Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:00:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738231 times)
inverse42
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3780 on: December 21, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »

WPF:  WTF?

QuadrupleA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3781 on: December 21, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »

Windows API. That is all.

It made sense in the 80's Smiley

Weapon Hacker - roguelite metroidvania;
Battleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: December 21, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »

Why? You don't use Windows anylonger?

Durr...?

QuadrupleA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3783 on: December 21, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

Durr...?
The API. Its design made sense in the 80's.

Weapon Hacker - roguelite metroidvania;
Battleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: December 21, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »

Durr...?
The API. Its design made sense in the 80's.

Oh, you mean that Crazy
It never made sense to me, though.

I guess C# is our best bet for fully-windows graphical UI applications.

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: December 21, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »

Try programming windows applications in Assembly, I tried it when I was like 14. Never again.

Think happy thoughts.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3786 on: December 21, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »

The Win32 C API is convoluted, full of seemingly unnecessarily-large structs, CONSTANTSANDTYPENAMESTHATLOOKLIKETHIS, and a lot of other nonsense, but I'd have to say it does a pretty good job for itself otherwise. Every time I've had some task I wanted to accomplish, I was able to find a supported way to do it, with adequate documentation helping me figure out how. That's more than I can say for almost any other system API I've used, even if they're more aesthetically appealing than Win32.

impulse9
« Reply #3787 on: December 22, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »

<3
pixhead
« Reply #3788 on: December 23, 2012, 03:24:04 AM »

The Win32 C API is convoluted, full of seemingly unnecessarily-large structs, CONSTANTSANDTYPENAMESTHATLOOKLIKETHIS, and a lot of other nonsense, but I'd have to say it does a pretty good job for itself otherwise. Every time I've had some task I wanted to accomplish, I was able to find a supported way to do it, with adequate documentation helping me figure out how. That's more than I can say for almost any other system API I've used, even if they're more aesthetically appealing than Win32.

Apparently this.

Everywhere I go online, I see a similar response. That the API is terrifyingly complicated, but elegantly designed...

Programming in a nutshell basically.
pixhead
« Reply #3789 on: December 23, 2012, 04:03:56 AM »

SDL and OpenGL are jerking me around. For some reason, when I load bitmaps they are displaying a blue hue. I can't for the life of me find a solution online, they all use GL_BGR which isn't include in my opengl.h

Re-ding-dang-donculous Angry
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: December 23, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »

Crippling indecision, oh how I love thee.  Big Laff
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: December 23, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »

Just what flaming hoops does a man need to jump through in order to create a win32 cursor from an image in memory Undecided

also:
#define GL_BGR    0x80E0
#define GL_BGRA   0x80E1
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3792 on: December 23, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »

more like

#include "glew.h"

pixhead
« Reply #3793 on: December 23, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »

Just what flaming hoops does a man need to jump through in order to create a win32 cursor from an image in memory Undecided

also:
#define GL_BGR    0x80E0
#define GL_BGRA   0x80E1

Thanks for those! However, I found a way to convert the pixel format before I turn it into a texture. I'll stick with that, just cause I'm proud that I did it myself Tongue
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: December 24, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »

I have spend my entire evening trying to figure out how to move into the camera direction (yeah I'm new to 3D, matrices scare me).

I moved to untiy3D to try and see how it goes there, and I figured it out in 5 minutes.

Code:
Vector3 forward = gameObject.transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward);

if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.W))
{
gameObject.transform.position += forward;
}

Here is the code that I'm failing to get working, while it seems pretty identical to the unity code to me.

(as3)
Code:
var forward:Vector4 = camera.transform.transformVector(Vector4.FORWARD);
if (keyboardManager.keyIsDown(Keyboard.W))
{
//camera.transform.appendTranslation(forward.x / 100, 0, -forward.z / 100);
var newpos:Vector4 = camera.transform.getTranslation().incrementBy(forward.scaleBy(-0.01));
camera.transform.translationX = newpos.x;
camera.transform.translationZ = newpos.z;

}
(source for the matrix and vector4 classes can be found here :
https://github.com/aerys/minko/blob/master/src/aerys/minko/type/math/Matrix4x4.as
https://github.com/aerys/minko/blob/master/src/aerys/minko/type/math/Vector4.as
)

I know this might not be the best place to ask a question, but I think it's absolutely peanuts for every programmer that has any experience with 3D  Tears of Joy

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: December 24, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »

I have spend my entire evening trying to figure out how to move into the camera direction (yeah I'm new to 3D, matrices scare me).
Without you saying what kind of error you get, it's hard. You do move the minus sign around to different axes between the unity code, the commented line, and the rest but I suppose that's not what you mean. Wink
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: December 24, 2012, 06:24:09 PM »

Without you saying what kind of error you get, it's hard. You do move the minus sign around to different axes between the unity code, the commented line, and the rest but I suppose that's not what you mean. Wink
No that's just the result of endless experimenting haha.
Anyway, I just tried another engine (away3D) and noticed a "deltaTransformVector" function (as opposed to "transformVector" minus the delta. I have no idea what it does differently, but that did the trick.

I can't look into the code for "deltaTransformVector" since it's a part of as3's native API though. Any explanation would still be appreciated! :D

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3797 on: December 25, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »

"Delta" usually means change so it probably means the function is relative and not absolute if that helps.
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: December 25, 2012, 01:51:56 AM »

I hate C++ meta-programming.  Pure functional with zero bells or whistles or hell even a kazoo with the most awful syntax and even worse error reporting.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: December 26, 2012, 01:19:18 AM »

wtf is with android fragments? It's pretty much 2-3 times the work to do... almost nothing.

Not using fragments is like sweeping things under the carpet -- a lot of dirty hacks and c&p.

Using fragments is like installing little robots under every carpet that lift all your furniture and carry it away when you want to sweep the room.

It's technically a lot of shit to learn. It's kinda impressive when you show (the technical side) to people. It's 'best practice', because you make sure you get everything (at least until the shiny new stuff gets deprecated again).

But it's a crapload of work that nobody notices. And it falls apart if you change certain things. And it's not handicap friendly. It takes on an attitude of 'fuck old/poor people, they don't buy my app'.

It's like one of those things that's become accepted as industry standard but doesn't actually add anything aside from coolness factor of meeting industry standards and being able to throw around the jargon and get a five figure salary because nobody else knows how to do it.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic