Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:16:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 739023 times)
impulse9
« Reply #3720 on: November 11, 2012, 07:48:51 AM »

Collision detection against brushes in my BSP renderer work on my desktop, but not on my laptop.

I call this the Laptop paradox.

fucking polish is an endless task

Scrub, scrub.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: November 11, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »

oohh aah I've read that quote a few times, in this and another post somewhere.
and I always read it the naughty way.

cause it's such a big country.
0x1A
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: November 11, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »

I like to build Projects on CodeBlocks and then just write with Sublime Text.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: November 11, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »

oohh aah I've read that quote a few times, in this and another post somewhere.
and I always read it the naughty way.

cause it's such a big country.

that's why I like the term Smiley

and I can't really tell the difference between what's a hack in Android and what's a feature anymor. Use a TextView for images, perfectly normal! Use frames to create overlays, recommended by Google!(?)
xhunterko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: November 13, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »

Whoops wrong thread!

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: November 13, 2012, 11:41:42 AM »

why do people still use codeblocks
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »

Because
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: November 13, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »

... it's actually quite ok...
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: November 13, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »

I used to think it was okay until I learned about qt, visual studio, eclipse, and vim.

I just don't see any reason to use it over any of those, it's like the new dev c++.

I am grumpy about this because earier today some plebian compsci major in my physics department's break room chastized me for using visual studio over codeblocks because visual studio isnt open source. It blows my mind that he would shoot himself in the foot development-wise just for the sake of using open source software but i think it's just a facade for not having ever tried any other IDE.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: November 13, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

visual studio I agree with. I've never used the Qt IDE for anything but Qt projects.

still prefer codeblocks over eclipse

been slowly transitioning what I can to sublime text though. Like it more every day

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3730 on: November 13, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »

Eclipse is good for Java, not for C at all.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3731 on: November 13, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »

And so, in the end, turns out that our beautiful wheel-reinventing not-in-my-std custom string class (1750 locs), causes tons of memleaks when uses in "modern" ways such as in std.
I've refactored it in a thin wrapper around std::string now, but the rest of the codebase won't just get along with that, that would be too standard.
Cue hours of refactoring Screamy

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3732 on: November 13, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »

And so, in the end, turns out that our beautiful wheel-reinventing not-in-my-std custom string class (1750 locs), causes tons of memleaks when uses in "modern" ways such as in std.

wow, thats a chunky string class :D

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: November 13, 2012, 08:41:57 PM »

had a previous back injury from when I was working in masonry and construction flare up and I'm trying to find the perfect balance in my chair to focus on coding. Pain is brutal.

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »

why do people still use codeblocks

I find it a lot simpler to work with than any other IDEs for c/c++ including VS for when it comes to doing small things like the school projects I need to do right now. But VS definitely has its place, I'm not knocking it

Think happy thoughts.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: November 13, 2012, 11:28:35 PM »

Ugh, spent 3 hours on a bug, which was caused by making a typo of 'uses-permission' as 'user-permission'. XML's attitude of 'ignore it if you don't know it' made null pointers pop up everywhere.

Eclipse is good for Java, not for C at all.

Eh, idk, I worked on a C operating system with Eclipse… it's a lifesaver when stuff is all over the place. For small things, just stick to Notepad++. But I never did any massive C projects with anything other than Eclipse.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3736 on: November 14, 2012, 02:32:18 AM »

I find it a lot simpler to work with than any other IDEs for c/c++ including VS for when it comes to doing small things like the school projects I need to do right now. But VS definitely has its place, I'm not knocking it
Try using codelite instead. Less bloated/ugly/dated, same simplicity.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:59 AM »

Ugh, spent 3 hours on a bug, which was caused by making a typo of 'uses-permission' as 'user-permission'. XML's attitude of 'ignore it if you don't know it' made null pointers pop up everywhere.

Are you talking about typos in the XML file or in the code that was reading the XML content?

If you use XML schemas (like XSD or RELAX NG) you will at least be protected from typos in the XML file. If you use an editor with XML schema support (like Eclipse with the XML plugin) you'll get warnings for XML elements that don't comply with the schema. But be warned, writing schemas can be a pain.

edit: if your parser has schema support then you should also be protected when you try to read invalid content.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:50:07 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3738 on: November 14, 2012, 05:08:55 AM »

I had a bug in Eclipse where every new class I created would go in the wrong folder for days. Then I showed my Eclipse to my friend, and I never got the bug again.  Angry

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3739 on: November 15, 2012, 04:32:18 PM »

That's Eclipse for you :D I have a lot of issues too (some executed by the core developers and some bei plug-ins [the most famous the poor XML-display from the android plug-in]).
Every week eclipse fucks up my source by not display all methods and only a close and a reopen will display it correctly again.
But well, still better then [insert your hate IDE here] :D

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic