Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:22:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationMMORPG Tycoon [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: MMORPG Tycoon [FINISHED]  (Read 111367 times)
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »

I have a bad feeling about the future of this project...  Undecided

I always have a bad feeling about the future of my projects.  I've learned to ignore it.   Tongue

I'm not as far as I would have liked, at this stage of the competition.  I blame work and WiiWare.  And a slightly overambitious design.  But I think I should still have the game fully playable by the end of the weekend, which would leave me with a week for tuning and polish.

Would have liked to have been at that point last weekend, though.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 09:13:02 PM »

Tech demo crashes on launch in OS X.  Doesn't look like the Glew framework is linked in properly.

@doomlaser, mark johns
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 11:29:42 PM »

Tech demo crashes on launch in OS X.  Doesn't look like the Glew framework is linked in properly.

You're absolutely right.  Also, SDL and SDL_Mixer weren't there properly.  I think I've got it all sorted out now (or at least it works for me, even if I move my system-wide installation of the frameworks somewhere that they won't be found).  Can you try this new version to verify that the fix works for you?

Mac OS X Tech Demo 0.0.3 (Universal binary, requires OS X 10.4 or later) (1.8 mb)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »

I really wanna see this done. Smiley

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2008, 11:43:07 PM »

He's still working on it, my friend. Just go to his profile and check out the homepage link and ALL your worries should be dispelled.

“I have brought you T, Master. It took quite a lot of searching on your Galaxy’s non-holographic communications network, but no man is beyond the reach of a Sith.”

Meanwhile, poor Mr. T was left to hang upside down in the middle of the room, informing us that we were both fools, to be pitied.
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2008, 05:38:30 AM »

I really wanna see this done. Smiley

Me too!

I'm hoping to have the compo entry finished within 24 hours.  But first, sleep.  Smiley

Core gameplay and simulation logic is basically finished now (or at least, as finished as it's going to get for the compo).  I still need to implement about four or five UI screens, plus a title screen.  Which I suppose also counts as a UI screen.  But that's it.

My only major disappointment at this point is that there won't be the ability to save and restore games in this initial version.  There's just not enough time to get that done, now.  Sad   (It'll be coming in a post-compo update, though, along with a number of other fun new features and simulation improvements I have planned)
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2008, 06:45:10 AM »

Phew, all finished!  Download links for Mac and Win32 builds are in the top post.  Smiley

I'm really pleased with what I managed to get done in time for the competition.  There's some obvious stuff I wish I'd had more time to implement and tune, but by and large, I'm thrilled with the final product.

Of course, I'm still going to work to improve it further, once the contest is well and truly over.  Wink
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2008, 07:17:29 AM »

Looks awesome, but the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't seem to zoom in/out, so I can't get close enough to the zones to see/place/remove anything from the build meno. Sad

Running Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 1520 (2.00 Ghz dual core, 2.00 Gb RAM) with a GeForce 8600M GT if that helps. I'm using a Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse on a USB port. Left and right clicking work in-game, but the scroll wheel does nothing. The scroll wheel works in all other applications, though.

Edit: I turned "fullscreen" in the preferences to "0 0 0", which fixed it. I think it wasn't going into fullscreen properly, causing the bug?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:21:37 AM by Noyb » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2008, 07:22:42 AM »

Holy crap, this is actually really enjoyable. I mean, I am not a fan of MMOs, so I was thinking "how could this possibly make me interested?", and then before you know it, you're watching for forum complaints. The act of designing an addictive game becomes as addictive as the game itself. Interesting message there. And then you realize, christ, it really IS a tycoon game, just with a very different aesthetic/metaphor, but it's ultimately all about keeping the people happy.

That paradigm is fun no matter what skin it's in. Good job!

Way more fun than actually making an MMO, I'm guessing.

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2008, 07:40:04 AM »

Looks awesome, but the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't seem to zoom in/out, so I can't get close enough to the zones to see/place/remove anything from the build meno. Sad

Running Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 1520 (2.00 Ghz dual core, 2.00 Gb RAM) with a GeForce 8600M GT if that helps. I'm using a Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse on a USB port. Left and right clicking work in-game, but the scroll wheel does nothing. The scroll wheel works in all other applications, though.

Edit: I turned "fullscreen" in the preferences to "0 0 0", which fixed it. I think it wasn't going into fullscreen properly, causing the bug?

Are you still having trouble with zooming?  I was really hoping I'd be able to get away without making a configure controls dialog in this one, but if your  mouse isn't sending the standard buttons for the scroll wheel..  :/

Technically, the game will happily run at any resolution your computer supports.. I just didn't have time to build a mouse-driven interface to select one, so it does 800x600 in a window, since that's what I generally use as the default.  Sad

Also, I've uploaded bugfixed versions which address a rare crash that was pointed out to me in IRC.  Smiley
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2008, 08:03:01 AM »

I've found this bug.  It happens if you enter the game while the "Enter a game name" field is still active.  Effectively, the game thinks you're still typing the game's name, and has disabled most input, including the mouse wheel.

You can fix this at any time by pressing the Enter key (which kicks you out of string entry mode).  I'll put up a fixed build tomorrow, which will keep the bug from happening in the future.
camosid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2008, 08:51:41 AM »

For some reason there is an error when I try to extract the Windows rar. Also when I look in the actual files there isnt an exe.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2008, 08:55:21 AM »

Maybe you should use WinRAR, if you arent already.

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »

For some reason there is an error when I try to extract the Windows rar. Also when I look in the actual files there isnt an exe.

Perhaps a corrupt download?  You might try re-downloading the archive, as it's working for me at the moment..  Did you get the full 9meg zip file, or did the download stop midway through?
camosid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2008, 08:59:12 AM »

Got it. It was a corrupt download. I should have thought something when it sped through the first two times I downloaded it.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2008, 10:13:52 AM »

Tried the game, and it's pretty awesome right now, but kinda easy and lacking in depth. It doesn't take too long to figure out how to make the MMO run smoothly and drop the negative buzz to 0. Eventually I just had 10000 subscribers and let the thing run on max speed, and nothing really changed besides a decrease in positive buzz as well. Still, a VERY impressive effort for such a short time frame. It's pretty fun to watch the little users going about their grinding. :3

Though the lack of depth might be a sort of statement on how MMORPG's usually are. Tongue

EDIT:

Dev, the MMO:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:23:51 AM by Melly » Logged

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »

Awesome, Melly!  I've never had the time to actually build out a MMO to that size.  Thrilled to see it!  Did you have many troubles with server stability?  (You only have about 300 users out of 10,000 subscribers online.. that doesn't sound right to me, unless you have a bunch of overloaded regions knocking people offline when the online population gets too large.  You should be closer to about 2,000 subscribers online at once, if my calculations are correct.. though again, I've never actually had time to build up to this level, myself)

Just a couple of comments..  yes, it's not difficult to drop the negative buzz to zero once you've figured out how the MMO works.

But that's not the most interesting goal to set for yourself.  If you've got 10,000 subscribers and only have a total buzz of 6, then it pretty much means that most of your users are enjoying your game, but aren't feeling addicted to it (but check your census report to verify that). 

Ideally, you want a lot of your users addicted, because addicted folks will keep playing your game (and paying the subscription fee) even if they're unhappy with the game.  What's more, they will also post to your forums, which increases the new subscriber rate (positive buzz is better than negative buzz, but negative buzz is still much better than no buzz at all!).

To get addicted users, you have to start annoying them.  Increasing the number of xp required to gain a level will help.  Increasing monster health will help.  Giving zones a wider level range will help.  Towns give out quests to the zones immediately surrounding them, so having higher level zones adjacent to a low level town will increase the difficulty of that town's quests.  You get the idea.  Increase the risk for the users so that they do sometimes fail, and addiction levels will rise dramatically.  Smiley 

Sure, you'll get some negative buzz from this from time to time.  But all publicity is good publicity.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »

:D

I guess I'm not that evil. Tongue

Thing is, I felt like I had achieved my goal since I had maximum number of subscribers and was making a crapton of money. And with a non-addicting MMO at that. Tongue

Durruti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »

Really fantastic job, I love this. It'd be absolutely fantastic if you continued developing/adding more ideas to this game, but I like what you've done with it just for the competition.

I have noticed one little bug though. If you change the combat range to 0, it's an insta-crash. I imagine combat range means the maximum difference in level a player and a monster can have for them to fight? That's what I figured, anyway.
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2008, 09:57:20 PM »

I have noticed one little bug though. If you change the combat range to 0, it's an insta-crash. I imagine combat range means the maximum difference in level a player and a monster can have for them to fight? That's what I figured, anyway.

Whoops!  Yeah, that'll probably be a divide by zero.  And you're exactly right --  If the difference between the player and a monster's levels is greater than that number, then it'll be a very one-sided fight, and a user in that kind of fight is likely to complain about the game being too difficult or too easy (check the complaints report to see if this is happening frequently;  it can indicate that you've made a mistake in your zoning or town placement).

I've also noticed that "Monster Density" appears to be working incorrectly;  turning the density up seems to be decreasing encounter frequency.  So ignore that option for the moment;  I'll get a bug fix up as soon as I can track down these issues.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic