Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:36:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738077 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5280 on: April 22, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »

Forgot to initialize the value of gravity, so when once it started showing up in arithmetic logic the almighty NaN's started flying. I was utterly confused. It was one of those things where I had to climb backwards several steps to understand where they were perpetuating from.

Mock Anger
Isn't it hilarious that NaN spread like cancer. In a studio I worked at in past we had a NaN-Cam, a camera that would work almost, but had NaNs in it. Would result in the main character looking like an exploding supernova due to NaNs spreading into the HDR/dynamic range shaders. Kinda grew to love NaN-Cam. Nobody ever bothered to fix it.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: May 17, 2017, 02:42:45 AM »

Welp so without making any semantic changes (that I'm aware of anyways), my small Vulkan application suddenly stopped working on my laptop, claiming that vkCreateDevice() (which creates a logical device from a physical device) fails. I have no clue why it would fail or wtf is going on tbh. It's pretty straight vanilla Vulkan code.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: May 17, 2017, 02:53:01 AM »

I've had similar mysterious things happen to me with OpenGL, but experience tells me that it is your fault and you did manage to accidentally change something semantical even tho that wasn't what you were trying to do, and you'll find it eventually after trying everything. Tongue

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: May 17, 2017, 05:56:30 AM »

I've had similar mysterious things happen to me with OpenGL, but experience tells me that it is your fault and you did manage to accidentally change something semantical even tho that wasn't what you were trying to do, and you'll find it eventually after trying everything. Tongue

Yeah that's for sure. I'm a bit confused about the error messages because they imply some function pointer lookups in the driver are failing and I'm a bit surprised I could cause that output with my code but it might as well just be a ricochet message and the issue is somewhere else completely. I was kinda sure that it worked fine on m desktop tho so first thing is going to be verifying that.
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: May 17, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »

Hate when that happens. It's usually a tiny change, and when it's graphic-related it's even worse to debug. In OpenGL I started checking for error after every OpenGL call, just to try to make debugging easier.

Teknokommari
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5285 on: May 19, 2017, 12:31:30 AM »

Being grumpy because of loose ends I need to tie up from previous project which is at the stage where it's very difficult to muster any inspiration to work on it.

All while I have more interesting projects of my own to work on.

Why I am a grumpy programmer:

Windows 10.

That is all.

Come... cooome to the Linux side.

With the fairly new Visual studio code being available for Linux this sounds more tempting than ever. If they'll ever port Unity editor to Linux then I am quickly running out of reasons to use windows for anything other than playing games.

Still running Windows 7 though because Windows 10 doesn't really entice me with their star menu advertising, forced app installs on update and data gathering.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:39:07 AM by Teknokommari » Logged

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: May 19, 2017, 01:06:50 AM »

Being grumpy because of loose ends I need to tie up from previous project which is at the stage where it's very difficult to muster any inspiration to work on it.

All while I have more interesting projects of my own to work on.

Why I am a grumpy programmer:

Windows 10.

That is all.

Come... cooome to the Linux side.

With the fairly new Visual studio code being available for Linux this sounds more tempting than ever. If they'll ever port Unity editor to Linux then I am quickly running out of reasons to use windows for anything other than playing games.

Still running Windows 7 though because Windows 10 doesn't really entice me with their star menu advertising, forced app installs on update and data gathering.

Visual Studio Code IS really really nice. Not really a fully featured IDE but much much better than anything that I have to use at work to edit code (seriously, fuck QT Creator. Big time.)
LittleTwig
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: May 19, 2017, 04:56:54 AM »

If they'll ever port Unity editor to Linux then I am quickly running out of reasons to use windows for anything other than playing games.

While it's still experimental, I'm having no issues with the current Linux version of Unity. Have you tried it?
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: May 19, 2017, 11:03:27 PM »

If they'll ever port Unity editor to Linux then I am quickly running out of reasons to use windows for anything other than playing games.

While it's still experimental, I'm having no issues with the current Linux version of Unity. Have you tried it?

Current? I know there was an experimental release back in 2015... Has there been anything since?

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
LittleTwig
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: May 19, 2017, 11:50:50 PM »

Yeah, it's updated quite frequently. You can find the releases here https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/

It's currently on version 5.6.1f.
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: May 20, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »

On Arch Linux, the latest version was released in 2017/05/18 (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/unity-editor/).

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: May 20, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

Cool! I'll have to check those out.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: May 21, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »

I'm doing networking!

First time actually doing more than simple chat with networking, really liking enet so far, it's nice and slim and while it's probably missing a lot of features that, say, RakNet provides, I prefer this so far. Might change when I actually use this in something that needs NAT punchthrough and everything.

Anyways, this is the grumpy thread so my grumpyness comes from the fact that I have noticable input lag when connecting to local host. The protocol is the dumbest, most straightforward thing ever - each frame, clients send their current input state and each frame the server calculates world state and broadcasts that. With this the worst latency between key press and movement happening should be something like four times the update rate which would be 4*16 = 64 ms which I GUESS could be noticeable but shouldn't be this noticeable really so there's probably something else going on. This is my very first time doing realtime networking so I might be doing something awful.
Teknokommari
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5293 on: May 21, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »

Quote from: LittleTwig

Didn't even know one existed.
Interesting, might have to check it out.

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5294 on: May 21, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

You'll probably need a separate thread to handle send/accept on packets at the lowest level, and move these packets into a data structure. This way you aren't blocked by the tick rate (16ms).
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: May 21, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »

I think enet might do that already for me. But there's still a distinct point in the frame where I pull the packets from that data structure and queue new ones to send and if state updates are received at the wrong point in the frame that adds a frame of latency. 
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5296 on: May 21, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »

That's very normal. The client has a tickrate. Nothing to improve here. Just modify the reported ping to be when the lowest level thread recieves a packet. If you can't do this with enet, then I guess you're out of luck. It doesn't actually make a difference for real latency, just the reported latency.
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: May 21, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »

My problem stays the same then because I do have actual input lag.
GuiltyGreens
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: May 22, 2017, 10:11:04 PM »

Why not just let the client calculate their world state then handle desyncs?
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: May 22, 2017, 10:56:47 PM »

Why not just let the client calculate their world state then handle desyncs?

The plan is to eventually have the client predict stuff yeah, with the server remaining the authority. I just didn't expect to have latency on local host at all and suspect it hints at something being off with time synchronisation.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic