Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:47:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 738264 times)
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2008, 06:18:02 PM »

Oh balls. I take that back Tongue

increpare
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2008, 06:21:41 PM »

What do you mean, it doesn't... work? Shocked
I don't know.

I spent ages making the code nice and class-y.  But it was in an untestable transition state for too long.  I've had to revert back to my horrible C mess from a while ago and work with that again.  Any objectification goals I have will now be iterative.  For the moment, this means that I am going to be in array hell insofar as my data formats are concerned.

Cagey, why absolute value?
<- that

(also, I did try fabs just there in case my intuition was leading me astray, but it made no difference.  I wish I had time to check out why, but for the moment I'm stuck trying to get back to the point where (I thought) I was earlier today).
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »

Are you certain it doesn't work? Odds are the problem was unrelated to the lengthsq function and you just made a different change somewhere else that caused the problem...

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »

(also, I did try fabs just there in case my intuition was leading me astray, but it made no difference.  I wish I had time to check out why, but for the moment I'm stuck trying to get back to the point where (I thought) I was earlier today).

Haven't you started using source code management? Then that should be trivial Grin
increpare
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »

Haven't you started using source code management? Then that should be trivial Grin
It was trivial, even a delight, to get back to the point where I was yesterday with hg, but not to the point where i thought I was today, because essentially all of the code I wrote from last night to this evening was horrendously broken. 
increpare
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2008, 03:54:20 AM »

Suffering from Mathematica® Fatigue® at the moment.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2008, 03:59:45 AM »

I. Hate. EventListeners. In. AS3.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2008, 04:58:34 AM »

Not wishing to interrupt your righteous grumpiness, but is there anything I can help with? One gentleman to another, and all that. Gentleman

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:28 AM »

Not wishing to interrupt your righteous grumpiness, but is there anything I can help with? One gentleman to another, and all that. Gentleman

I fear not, I just dislike the way they work (or don't, for that matter). Thanks for the offer, though. Gentleman
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2008, 05:25:03 AM »

I hate AS3 in general.

Greg
Level 0

has a compass, lost my map

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2008, 11:25:28 PM »

Gnaaaah! Why does OpenGL mangle my sprite colors in subtle yet noticeable ways when I load them into textures?  Angry Angry Angry How is one supposed to simulate reduced palettes this way? Grrr.

I realize it was August when you wrote this, but recently I overcame the same problem.  Actually, it was over Christmas, when I had some time to do more in-depth reading into GL to sort some things out.  The first and vastly most useful thing I learned was about GL texture blending modes.  GL defaults to Bilinear blending, so the colors from loaded sprites at pixel levels run through the blending algorithm on their way to the fragment buffer.  A really excellent explanation of all the blending modes are here and here.   that second link in particular, he pretty much explains everything you need to know about OpenGL Blending modes. 

here's some code that about sums up what your options are.  also note, you can turn off blending by setting both GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER & GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER to GL_NEAREST w/ the glTexParameteri(), and thus do blocky pixel graphics and they'll turn out correctly.
Code:
textureMode_t modes[] = {
{ GL_NEAREST, GL_NEAREST, "Far Filtering off.  Mipmapping off" },
{ GL_LINEAR, GL_LINEAR, "Bilinear filtering, no mipmap" },
{ GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST, GL_NEAREST, "Far Filtering off, standard mipmap" },
{ GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST, GL_LINEAR, "Bilinear filtering with standard mipmap" },
{ GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR, GL_NEAREST, "Far Filtering off.  Mipmaps use Trilinear" },
{ GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, GL_LINEAR, "Bilinear Filtering.  Mipmaps use Trilinear" },
};

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 07:53:00 AM by Greg » Logged

A day for firm decisions!!! Or is it?
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2008, 04:54:58 AM »

Thanks, but my real problem was this:

Gnaaaah! Why does OpenGL mangle my sprite colors in subtle yet noticeable ways when I load them into textures?  Angry Angry Angry How is one supposed to simulate reduced palettes this way? Grrr.

I figured it out. If anyone ever has the same problem: it's not enough to tell it to store the texture in GL_RGB internal format; no, even if you're in 32bit color mode, you have to tell it explicitly to use GL_RGB8 or it mucks with your colors. Weird, that.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2008, 05:45:50 AM »

2nded.
Abobe need to stop hiring enthusiastic programmers and start hiring practical ones.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2008, 06:44:51 AM »

2nded.
Abobe need to stop hiring enthusiastic programmers and start hiring practical ones.

I say we all go back to AS2. Simple, sweet, lovely AS2.

Gregory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »

2nded.

I like AS3.  But then I'm an enthusiastic programmer.
increpare
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2008, 07:39:33 PM »

Bah humbug.  I spent all day changing my nice opengl code from immediate mode to (for the most part)  using display lists which, irritatingly, I've found out, are deprecated in the train wreck known as openGL 3.0.  Ah well.  Here's hoping there'll be something nice and similar in opengl 4.0.  The change also ramped up my code readability by quite a bit.

Also: gDEBugger is pretty bloody mesmerizing.

Also: my profiling shows that it will certainly be worthwhile for me to go back and start figuring out what was so kooky about my length2 function before

callsname
6137290length(float, float, float, float)
1404657 parity(float, float, float, float)
1387279angle(float, float, float, float)

My 'angle' function, by the by, is a wonder of modern geometry: it doesn't measure any identifiable geometric property at all, and resists all efforts I make to rid it from my code and replace it with something that one might recognise as an angle and less hopelessly inefficient (my 'angle' function calls length no less than three times).
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2008, 05:12:44 AM »

2nded.

This makes me feel better about still being stuck with my copy of Flash Basic 8.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
increpare
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »

Spent all day debugging my code.  FINALLY fixed my length and angle code, and added several simplifying optimisations. 

e.g.

old rotation code snippit:
pdir-=angle(dx-cx,dy-cy,bx-ax,by-ay);
pdir=(-angle(dx-cx,dy-cy)+180.0f-angle(dx-cx,dy-cy, cos(pdir*(Pi/180.0f)), sin(pdir*(Pi/180.0f))));

found itself replaced with the entirely equivalent
Code:
pdir=-(pdir+angle(dx-cx,dy-cy)+angle(bx-ax,by-ay));

Also changed over all of my angle units to radians, except when calling the opengl rotation function (opengl's immediate mode works in degrees).  I feel better about that.

Also, to avoid veering too much off topic.  My current big HATE about codeblocks: it's icon is too bloody easy to confuse with Chrome's.
 Angry Angry Angry

(it might not be obvious how similar they are from that...but...damnit...it's a source of slight though continual irritation).
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

Oh hey you're talking to Ronald Raygun there.

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »

Qt annoys me greatly. Angry
But it's probably because I'm using it in Java (Qt Jambi) and come from a .NET background where events are actually supported in the language instead of emulated with stupid reflection.

But it's still crap. Makes me appreciate the Windows Forms Designer of VS.Net.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic