Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:10:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738246 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: June 25, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »

Weird they ripped out ruby for javascript.

Ruby is an excellent language, but it is, by a large margin, one of the most difficult languages to embed into an application. I would guess that the difficulty of working with it behind-the-scenes also contributed to the decision.

Ah that makes sense.

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5061 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »

I can't stand Ruby's syntax. A lot of it goes against everything you've ever been taught by other languages.
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: June 26, 2016, 01:25:19 PM »

1-1/2 days spent fiddling with my code and why it didn't seem to work despite making absolute sense.  Turns out it was fine and I was reading the console wrong.

I don't know how to feel about this, I'm definitely grumpy for the lost time but also happy that everything is operational...

Grump-Happy?

Haprumpy?

Grumpappy?

Humpy?

Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:15 PM »

But where is the syntax error?
everywhere. Basically it's that every time I test my javascript code there's a hunt for missing commas and spelling errors (cause as far as javascript is concerned maybe you really wanted to have two variables named eatShit and eatshit) which I find to be kind of a drag.   
Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: June 27, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »

1-1/2 days spent fiddling with my code and why it didn't seem to work despite making absolute sense.  Turns out it was fine and I was reading the console wrong.

I don't know how to feel about this, I'm definitely grumpy for the lost time but also happy that everything is operational...

Grump-Happy?

Haprumpy?

Grumpappy?

Humpy?

go with humpy.
Mannapi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: June 29, 2016, 03:34:17 PM »

I realized today that in order to get a custom file to load in a built Unity application I need to save it in a specific resource folder as a .txt file (regardless of the actual extension), load it using the unity Resource.Load as a TextAsset object. Then create a MemoryStream from the bytes attribute of said object, in order to deserialize the stream using the binary formatter I created it with in the first place.

As far as I can tell this is the way. Please correct me. Please.

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5066 on: June 29, 2016, 11:25:11 PM »

You should be able to use the File class as well to get any type of file and deserialize it.

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5067 on: July 02, 2016, 11:33:27 PM »

im addicted to refactoring please help me

Caravan: devlog | website
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: July 02, 2016, 11:55:32 PM »

Refactoring is good!

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5069 on: July 07, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »

Why is increpare's name no longer clickable, did they leave?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: July 07, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »

Why is increpare's name no longer clickable, did they leave?

long time ago. Almost a tradition.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: July 09, 2016, 02:39:15 PM »

Was having a ton of problems exporting a simple ansi c function to a cpp/clr dll. Turns it had nothing to do with export syntax, build steps or anything like that. It was because it was using the c compiler. I had to rename the file from .c to .cpp for the cpp compiler to run and then everything worked.

I didn't think to look there mainly because I can import directly into c# no problem. I thought I was making things easier on myself by completely avoiding things like name mangling etc...

Anyways I can't find out exactly what this fixes. No one on stack overflow seems to have run into this issue.

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5072 on: July 23, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »

GUI progamming is boring and painful!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: July 23, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »

glScissor() is your friend!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: July 24, 2016, 07:01:39 AM »

Just wanted to go back into my virtual Linux box and grab a screenshot from there but it suddenly thought it didn't have any screen and after googling and messing to get CMake and stuff working with Android for days on end I wasn't feeling up to trying to fix Linux the same way, so now I'm just reïnstalling the whole thing. The project is on Bitbucket and uses CMake so all I need to do is reïnstall the libs I need and I should be back up and running again relatively soon anyway, but gaahhh... Lips Sealed

EDIT:
Forget what I said about relatively soon. Forgot how much initial setup is actually needed. And how I got Linux in VirtualBox to do GL. No No NO
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:58:36 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: July 24, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MticYPfFRp8?
Coding Sucks: Why a Job in Programming Is Absolute Hell

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: July 24, 2016, 03:02:41 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MticYPfFRp8?
Coding Sucks: Why a Job in Programming Is Absolute Hell

Sadly accurate...

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: July 25, 2016, 02:27:26 AM »

HOW DO I OPENGL 3.1+ IN UBUNTU MACHINE RUNNING IN VIRTUAL BOX AAAHHH ;_;

Even if the virtual card can't do it, I've heard of GPU passthrough... So that I could just use my host machine's actual GPU, which does support it. But I can't really find anything about how that works...

Come on, it's 2016, OpenGL has moved to 4 and beyond to Vulkan, give me a measly 3.1… No No NO

EDIT:
Oh, well, found out there's apparently a Ubuntu installer that allows me to install Ubuntu "inside of Windows" instead of classic dual-booting these days. Interesting. Will do it on the Windows laptop next to me and we'll see.

EDIT 2:
... But apparently that option no longer exists, aagh.

EDIT 3:
OK, NVM, apparently the installer is still on Ubuntu ISO's (actually you don't even need the ISO, you can get wubi.exe directly from here) up to version 14.04.4 and I can force it to work by starting it from the command line using --force-wubi. They sure are making an effort to make doing something in Windows feel like doing something in Linux before I even get there… c;

EDIT 4:
Well, that didn't go well... Successful installation, but my file system is now read-only for some reason, so "serious errors" are cropping up and it just doesn't work. q__q

EDIT 5:
All right, got it working. Installed 12.x instead, don't know if the version was the issue, or the fact that I told Windows it could force reboot to initiate the last install, locking the file system for protection and then messing things up. I guess I'll try updating if I can't get stuff working in 12 already. Otherwise I'm done with that part at least. And Synergy is working, so it's pretty much like working on a VM now anyway, only much faster. Drivers and stuff can be trickier on a real machine, tho. Will try to get OpenGL stuff and compile and run my program again and we'll see.

EDIT 5:
Success! Terminal says OpenGL 3.3 if you can't see it.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:30:37 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:51 AM »

"this whole shabang"

teatreegames
« Reply #5079 on: July 25, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »

Rewriting GUI-related classes because of design change sucks, on top of it already being boring. Angry
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic