Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:47:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)DungeonCraft: Depths of Despair [ Multiplayer dungeon simulator! ]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: DungeonCraft: Depths of Despair [ Multiplayer dungeon simulator! ]  (Read 13926 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:19:52 AM »

(old artwork! I'll probably just use the name DungeonCraft in the non-compo version of the game)

Depths of Despair is a graphical multiplayer roguelike\dungeon sim.
An epic quest with up to 4 player-controlled heroes versus an evil dungeon master.

Each match starts with the generation of a dungeon floor (procedurally).

The player doing the Dungeon Master can set traps and spawn mobs, the game will play a bit like faster paced, simplified Dungeon Keeper. The dungeon master needs to defeat the players before they stole his treasure and escape the dungeon.

Other players will play it like a normal hack'n'slash game, pretty much like Zelda. They'll roam, they'll fight, they'll cast spells, and they'll happily loot all the shit they can.

Stay tuned for awesome mockups.

features:

Hand Shake Left Hand crafted vector art.
Hand Shake Left Online Multiplayer
Hand Shake Left Possibility for a player to ally with the dungeon master and betray the others (?)
Hand Shake Left Stuff to kill!
Hand Shake Left Stuff to loot!
Hand Shake Left Traps!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:42:56 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »

Doing good looking vector art is harder than I thought, but I'm slowly improving at it!

This is a tileset, even if then I added gradients to simulate a sort of ambient occlusion and now I'm not sure it will tile well  Facepalm

EDIT: just tried mixing the pieces and it tiles resonably well Grin I'm lucky! Next time i'll plan it better instead of just going crazy with the art.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:58:53 AM by Eclipse » Logged

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:02:40 AM »

If someone is curious about my workflow, I just did a grid with different signs to make sure every piece can tile well with every other:

Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »

These tiles are some of the best graphics I've seen in the competition so far! Gorgeous! You say doing vector art is hard? I say you're doing fine! What tools are you using in making this game?

Gameplay seems pretty easy to understand, and should be fun. Seems like a solid game overall. And for the record:
If someone is curious about my workflow <...>
I am! Any pictures, screenshots and whatever else are of interest. Keep us updated!  Coffee
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

I'm using the good old Paint Shop Pro 9  Big Laff
It's easier than Photoshop, has a clean interface and the basic stuff to do vector art and mix it with raster layers Smiley

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about Corel Paint Shop Pro but Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9. Corel bought the software years ago and did shitty versions oriented to photo retouching, as it was too similar to their own Corel Painter\Draw.

There's also a PSP9 version by Corel, it's the same as Jasc PSP9, just with a different splash screen.

I've started with the characters, as time is short I'll probably go for a set of premade adventurers, each one with different class and skills instead of doing a character editor. Maybe I'll do that after the compo.

I did a sort of anonymous puppet I'll use to test poses and animations:

hopefully it will speed up animating the sprites

And this is the first character, a Dwarf Warrior

I've cheated here, as I did him before the compo, I wanted to make a game with this graphical style before  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:42:05 PM by Eclipse » Logged

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »

diggin' the graphical style  Smiley is that last mockup with the dwarf the game screen size ratio? if so, very Gameboyish  Grin

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 01:34:16 PM »

diggin' the graphical style  Smiley is that last mockup with the dwarf the game screen size ratio? if so, very Gameboyish  Grin

it will be larger, something like 800x600 Smiley

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »

Really loving the visuals.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »

I remember that Dwarf! You made a logo too, but I can't remember what for...

Oh, yes, on topic: This game looks absolutely beautiful. The idea sounds fun, too!
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 02:48:57 PM »

ok yes, those are probably the most awesome tiles I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of tiles.  Kiss

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 03:08:40 PM »

Beautiful tiles, and the concept (1 DM vs several adventure players) is something I've wanted to play/make for a long time. I look forward to trying this one!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »

Kiss thank you guys!

ok yes, those are probably the most awesome tiles I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of tiles.  Kiss
Thanks a lot Sophie!
I love your games, and from time to time I answer you on twitter, I'm @WaveringRadiant  Grin

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »

today was a sloooow day Sad
I had to work on several other projects and I took only few time for the game.

Anyway, 8-directions puppet is go!

Tomorrow will be a coding day, I'll set up networking!

This project is starting to sound really ambitious, but I really really like it the way it is. Hope to get at least a good looking demo for the end of the compo.

I remember that Dwarf! You made a logo too, but I can't remember what for...
It was for a Dwarf Fortess \ Dungeon Keeper clone Smiley Something I'll do with the same codebase of this game.  Smiley Hand Shake Left
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:43:40 PM by Eclipse » Logged

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »

looks good, but why does the head shape change straight on or straight back?
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 03:06:57 AM »

that's a good question Tongue I still need to find which one I like the most. I'll probably just change it slightly from character to character.
Stay tuned for the first run cycle animation! I'm shaping it as we speak Smiley

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 06:37:54 AM »

You've hooked me with the dwarf! The character art has a very "craft" feel to it. Looking forward to this.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »

The art reminds me of those Dwarf Fortress story images posted some time ago. I really adore the look!

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »

Agreed with everyone above me; the style is great! I've got a craving to see a walk cycle. and how it'll look full size.  Kiss

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »

The art reminds me of those Dwarf Fortress story images posted some time ago. I really adore the look!

man those stories were awesome! and as you can see I love that art style too Smiley

Agreed with everyone above me; the style is great! I've got a craving to see a walk cycle. and how it'll look full size.  Kiss

Thanks guys I'm so happy to receive such compliments, keep me motivated and with a warm fuzzy feeling while I work. I love this community so much  Kiss

Ok here we are with today update:

Minitutorial
How to bring a puppet to life
The easy way

Step 1:

Do a quick and doodly set of frames over your character if you're not sure how your animation will look, something like:

Step 2:

Put the frames inside boxes for a cleaner and easier to use charset. Draw a line for the floor and an inverted cross to evocate the satanic powers requested for this act of necromancy to correctly align the frames inside the box so they don't shift around while playing the animation.

Step 3:

Then using the mystical power of a gif creator animate the doodly doll to life:

Step 4:
At this point you actually remember you needed to animate the real character and not a stupid doodle and you start doing the real work:

Step 5:
And finally:

Prolly it needs few more frames as flat colors makes thing more confusing but it's just a puppet, in-game characters will have gradients

Now only other 4 directions to go!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:25:23 PM by Eclipse » Logged

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »

I love seeing different people's workflows like this. Thanks for sharing!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic