interested in reading that once it's published.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »

Today I am not a programmer. Today I am the marketing department. Today I email every goddamned flash portal in the known universe.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugghhhh, so boring.

You have to relate to the person, and think, "this is the best way to get my game out there." Then any problem becomes meaningful.
st33d
« Reply #3655 on: October 26, 2012, 07:15:07 AM »

I'll link it up in the Greenlight Announced thread if it's accepted. It's all about how we used Flash game portals in our Steam Greenlight campaign.

My first draft was mostly a scathing criticism of how fucking useless the Author Stats on Greenlight are for conducting a marketing campaign. You're basically shooting blind. There's no time/value graph to compare to the pushes you're making. Even bloody Desura gives you a crappy little graph that's far more useful.

I spent ages rewriting it into more of a guide to following our strategy - which seems to have helped our footing. But yeah, those stats make it really hard to gauge success.
st33d
« Reply #3656 on: October 26, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »

Oh god. I'm only halfway through the list.

Cry
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: October 26, 2012, 07:52:47 AM »

They really give you 0 stats? That's unreal, and unlike steam.
st33d
« Reply #3658 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:39 AM »

You get one powerbar comparing you to the top 100, and some powerbars for each day of the week comparing the votes you've received to the top 100.

Both of which mean nothing. The top 100 votes could be anything. It's like adding a parameter that you can never know, you've no idea how steep the curve is, if there is a curve. And why powerbars? I'm not gaming here, I'm trying to direct web traffic and user behaviour.

It tells you visitors and favourites. Why not graph that? Am I supposed to login every fucking day and draw my own chart? How the fuck am I supposed to take this system seriously? How am I supposed to understand how my actions marketing the game affect its chances of getting on Steam? We need more information, otherwise what's the fucking point? You might as well do what half the people on Greenlight have done, submit your game and forget all about it.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: October 26, 2012, 08:12:52 AM »

Yeah that doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe they see it as a way to "coach" newbies. XNA has that philosophy, and it's not well thought through. These services should appeal to near-professionals, or low-budget pros, the guys right below standard publishing.

You can write a script that checks in every day. I would do that. Can you put a link to your site on the Greenlight? There will be a high correlation with people who follow that link and how votes are trending. It's not perfect but it is something.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic