Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:06:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738910 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3940 on: February 19, 2013, 11:27:25 PM »

what do you people do when you aren't working on any game and feel bored. what do you code?
stuffs like: a raytracer in lisp, generative art software, ascii-based paint programsaudio tools, procedural-sound-things, various libs, an abacus, .. mind you, nowadays its all just game stuff, i have no time to code other things that aren't games or tools for building games, but i'm not complaining
Smiley

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: February 20, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »

ugh, someone made a function called "edit_item", and another function called "item_edit". Wouldn't be so bad if this thing wasn't thousands of lines of code to sift through.

and dat "delete" function. it actually means something along the lines of "delete specific item header from model" but named as delete with no comments, so annoying.

also crap like "item_edit_temp_add", "add_item", "edit_add_item".

fml
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: February 20, 2013, 02:42:47 AM »

ugh, someone made a function called "edit_item", and another function called "item_edit". Wouldn't be so bad if this thing wasn't thousands of lines of code to sift through.

also crap like "item_edit_temp_add", "add_item", "edit_add_item".

fml

hahahaha nice

zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3943 on: February 20, 2013, 06:43:48 AM »

what do you people do when you aren't working on any game and feel bored. what do you code?
I've been working on my own custom language/compiler whenever I get stuck on my game

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: February 21, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »

Games. Always games.

you always make games with unique ideas? Cause for the time being I have no good idea in my mind and don't feel like making a clone of the popular games.

I guess you could say that development frameworks and tools don't count as making games, I see them as all part of the same workflow.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: February 27, 2013, 11:59:09 PM »

Created 259 files in 2 and a half months. Yay object oriented. (this is not even counting the libraries we made)

Making this would probably be at half the pace if it weren't for Eclipse's Ctrl-Shift-R. At least Eclipse does something right.
cubertron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: February 28, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »

Created 259 files in 2 and a half months. Yay object oriented. (this is not even counting the libraries we made)

Making this would probably be at half the pace if it weren't for Eclipse's Ctrl-Shift-R. At least Eclipse does something right.

Eclipse is probably the best IDE for Java. The shortcuts really help improve overall pace of the project
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3947 on: February 28, 2013, 12:36:09 AM »

Well, Mr. Compiler, how about instead of throwing a fit like a Grammar Nazi and refusing to cooperate when you notice some little typo you just warn me where the damn error was, make the change to the file you're reading, and keep compiling?  I mean, if you expected a semicolon there, and you know I'm pretty damn good about doing what you expect 99.999% of the time, then why are you being a dick about it?  You Literally Know What I Meant!  You even told me precisely how to fix the syntax, prick!

Even worse is when people act just like these dumb compilers WRT to minor typos; These folk also know what you mean, but refuse to utilize that massively parallel chemical computer atop their shoulders to do anything but waste time pointing out flaws and miss the point.

It's only the machine intelligence systems that whole heartedly strive to overcome the failures of strict syntax, and rightfully seek to intuit the meaning instead.  It is for this reason alone they will succeed where all others have failed:  They don't burn everyone's lives away acting a fool over minor miscommunications.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3948 on: February 28, 2013, 02:11:30 AM »

Get the source for your compiler, modify it to fix that error for you, share that patch publicly. Be a good programmer instead of complaining about something you have the power to fix; especially when you know full well that the people making your compiler are never ever going to do that for you.

You should probably also accept that there's more than one school of thought on the matter as well, and that arguing about it is largely pointless.

I'm grumpy cause of VS being too lenient and not making me catch things that error out in g++ until the build server sends me emails saying shit failed to build and deploy, so I have to spend time tweaking code locally, pushing, waiting for it to come back red or green... VS being a "nice guy" about it is irrelevant when it means code doesn't compile elsewhere.

VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3949 on: February 28, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »

Get the source for your compiler, modify it to fix that error for you, share that patch publicly. Be a good programmer instead of complaining about something you have the power to fix; especially when you know full well that the people making your compiler are never ever going to do that for you.

You should probably also accept that there's more than one school of thought on the matter as well, and that arguing about it is largely pointless.
This thread is pointless.  Life is pointless, what's your point?  Here, I'll show you:

I'm grumpy cause of VS being too lenient and not making me catch things that error out in g++ until the build server sends me emails saying shit failed to build and deploy, so I have to spend time tweaking code locally, pushing, waiting for it to come back red or green... VS being a "nice guy" about it is irrelevant when it means code doesn't compile elsewhere.

Why are you using a compiler you can't get source for to modify?  You should just use GCC on windows so that you can still modify it to fix that error for you (protip: your problem wouldn't exist if you did). Be a good programmer instead of complaining about some proprietary crap when you have the power to fix it; Especially when you know full well that an open source compiler exists for the platform you're working on, and that Microsoft is never ever going to do that for you.

You should probably also accept that there's more than one school of thought on the matter as well, but that discussing these schools of thought isn't pointless...

I'm grumpy because computers are too dumb, so are you.  If it's pointless to share in this misery that loves our company, then screw you too buddy.  You sound like an hypocritical ass to me.

I mean, I'd have to maintain a machine intelligence fork of GCC, but all you have to do is install MinGW or some other flavor of GCC and the crap you're whining over goes away.  -or- HA! Get this:  Don't install shit!  Just do your dev work on the more strict complier, and it'll be fine on the less strict one, FFS!

----
Also: You come off as sounding condescending with an air of superiority, that's why I cut you down to size, noob.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:53:44 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3950 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:19 PM »

The grumpiness is reaching dangerous levels in here. Have some kittens!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3951 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:09 PM »

Why are you using a compiler you can't get source for to modify?  You should just use GCC on windows so that you can still modify it to fix that error for you (protip: your problem wouldn't exist if you did). Be a good programmer instead of complaining about some proprietary crap when you have the power to fix it; Especially when you know full well that an open source compiler exists for the platform you're working on, and that Microsoft is never ever going to do that for you.

I'm grumpy because computers are too dumb, so are you.  If it's pointless to share in this misery that loves our company, then screw you too buddy.  You sound like an hypocritical ass to me.

I mean, I'd have to maintain a machine intelligence fork of GCC, but all you have to do is install MinGW or some other flavor of GCC and the crap you're whining over goes away.  -or- HA! Get this:  Don't install shit!  Just do your dev work on the more strict complier, and it'll be fine on the less strict one, FFS!
Vortex, I'm being condescending because of your manner of interaction, implying everyone is stupid and that you're the only one that's not crazy, which I find rather annoying.

In my eyes, you're some guy I've never heard of coming into the grumpy room whining about compilers and how they should fix your code for you, and how machine learning is the answer to your problems. Looking for information on you turned up a pretentious infinite scrolling universe website with hidden text, and little information about contributing anything, so I assumed (and still assume) that you're some experienceless internet badass.

I'm working on VS because I have >200k lines of legacy code full of win32 specific crap that is never going to be ported to mingw or any other flavour of windows gcc, using libraries that dont have mingw compatible releases. All I'd have to do would be port thousands of lines of code, making sure that none of the changes introduced new problems, and then swap out some key libraries, modifying any touch points to use whatever replacement lib we could find and replacing any missing functionality, none of which contributes to making releases. MinGW isn't an option for this project Smiley

You didn't cut anyone down to size, you just waved your dick around and called me dumb, while looking like an impotent angry fucker the whole time.

Thanks for the kittens, Took. Probably gonna need them today.

pixhead
« Reply #3952 on: March 03, 2013, 12:43:02 AM »

-.- the rendering bug came back... da fuq.

and I just made a post about how I don't like complaining about bugs. But srsly, da fuq!
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3953 on: March 03, 2013, 04:58:06 AM »

Outside some exercises from Project Euler and other very tiny bits of code I tested into online compilers, I spent the last few weeks working on migrating one of my project to github and writing documentation.

So I'm grumpy because I want to get back to code ;__;

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: March 03, 2013, 05:21:46 AM »

5 megabyte OGG file adds 240 megabytes to memory usage
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: March 03, 2013, 05:28:14 AM »

Outside some exercises from Project Euler and other very tiny bits of code I tested into online compilers, I spent the last few weeks working on migrating one of my project to github and writing documentation.
What's hard about migrating to Github? Clone the repo and copy over all the code... Unless of course you want to retain all the commit history. But then it should be as easy as adding a new remote (Github) to your existing Git repo and pushing everything to it.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3956 on: March 03, 2013, 06:21:35 AM »

What's hard about migrating to Github? Clone the repo and copy over all the code... Unless of course you want to retain all the commit history. But then it should be as easy as adding a new remote (Github) to your existing Git repo and pushing everything to it.

Indeed cloning a repo to github is not hard nor slow at all, but that's not the whole story of my project's migration which is really a complex set of projects working together.
Making sure all the doc is correctly accessible, visible, organized as you need it to be just takes a lot of time. Also, importing issues and linking things together.

The work for this migration also involved splitting a big mercurial repo into several smaller git ones (so to simplify I didn't even tried to convert history, it's ok for now), setting up correctly a super-repo (using subrepos), updating some of the documentation which were wrong now (this takes a lot of time because you have to read all the doc and rewrite some parts), changing the documentation formatting to markdown (which I could have avoided but I wanted a more generic syntax for docs so it was the right time to do it) - knowing that there are tons of wiki doc; setting up a dev website front, which means still more doc to write; updating cmake scripts so that each project can work independently (not totally ok yet BTW) etc. and other little operations that added together just take time.

There are still work to be done which are not directly related to the migration, like the current website texts are no good (too big, too confusing) so I'm almost finished redacting new simpler and understandable texts; then I will have to redact some new documentation that are missing for people to start getting involved into helping, including a file format specification that is not "easy" to write at all; and another more human-readable explanation of this format which would be like a big illustrated tutorial. Also, UI design documents (which I guess I'll make just by scanning drawings or making drawing in photoshop)

Once I've done  all that, I still need to fix some bugs in one of the most important sub project, then work hard to get an alpha out so that people can start to see where I'm going exactly and start contributing.

So, to sum up, it's not a simple project, it's complex, needs tons of docs for people to help on it and as I'm alone on it and I still  have a game to work on it's taking a lot of time to do all this. Fortunately I spent the last weeks full time on this, so it went faster than it should have, even if I was stuck to bed several days because from sickness.

But yeah, just migrating a repo into github really was the easy and quick part.

I wish I wasn't alone on this v__v;

Paind33r
Level 0

,jfjhftjgdtfdvfsjvfcdfgfcghfdvhvf

View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: March 03, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »

Button mashers. Hand Any Key Mock Anger
George Michaels
Level 0

I like big butts and I can not lie

View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: March 04, 2013, 03:16:42 AM »

Found a bug where entities are able to push other entities through walls in a sort of chain reaction...

Sorta works like this: Entity1 is pushing against a wall and Entity2 is pushing against Entity1 in the direction of the wall. Now Entity3 comes along and pushes into Entity2 starting a chain reaction where Entity2 resolves inside Entity1 which resolves far enough into the wall that the world collision code pushes it out the other side...

Yeah, that.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3959 on: March 04, 2013, 03:25:26 AM »

Make it so that when Entity2 goes too close to Entity1, Entity 1 shoves 2 away, stating that it needs it's privacy.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic