Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:16:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 733462 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: April 12, 2017, 07:03:22 AM »

It's never too late

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: April 12, 2017, 08:19:10 AM »

I keep blocking myself again by overthinking a problem. Not a good habit.
On that note, modularity (and trying to program with it in mind) can be a wonderful friend or a cruel foe.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: April 12, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »

Stencil shader to clip geometry not viewed through this gate works in editor scene view but not in game view or build (for any system or any renderer) in Unity... q__q

… So I created a completely new Unity project and pasted the shaders into it and now they magically work. o_x

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: April 12, 2017, 08:52:02 AM »

Restarting the editor didn't solved it?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: April 12, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »

Nope. Works in the new project but still not in the old one. Shrug

Happy to have "fixed" it, but not so happy to have wasted so much effort on something that wasn't actually broken, but just Unity being weird. Should probably file some kind of bug report when I feel like it.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5265 on: April 12, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »

On that note, modularity (and trying to program with it in mind) can be a wonderful friend or a cruel foe.

There's a pretty solid correlation to a high degree of modularity and projects I never finish :D

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: April 13, 2017, 12:03:34 AM »

There's a pretty solid correlation to a high degree of modularity and projects I never finish :D

My current workspace is 10 projects. That's pretty modular. It even does some rendering!
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5267 on: April 13, 2017, 12:07:23 AM »

Oh... now that you say it: I noticed this even in professional environments. My own projects are well-modulized most of the time, with a list of notes where to improve "if there's spare time". Which is never.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: April 13, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »

I'm using the ECS paradigm, so its pretty much a given that modularity is happening in some shape or form. I don't see myself moving away from it anytime soon, but I'm definitely thinking I want to refine some of my design techniques after I finish my current project.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: April 18, 2017, 02:35:26 AM »

This being the grumpy old programmer room, though, I have to say that you're doomed whether you go for modularity or not.

Non-Modular: You can never change anything because every class in your 200 class project depends on everything else, from public variables to undocumented timing quirks.

Modular: Everything's perfectly independent of everything else, but you have 3000 classes and one of them's called AbstractCollectionCallbackUICache and you don't even remember what it does. Also, you can't so much as print "Hello, World!" without setting up a coroutine and passing in 17 parameters.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: April 18, 2017, 07:12:15 AM »

This being the grumpy old programmer room, though, I have to say that you're doomed whether you go for modularity or not.

Non-Modular: You can never change anything because every class in your 200 class project depends on everything else, from public variables to undocumented timing quirks.

Modular: Everything's perfectly independent of everything else, but you have 3000 classes and one of them's called AbstractCollectionCallbackUICache and you don't even remember what it does. Also, you can't so much as print "Hello, World!" without setting up a coroutine and passing in 17 parameters.

How about modular but you have zero classes and no header is allowed to include other headers so all the interfaces are completely decoupled.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: April 18, 2017, 08:22:21 AM »

I laughed. Thank you. Big Laff
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »

I move to bread board style of modularity, else it's too complexe. Ie keep module simple and use the breadboard for the interface and coupling. In some way it's liek the MVC (I think) but I'm no programmer I do what work best to me. I just evolve from a kind of command stack architecture I was using, with "actuator" completely independent and only exposing "button" for controller to "push" so a car had the engine, that know nothing about anyone, and a "brain" that act on the engine and "sensor" that act on the brain, worked well for a car ans similar object but dreadful to make teh whole game composition like that because I couldn't just test a part without booting everything (because car don't work without "track" and track don't work without manager, which didn't without menu, etc ...)

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: April 19, 2017, 12:15:26 PM »

By my own stupidity, I had to reset (delete and create another) my repository. Git history is clean, but I lost my precious issues and well planned stuff. Time to rewrite those plans.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: April 20, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »

what happened to make you have to delete it? Did the repo get corrupted or something?

Canned Turkey
« Reply #5275 on: April 20, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »

Why I am a grumpy programmer:

Windows 10.

That is all.
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: April 21, 2017, 12:26:32 AM »

what happened to make you have to delete it? Did the repo get corrupted or something?

I tried to use reflog (which i never used before) to clean the history of dangling commits on the repo, found some scripts on internet to automate the process. I deleted more than the dangling commits and I didn't notice, then uploaded to my github repo Tongue My luck is that I had an earlier copy of the repo, just some commits behind.

Windows 10.

That is all.

Come... cooome to the Linux side.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: April 21, 2017, 04:38:25 AM »

I tried to use reflog (which i never used before) to clean the history of dangling commits on the repo, found some scripts on internet to automate the process. I deleted more than the dangling commits and I didn't notice, then uploaded to my github repo Tongue My luck is that I had an earlier copy of the repo, just some commits behind.

Windows 10.

That is all.

Come... cooome to the Linux side.

ah I see. FWIW git in most cases never actually deletes anything, it just orphans the node in the graph. Although getting those nodes back is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: April 22, 2017, 09:39:13 AM »

Forgot to initialize the value of gravity, so when once it started showing up in arithmetic logic the almighty NaN's started flying. I was utterly confused. It was one of those things where I had to climb backwards several steps to understand where they were perpetuating from.

Mock Anger
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5279 on: April 22, 2017, 11:09:05 AM »

Isn't it hilarious that NaN spread like cancer. In a studio I worked at in past we had a NaN-Cam, a camera that would work almost, but had NaNs in it. Would result in the main character looking like an exploding supernova due to NaNs spreading into the HDR/dynamic range shaders. Kinda grew to love NaN-Cam. Nobody ever bothered to fix it.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic