Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:48:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingTrying to pick up best translation for russian name
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Trying to pick up best translation for russian name  (Read 10241 times)
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »

For whatever it's worth, I think "Aughts" sounds great.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 01:43:47 AM »

I don't like 'Hollows', it just reminds me of Kingdom Hearts. Especially as these entities you're describing do sound kind of like the Hollows in KH...

My 2c.

chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 07:20:18 AM »

What of Nihils?
Nihils doesn't work for me. I'm not sure how to pronounce it, and either way the h in the middle gives it a weird weak sound.

Okay, this is quite convincing. It's also the way of my dislike for '-ities'.

If it hasn't been suggested yet, "Nulls". This has a bit of a sci-fi sound to me; it's the kind of name that Robert Heinlein would give to people without superhuman intelligence, or something like that.

Null is also fine suggestion, but i'm afraid of it's negative connotations. Google tells me it could also mean 'invalid', 'insignificant', 'bogus', 'indistinctive', 'featureless' and 'feeble; Concerned Erm.. yeah, i understand it's all about context and almost every try before means same things, but.. shit, it's hard to not know english Smiley

nils.

Nils are fine. Matching with a previous one this has surprisingly clear translation. If anyone is still here — what do you think of pair nils-voids, when 'voids' is a next stage of character's evolution, sort of 'consuming nothing'?

nots.

Nots. Good one too. I used to avoid it beacause of it's pure simplicity, but now i do like it. Also need to know your associations with this one.

nichevok.  (while it doesn't carry any meaning in english, it's a really cool sounding word, and the "nich" start reminds me of german "nicht", which is related to english "not" and probably to the russian as well.)

Shit, that's really risky leg Grin Honestly, i'm not so sure in the whole thing to push my own terms into your language. I'm not ready Smiley

For whatever it's worth, I think "Aughts" sounds great.

If choosing from Noughts-Naughts-Aughts, which one is better? I hope you tried the demo and can choose according idea.

I don't like 'Hollows', it just reminds me of Kingdom Hearts. Especially as these entities you're describing do sound kind of like the Hollows in KH...

My 2c.

Never played it, but i went Wiki and read about it. Funny and oddish twist of many good things Smiley But is it 'Heartless' used as names for those black antsy guys? Hollow Bastion, anyway. I got your point, thanks. Hollows is out.

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »

Noids

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 05:23:17 AM »

My 2c.

Never played it, but i went Wiki and read about it. Funny and oddish twist of many good things Smiley But is it 'Heartless' used as names for those black antsy guys? Hollow Bastion, anyway. I got your point, thanks. Hollows is out.
Gah, you're right Facepalm I was getting confused between Kingdom Hearts and Bleach. But my point is still pretty much the same, either way it gives me high school/anime/fanfiction vibes.

Breadcultist
Level 1

(inactive)

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »

Keep 'nichevok'? Names don't need to be translated.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 04:03:43 AM »

Keep 'nichevok'? Names don't need to be translated.
Yeah i second this. maybe with a subtitle...
increpare
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 05:42:45 AM »

Nonad as Monad with N? This's really new word, it gives some weird meanings. What comes to your mind with it, what things?
It was a joke suggestion.  'gonad' resonates quite strongly with it...
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »

The dictionary connotations you saw for "nulls" were not common ones.  Null in english most often refers to something that's no longer relevant or valid, but understandably refers to nothingness or emptiness.

EG:  My contract was null because my employer never paid me.  So I had no obligation to finish my work for them.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
increpare
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »

The dictionary connotations you saw for "nulls" were not common ones.  Null in english most often refers to something that's no longer relevant or valid, but understandably refers to nothingness or emptiness.

EG:  My contract was null because my employer never paid me.  So I had no obligation to finish my work for them.
I'd say 'void' fits in that context far more naturally than 'null', which sounds awkward to my ears.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »

You pronounce it "ŅičEivo".

chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 02:35:28 AM »

You pronounce it "ŅičEivo".
It it a question? If yes — i don't know, really, this way of recording sounds is unknown to me Smiley
It sounds like Google says it:
http://translate.google.ru/?hl=ru&tab=wT#ru|en|%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%BE
(copy entire string and push left 'Listen' button).
It's 'nekas' for you in latvian.

chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »

I think it's enough, thank you, everybody. Now it's even harder to make a pick Smiley
There is a top-list:
noughts, nones, naughts, nouts, noids, nots, aughts, nils, nulls.
It should be plural, common (not a proper name), no "the" at the begining. Besides the original name in russian (in transliteration with subtitle) could be added, as Breadcultist and Chromanoid offered.
Everyone, please pick three of this list.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 10:41:01 AM »

naughts, nots, aughts

(it would be easier if we knew the story)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:33:44 PM by Pishtaco » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »

keep the original russian because none of these options sounds particularly great

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Captain_404
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 12:35:18 PM »

Agreed on nichevok, I don't really think it needs to change from the Russian.
ink.inc
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »

+1 for Russia
chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »

And, finally, it is Nichevoks. Thank to all of you!
See you soon at devlog (which is not here yet).

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic