Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:02:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738201 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: November 16, 2015, 03:29:42 AM »

commit more than once a year

Shocked

yah

I don't see how you'd get any benefits from git unless you commit often. Preferable after every change (atomic commits) or at least every day, unless you're lazy and maybe skip a day sometimes.

Which I now realize sounds like a "do lots of extra work, do it properly"-thing. But just being able to do a "git diff" to compare with my state yesterday saves my ass on a really regular basis. Like avoiding keeping temporary changes, reverting things that break, not worrying about doing crazy changes etc.

Yeah, I'm used to doing it from working at web companies but for some reason I never got into the habit with my own project...

I do have a habit of making local copies of relevant files before making "crazy changes" at least. I didn't when rewriting the engine to use deferred rendering in the last few days tho. Tongue But hey, it ended well.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: November 16, 2015, 09:28:54 AM »

First time publishing a game to the android play store. It worked fine on multiple devices. However, whenever I play the version downloaded from the store it crashes.
I unpublished the game and want to test a new version to check if it I was able to fix it.
But of course, using a private beta is not possible if you had already published the game prior, so I am forced to have a broken version sitting on the store until I manage to fix. Cry

Not to mention that rolling out a new version will take about 12 hours to process.
(in case anyone is familiar with this problemn, this is my error;)
E/Unity   (31611): Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for resource sharedassets0.resource, (File not found. )

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: November 16, 2015, 05:31:29 PM »

commit more than once a year

Shocked

yah

I don't see how you'd get any benefits from git unless you commit often. Preferable after every change (atomic commits) or at least every day, unless you're lazy and maybe skip a day sometimes.

Which I now realize sounds like a "do lots of extra work, do it properly"-thing. But just being able to do a "git diff" to compare with my state yesterday saves my ass on a really regular basis. Like avoiding keeping temporary changes, reverting things that break, not worrying about doing crazy changes etc.

Yeah, I'm used to doing it from working at web companies but for some reason I never got into the habit with my own project...

I do have a habit of making local copies of relevant files before making "crazy changes" at least. I didn't when rewriting the engine to use deferred rendering in the last few days tho. Tongue But hey, it ended well.

You could local branch for big changes like that. Probably one of git's biggest strengths.

The case sensitivity thing is interesting. I develop mostly on windows so I rarely have a chance to ever give that a shot in git. I thought the tree hash algorithm it uses would take the filename into account but maybe it doesn't. That would be surprising since it was birthed in linux though.

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: November 19, 2015, 09:32:41 PM »

• why is Cortana unable to understand virtually anything I say to it
  • what did I do to deserve being forced to develop an app exclusively for Cortana

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: November 19, 2015, 09:35:18 PM »

Sound like a Sartre's book

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: November 20, 2015, 09:40:58 AM »

Arg I accidentally did a git rebase/merge series of operations int he wrong order and screwed myself. Now I have to interactively  merge each commit from 2 branches that are partially updated and then check my code to make sure I didn't lose everything.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: November 20, 2015, 09:50:34 AM »

Ha! You too! I feel your pain.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5007 on: November 20, 2015, 10:43:37 AM »

Arg I accidentally did a git rebase/merge series of operations int he wrong order and screwed myself. Now I have to interactively  merge each commit from 2 branches that are partially updated and then check my code to make sure I didn't lose everything.
You could undo the rebase and merge, then do them from scratch, the right way?

Oblig:

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: November 20, 2015, 11:42:22 AM »

Arg I accidentally did a git rebase/merge series of operations int he wrong order and screwed myself. Now I have to interactively  merge each commit from 2 branches that are partially updated and then check my code to make sure I didn't lose everything.
You could undo the rebase and merge, then do them from scratch, the right way?

Oblig:

It's not actually as simple as I described in my post otherwise that's exactly what I would have done. Essentially I was working in the wrong local branch (late night) and had some files in the unstaged area. I unstashed them to the wrong local branch that was out of date and thus had to essentially faux-cherry pick back into my main local branch from both the local feature branch and the partially wrong local branch that had a portion of the work already done.

EDIT : Even better git managed to not be able to identify a commit I had on remote in a pull rebase and thought it was a new commit then proceeded to try to merge it resulting in a diff that was the entire file. It then slapped a new sha on to the commit so in the remote logs the same commit is entered twice. Oh git, you so crazy.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:57:03 AM by InfiniteStateMachine » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: November 21, 2015, 10:54:39 PM »

So i'm trying to follow the AI courses over there: http://courses.nucl.ai/
But I'm stuck at some dumb part who refuse to proceed as told

I'm using a brand new computer where there is no python (on purpose)

LOCAL ENVIRONMENT
You’ll be using a Python 3.x instance in a virtual environment. This means it’s both self-contained and can easily be deleted later. Only Python 3.4+ is supported by the code.

New Directory — In your home folder, mkdir pmgai; cd pmgai to contain all downloaded files.

virtualenv — Type python -m venv --system-site-packages pyvenv to setup local Python.

Activate — In a shell, use pyvenv\Scripts\activate.bat to use the local version of Python 3.x.

Setup pip — Run python -m pip install pip --ignore-installed to work around this bug.

nucl.ai Helper — Run pip install nuclai to grab a copy of our installation tool.

Testing — Try nuclai --help to check things worked as expected with help text.

You need to re-activate your local Python 3.x environment each time you open a new Terminal.

I'm stuck at "python -m venv --system-site-packages pyvenv" on win10, it tells me "No module named venv"

I type python alone it's python 2 Huh?

So I type python3.exe and it's not recognized  My Word!

I manually dl and install python3

still not working

the previous step were

PACKAGE MANAGER
We recommend you use Chocolatey to manage the installation of packages.

Install — Run this script to install Chocolatey locally on your machine.
Update — Type choco upgrade chocolatey to be sure you have the latest version.
Tools — Use choco install -y msysgit cmdermini to setup a modern console with Git.
You can find the Cmder executable in C:\Tools, and to out more about how to use Cmder on the official page. If the Cmder install fails the first time and refuses to try again, consider --force as an extra argument to Chocolatey.

GLOBAL DEPENDENCIES
Some libraries will be installed globally with Chocolatey for simplicity, as this avoids having to compile them during later setup.

Python 3.4+ — Type choco install -y miniconda3 to get the latest version of 3.x.
Close/Reopen — Restart your terminal so the new PATH is reloaded automatically.
Numpy & Scipy — Type conda install -y numpy scipy to install computing libraries.
GLFW — Type choco install -y glfw3 for the windowing toolkit used later.
You can use choco uninstall to remove these packages once you’re done.

Which I manage to complete ...

What do I do?

PYTHON is really not liking me  Outraged

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5010 on: November 22, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »

What do the follow commands output?

python --version
python3 --version
choco list --all

venv is built-in since python 3.3, so my first guess is you've managed to install the wrong version, or install multiple versions and are using the wrong one.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:13:20 PM by BorisTheBrave » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: November 22, 2015, 02:18:58 PM »

python --version  >> Python 2.7.9
python3 --version >> not recognized
Choco list -- all >> I'm still waiting after at least 30mn then dump the internet for me ... 14989 packages found

Extra info
I tried it on the other computer with just python 3
python --version  >> Python 3.4.3
python3 --version >> not recognized

Beliefs and facts:
Miniconda3 was supposed to get latest python 3.x
I got python 2.x
tryed restarting the process (one verbatim, one with --force)
I installed python 3.5 manually
same problem

I use command line with cmdr in admin mode (as told)

But I don't know the assumption to reason without the cmd line (to use other process, for example to use pip if that's possible outside command)

I wonder if there is there is untold assumption in the assignment that I should have known that blindly following the procedure won't help (I'm not sure about: "Close/Reopen — Restart your terminal so the new PATH is reloaded automatically."
 I guess I get it but it might be flawed guess, also this "Activate — In a shell, use pyvenv\Scripts\activate.bat to use the local version of Python 3.x." might have implication I don't get (wait the shell isn't the command line?))

I'm not confident on my knwledge on those aspects

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:26:26 PM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5012 on: November 23, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »

Oh, I guess i meant
choco --all --local-only

Sorry, I've never used Chocolatley, was guessing from the online docs.

"terminal","shell" and "command line", don't mean quite the same thing, but they are close enough for these purposes. Using cmdr is fine. Running activate.bat just sets things up so that all the subsequent pip install comamands install into that named environment. It sounds like something has gone wrong earlier in the process though, as you definitely don't have the right python version.

I'd uninstall miniconda and miniconda3 and try again?

choco uninstall --force-dependencies miniconda miniconda3

Unfortunately, the docs seem to suggest this doesn't actually do a great deal, so you may need to uninstall python 2 manually.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: November 24, 2015, 05:45:03 PM »

choco -xxx: it give me a list of command, just like when I input random command

I don't know where to find activate bat or how to set up, I found no information about it. DO I just type the line they give? ( pyvenv\Scripts\activate.bat)

done uninstalling python too (manually and command)

Reinstalled successfully python 3 (verified using version) within command.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5014 on: November 25, 2015, 02:56:16 PM »

DO I just type the line they give?
Yes. The previous command will have created that file. Note you'll need to cd to the appropriate location if you opened a new shell since running the "python -m venv" commaned.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the instructions. Now you've got python 3 you should just be able to continue.

I think this is the last of the help I can give you - I've gone through the basics of diagnostics, but I'm no expert and cannot do much more back and forth in a forum. If problems persist, identify the first failing command and read the docs on the relevant command - they are all excellently written up.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: November 25, 2015, 03:19:26 PM »

I posted in grumpy (because of my ongoing drama with python lol) because I was in the process of documenting myself (maybe I should not have frame it as a question lol), but you have greatly accelerated the process (I used google but found a lot of noise) I appreciate the help greatly.

Thank you a lot  Beer!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: November 26, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »

The saga do continue lol
"python -m pip install pip --ignore-installed" is telling me "no module name install"

Tried pip directly and it works but "nuclai install placeholder" return "ERROR: could not execute 'git', error code 2."

Huh? Hand Shake Right
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:35:43 AM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: November 27, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »

trying to figure out how to do a gamepad-compatible menu in GM:S is a lot harder than I anticipated
 Facepalm

Canned Turkey
« Reply #5018 on: November 27, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »

1. Global variables for gamepad selected x and y
2. Make buttons all have "coordinates" for button navigation
3. Make the buttons highlight when the globalvars match up with their menu coordinates
4. Make the gamepad change the global variables
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: November 27, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »

I ended up going overboard (as I tend to do) and made it basically emulate the Unity UI

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic