Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:01:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLemma: first-person parkour
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Lemma: first-person parkour  (Read 42595 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »

Website is nice and minimal, I like it. Smiley

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »

This week I made some more progress on the new map:

I'm worried about the art direction though. The textures don't provide much useful information to the player, which makes the maps difficult to read.

I'm thinking of moving more towards the color-coded system in Mirror's Edge, but I'm not sure how to make it look good yet. I also have to communicate more information than Mirror's Edge did. The materials have three levels of "hardness", plus several special materials that work a bit like Minecraft's redstone. So it's an interesting challenge for sure.

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »

Still working on the new map. I'm experimenting with new, simpler textures.

Here's my thoughts for the color scheme so far:

• Dark gray for permanent blocks
  • Medium grey for "hard" blocks (can be destroyed by explosions but not breakable by the player)
  • White for breakable blocks that the player can smash through
  • Orange for floating blocks

Then there are the "special" blocks:
  • Yellow is neutral. You can
  • When touched by the player, neutral blocks turn blue. Blue blocks spread and can trigger explosive blocks. This means I can use yellow blocks sort of like a "fuse" as in the screenshot above.
  • Also, any walls or platforms created by the player are blue.
  • Red blocks are toxic. They also spread and take precedence over blue blocks.
  • Lastly, there's a "power source" material that "powers on" any of the special materials, taking precedence over everything. So you can defeat red blocks by connecting a power source to them.

Here's the ordinary blue material on the left and the powered blue material on the right. The red blocks are created by a "snake" enemy, but it's about to touch the powered blue blocks which will kill it.

I'm hoping these rules will allow for some simple but interesting puzzles, but I'm historically not the best at coming up with puzzles. We'll see how it goes.

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »

This week I worked on the backdrops a bit. I am trying a new type of fog which fades into a skybox rather than just a solid color. Like this:

I also added a scale parameter to my voxels and it worked right out of the box, amazingly. I'm using bigger scales for background scenery now:

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »

A Voxel apocalyptic Metroid.... How awesome is that. I've been checking out every news, it's a long-term project now I just don't really understand what prevents you from trying crowd funding with such outstanding results already?

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »

Never heard it described that way, but thanks. Smiley Funny you should mention that. In the next couple months I'm going to release another demo, launch a Kickstarter, and finally start working on it full-time.

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »

Not much to show this week, unfortunately. I did manage a decent amount of modeling:

That's the intro scene.

I gave notice at work on Monday. I'm going full-time at the end of the month. YEEEEEEEEE

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »

Super productive week!

I finished the latest map I've been working on for a few weeks now. Here you can see there's five different "triggers" that have to be activated:

They detonate five charges and the center falls in like this:

I also added some tweaks and details to the logo:

I finally realized English goes left to right, so why go against the grain? Here's a comparison showing the iterations I've gone through so far:

Last but not least, I built a standing desk out of $200 of IKEA parts:

I'm not good with my hands, but even so it was pretty easy. I highly recommend at least trying out a standing desk for the health benefits if nothing else. Here are the instructions I followed if you want to make your own!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:31:36 PM by et1337 » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »

Awesome, you have a devlog!
(I'm the guy on Twitter, who was trying to get Alpha 3 to run)

Really enjoying the Alpha, obviously very early, but the core gameplay is fun and the environments are cool. Love the look of the enemies in the GIF's on the other page, could envision some cool action/chase moments

Looking forward to the Kickstarter

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2014, 06:42:36 PM »

Oh hai! Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm itching to try out some of these enemies in some new maps. Smiley

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »

So besides walls to run on, what other things do you plan to do with the environment forming around you? That description on your site had me envisioning something like first person parkour Starseed Pilgrim, like the world forming around you as you moved, structures and gaps created by your landings, etc.

Edit: read through the devlog. Very impressive. Game has really come a long way since that little tech demo.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:16:40 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »

You probably saw it now, but the other main thing is a special mode which goes into slow motion, predicts where you're going to be, and shows possible blocks that it could create for you. It's a bit like the tears from Bioshock Infinite. Except to make them real, you don't click or anything, you just run or jump on them like you normally would, and they become solid.

I LOVE Starseed Pilgrim! I'm already moving more towards that kind of gameplay by adding more material types that are interactive.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »

You probably saw it now, but the other main thing is a special mode which goes into slow motion, predicts where you're going to be, and shows possible blocks that it could create for you. It's a bit like the tears from Bioshock Infinite. Except to make them real, you don't click or anything, you just run or jump on them like you normally would, and they become solid.

I LOVE Starseed Pilgrim! I'm already moving more towards that kind of gameplay by adding more material types that are interactive.
Actually I haven't yet. You were right about the difficulty of those levels. They were brutal and it's tough to figure out where to go and what to do.

Right now I'm here:
http://i.imgur.com/mgNnwos.jpg
And while I have an idea of what to do (which is probably to get on top of the rotating structure), accomplishing that is much tougher
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:03:49 PM by Christian » Logged

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »

Yeah the level design was really brutal. The new stuff is still probably too tough but it's an improvement. It's really hard to tell how difficult a level is when you've been played your own game for 19 zillion hours.

There's a poorly marked switch near the base of that structure. Step on the switch and it changes so that instead of that top structure rotating, the whole entire bottom structure rotates around, letting you get to the next part.

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »

This was my first week of full-time development. It was awesome.

I improved the motion blur to give a better sense of speed:

I simplified the storytelling elements and went back to the phone (some of you might remember from Alpha 1). So the phone is back, but now it's in full 3D glory:

Also, the levels are much more dynamic now because I can make parts of them animate in to existence as the player reaches certain key areas. Here's the walls of a room being built up around the player:

I also crammed in a bunch of scripting and level design on the first few levels. Expect a demo in a matter of weeks!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »

Saw the sliding image on the Screenshot Saturday page, looks much improved over the Alpha version I played

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »

This week was a lot of level design iteration and story stuff.

I modeled a lab coat:

And finally tightened up the visuals a bit on the tutorial level:

And this map just started coming together today:

And here's a gfycat of the block building animation from last week.

And if you want you can play this build I submitted for Feedback Friday. Super WIPpy, but playable.

etodd
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »

This week I overhauled the menu. It's very Valve-ish now:

I also distributed a number of mysterious notes around the levels to help flesh out the back story. They're actual 3D objects rendered and lit in the game world.

Other than that, just lots of level design iteration, scripting, and tweaking.

I've also implemented the first bit of non-linear storyline, which actually turned out pretty well. Looking to do much more non-linear stuff in the future.

I thought the very first section of the game was a bit frustrating with all the platform jumping right off the bat, so I simplified it a bit:

Clicky for Gfycat

Savick
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »

A game where tiny blocks sometimes fall like rain to make platforms for you to jump on in a first person view. Nice work so far.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »

Whoa, that GIF of the building being built around you looks awesome. Eagerly awaiting the KS and new alpha

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic