Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:53:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Caveman Basketball
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Caveman Basketball  (Read 6337 times)
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »

Caveman Basketball!

The ultimate Prehistoric 2vs2 B-Ball showdown!  Grab your cave-jersey and tie up your loin cloth because this is going to be one boulder-shattering game!

Featuring:
-Naturally select your B-Ball players (Cavemen, Cavewomen, Dinos, Dinowomen, and more)
-Visit prehistoric B-Ball courts, referenced from ancient archeological B-Ball sites that may or may not have actually existed
-Matches take place before the emergence of the concept of "unsportman-like conduct", so anything can happen (clubs, boulders, slingshots, fists, claws, etc.)
-Slam dunk your way to the top and leave your opponents for extinction

SharkArm Brothers
Programming: Curt Kling (handCraftedRadio)
Art and Animation: Nate Kling

Tools:
Programming: C++, OpenGL
Art: Flash CS4

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:30:12 PM »

I really like your caveman (or woman? no beard:).
ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:10:40 PM »

Naturally select your B-Ball players

I see what you did there.

This sounds cool! I love the concept haha, looking forward to how you theme up the courts :D
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »

Awesome

hi
Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:28:25 AM »

Naturally select your B-Ball players
I see what you did there.
Shocked Whoa! Nice one, didn't notice this myself.

I totally dig the artstyle! Very reminiscent of cartoons, so I hope for cartoony animation as well  Wink The humoristic idea behind the game is a great one, and I sense the gameplay may be a little inspired by the gamecube/wii mario soccer games? With that said, bring us more progress and screenshots!

Also, the standard question: what OS(es) are you releasing this for?
namre
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »

I'm curious. What are the balls made of? o.o
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:55:54 AM »

Hah this is cool.

I like the "Arch Rivals" angle.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 09:06:56 AM »

I sense the gameplay may be a little inspired by the gamecube/wii mario soccer games? With that said, bring us more progress and screenshots!

I've never played these games before but I would love to check them out if I can get my hands on them. We are trying to look at as many sports games as we can to see what works well and what doesn't. Arch Rivals looks like a must, since it has elements of combat in it and looks hilarious.

Our main inspiration for this game is definitely NBA Jam for the SNES. Nate and I used to play this game a lot when we were kids and just started playing again as part of research for the game.

I'm curious. What are the balls made of? o.o

The one on the left is a rock b-ball I think (a bouncy rock probably.) The one on the right is a dinosaur egg b-ball.

Also, the standard question: what OS(es) are you releasing this for?

It's going to be for windows only at first. I'd like to do a mac and linux port but that almost definitely won't come until after the competition is finished. Luckilly, openGL is relatively easy to port (or so I've heard, I've never actually done it.)

Here is a couple more concept images for characters:

The game is moving along very quickly and I've run into a lot fewer programming problems than I thought. We started the game 2 days ago and almost all of the basic physics for the players, the ball, and shooting are already in place. We may have a basic b-ball game completed by the end of the day.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:31:24 PM »

Will there be special attacks? And perhaps you could have "Humans, Dinosaurs, Ancient Mammals"?
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »

Will there be special attacks?

There will be special attacks. Depending on how much time we have, there will be a couple to choose from that you can unlock throughout a game. We are debating whether you can get upgrades to your player at quarters based on how well you did.

The game is moving along very quickly and I've run into a lot fewer programming problems than I thought.

Ha never say this. Pretty much from the time I said that until now I was working on a really annoying problem I came across (about 6 hours.) It's works fine now though!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »

Hah this is cool.

Arch Rivals for nes was awful compared to the coin op version:

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »

There needs to be a METEOR DUNK

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »

This better include boom-shack-a-lack-a samples Ninja Also I like the Joe & Mac vibe from the characters, keep it up, dude!

lerv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »

Here is another good basketball game just for inspiration and reference, it's on Nes. Random youtube video:

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »

Here's a little sample of a work in progress of the dribbling dinosaur.

I did a test for a timelapse.  I suppose I'll just throw the link up although I didnt finish what I was working on in this one and its a tad too fast.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »

Making more progress. I'm having a little bit of trouble making the cpu players look like humans playing, but I guess that's ok for right now. I made a blog post about a couple technical issues I ran into, maybe someone might find it interesting:

http://www.sharkarmstudios.com/2011/01/technical-b-ball.html

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:34:43 PM »

We are still alive!  Almost finished all of the animations for the dinosaur and the caveman's animations are not far behind either.  Stay tuned for more updates!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic